[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

I ended up going with the modem I linked in my post because it came highly recommended, was one of the few modems that specifically mentioned it works with WOW!, had four ethernet ports, and was in stock and on sale. So far it is working pretty good. I did a speed test when I set it up and got 103 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up, which considering my plan is 100 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up, its actually exceeding that.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
2 years ago
It makes me really happy to read these stories of people getting their vaccinations. I know the side effects can be a bear, but at least you know it's working! Thank you.
It really is a no-brainer for me. I work in an oncology practice and even being non-clinical I still interact with patients from time to time. Even a single case would obliterate our patients en masse. Aside from that, my view of the pandemic is firmly rooted in logic, science and epidemiology. NZ has it's fair share of doubters, deniers and tinfoil hatters but I've yet to hear a cogent reason to not get it done.
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
cryogen wrote:
2 years ago
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Got my first vaccine dose (pfizer) today and feelin alright so far. Super stoked to maybe get back to normal-ish, at least being able to have vaccinated friends over for magic!
Congrats! I got Moderna and no ill effects beyond a sore arm. I go full 5G on Wednesday, so fingers crossed. I keep hearing that the second dose is worse.
Second dose kicked my ass for about 14 hours and then relented. It's really not so bad if you can handle semi-violent temperature shifts and a headache on an errand of meaness.
I got Pfizer, first dose yesterday. Shoulder is achy, but that's standard for intramuscular injections. From what I've heard it's the second dose that gets nasty.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

I feel like all I've been coming here to do is complain lately... but, oh well.

I feel like I've spent most of the day on the phone trying to get problems fixed. I am currently working from home, and the VoIP phone I brought from work stopped working due to the fact that Windows updated over the weekend. So I call the VoIP provider to get this problem fixed. I've had this problem once before and the person on the phone was able to solve it. The problem is the easiest and "technically" correct solution is to plug it directly into the modem, as that is the recommended set-up, but due to the layout of my home office, etc. that just isn't possible unless I want to be rolling over the cable or having the ethernet cable over my head, so I have to wire my VoIP through my computer. This isn't the preferred set-up, but it is viable, and has worked fine previously.

So I explain to the customer service person very clearly I know that the recommended set-up says to have it connected to the modem. And I explain that I am unable to set-up the phone that way and here is how I have it set-up. And that I know exactly what the problem is, that Windows updated. I also gave him my previous case number and the name of the technician who solved it before. And all I wanted was info on how the previous technician solved the problem for me previously and if this would be able to be something I could do myself, on my end, if this comes up again.

We are then on the phone for an hour and a half, with him saying over and over again that the solution is to wire it directly into the modem or that the "phone isn't getting enough internet" (which might be technically true, but is like saying I have a cough, it's only a symptom). When I tell him that it was fixed previously, he then replies "Yes, but it is recommended that you plug it into the modem so you don't have this problem again." When I ask if he could try and ask the other technician what he did to fix it, he either changed the subject or repeated that the fix is to "plug it into the modem". Finally he suggests that I talk to a supervisor, but then says it will have to be through a ticket. I've yet to receive the ticket and I don't have the energy to call back. The whole thing was like banging my head against a brick wall.

On the brighter side of customer service, I talked to WoW! Was on for like twenty minutes to switch to internet only, have a technician coming in a week for free to take back the equipment I was renting and make sure the modem I bought is set-up correctly, had a pleasant chat about streaming services with the technician, and also my internet is only $29.99 a month, not $50 (apparently billing which I talked to last week, which is separate from the services department, quoted me the rate for the wrong plan, but it was a good mistake on my end). I will say I hate their data cap, but they have damn good customer service. And I know how bad it can get in internet customer service. I had to help when my business was switching offices with Comcast. That right there is nightmare level customer service, and that was only to switch offices, not canceling.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 2 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
2 years ago
It makes me really happy to read these stories of people getting their vaccinations. I know the side effects can be a bear, but at least you know it's working! Thank you.
Phew! At least it's only a 2/2. Imagine if it were a beast or even a dragon.

But for real, it's also a no-brainer for me as well. Besides living with high risk people at home, I don't want to get sick and would actually like to visit my parents at some point.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

On a positive note, my LGS used this time during covid to do a remodel project at the store. Its kind of a nice time for him to do that since he was not having any events during this last year so the shop is a lot more open now (it used to be two connected rooms). He optimistically put a date of a few weeks from now that he was hoping to allow people to have small pods of commander night while masked in the future.

Really hoping to maybe get to get some IRL games in again. I get my second Maderna shot here in like a week and a half.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 2 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
2 years ago
Also a no-brainer here. I spend a lot of time at the doctors (especially lately) for a chronic illness and the last thing I need is the additional risk of getting sick while I'm in an out >.<
BRG "Toolbox" |B Xiahou Dun | UB Tegwyll | RG Hans | WB Astarion

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Am I the only one who gets annoyed whenever they print cards like Archaeomancer's Map and stick the world "basic" in front of "plains" as though it would be hideously busted if we tutored up a shockland or Mistveil Plains? C'mon, there's already 15 fetchlands that happily search up nonbasic lands with basic land types, the cat's already out of the bag. It's just annoying to have a card say "NO! You don't get to exploit me at all, you must use me exactly as intended with no synergies, please and thank you."
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Am I the only one who gets annoyed whenever they print cards like Archaeomancer's Map and stick the world "basic" in front of "plains" as though it would be hideously busted if we tutored up a shockland or Mistveil Plains?
I thought I was the only one. I've been annoyed by it for decades.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Do you remember the first one that annoyed you? I remember first being peeved about Myriad Landscape because on first read I thought you could do clever things like tutor a Tundra and a Plateau to get amazing fixing. Tragically it was not to be, the fun police got there first. Defund the fun police, wizards!
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Am I the only one who gets annoyed whenever they print cards like Archaeomancer's Map and stick the world "basic" in front of "plains" as though it would be hideously busted if we tutored up a shockland or Mistveil Plains? C'mon, there's already 15 fetchlands that happily search up nonbasic lands with basic land types, the cat's already out of the bag. It's just annoying to have a card say "NO! You don't get to exploit me at all, you must use me exactly as intended with no synergies, please and thank you."
They're just hedging against breaking the format when they print an even more busted Mystic Sanctuary for white.

/s

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 2 years ago

This is one of the reasons I believe Rampant Hawk to be far, far better than people give it credit for. It doesn't have that stipulation, and feeds my Cabal Coffers/Crypt Ghast as I pull out all the duals WotC has given us. Rampant Hawk is a baller card in general though, I routinely get multiple lads off it. Is it a playgroup thing that I rarely have trouble connecting with someone more ramped up than me in the sky?

I'm not actually that fussed by most of the basic stipulations. The recent wave of white help only feels a bit off to me because Rampant Hawk came first and did not have that clause, but it's objectively fine. Might force a bit of mental gymnastics on how to execute basic versus nonbasic ratios in a deck.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

While not hard and fast, I have noticed lately that if the land searching costs 4+ and has some sort of condition/delay, you can search for a non-basic (Binding the Old Gods & Spirit of the Aldergard). On the other hand, if it costs three or less, it can only grab basics (Pilgrim of the Ages & Archaeomancer's Map). There are exceptions, like when they make new cards with an old mechanic like Plainscycling (Angel of the Ruins) for example.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

I am still annoyed at how strong Mystic Sanctuary was in comparison to Idyllic Grange (I had to look up its name cus its so bad). It seems like of late whenever wizards breaks the format its in how busted UG have been. Where is my format warping white / red / black effects?
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I really prefer the white search to be focused on Plains, not basic Plains or Basic Lands. It's just cool. Tithe is pretty much the pinnacle of that effect for me and I think it's a huge untapped area of White's color pie.

If they printed some cards in white that were basically color-shifted Nature's Lore and Wood Elves but with a more forgiving multiplayer clause than Knight of the White Orchid -- "Less than or equal" rather than "less than" -- I think white could be in a solid place in commander pretty quickly.

With Archaeomancer's Map we're really close to being able to build a decent ramp package in white that doesn't depend so heavily on mana rocks - it's slower than green, but it's really reliable because of cards like Land Tax, Gift of Estates and Tithe that generate high rates of card advantage.

Cartographer's Hawk was a really good try I think, but I still have yet to get it ticking so I can't say for sure.

I think the next step is to lean into the 'oh you've got a hand full of plains do ya?' effects, as Scroll Rack is already a beautiful effect with this already, but maybe in the actual color :) Giving white a way to turn excess plains into cards in a thematically appropriate way would be pretty dope.

Thirst for Wheaties incoming

toctheyounger

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
I really prefer the white search to be focused on Plains, not basic Plains or Basic Lands. It's just cool. Tithe is pretty much the pinnacle of that effect for me and I think it's a huge untapped area of White's color pie.
Fully agree. White ramp is already fairly conditional and at best gives us parity with the table for lands in play, the least they can do is give us the option for plains over basic plains. Best case you're getting Flagstones of Trokair or Mistveil Plains, that's not actually that much to ask.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Flagstones not a plains sadly, man that would be lit

toctheyounger

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Flagstones not a plains sadly, man that would be lit
Oh I'm stupid. I thought it was my bad. Well I guess you've still got the option of various duals etc, which still isn't really that much to ask.

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

Just played a couple of games with high CMC tribal noteable plays include Primal Surge for 0. xD

13 Mindshrieker triggers to make it a 93/93

Also, High CMC tribal is super weak to Haktos the Unscarred. Shocking.

Legend
Aethernaut

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Do you remember the first one that annoyed you?
Did I say "decades"? I meant "millennia". Haha. I don't even remember what I was thinking when I typed that. Had just woken up and have been in an illness (not COVID) induced fog for days.

EDIT: Did I say "days"? I meant "weeks".

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Do you remember the first one that annoyed you?
Did I say "decades"? I meant "millennia". Haha. I don't even remember what I was thinking when I typed that. Had just woken up and have been in an illness (not COVID) induced fog for days.

EDIT: Did I say "days"? I meant "weeks".
Admiral, if we go "by the book". like Lieutenant Saavik, hours could seem like days.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 2 years ago

At last I am getting vaccinated with Pfizer in May. Sometimes there are perks in being a teacher! Also booking online vaccination dates enthusiasm > booking online dates for airtickets (never thought I'd type this!)
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

Legend
Aethernaut

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
Admiral, if we go "by the book". like Lieutenant Saavik, hours could seem like days.
Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Even when I was a kid in the 80's seeing the films for the first time, I preferred Robin Curtis to Kirstie Alley in the role. Neither was a familiar face at the time, so I had no preconceived notions, but Kristie's acting (if we can call it that) was unconvincing (even for Star Trek). I mean, like most every Star Trek actor, she was just being herself trying to act like she was in the future, I guess lots of great Trek characters were established like that, but she lacked any founding qualities. Or to put it another way, her only distinction was feeling like she didn't belong to the Star Trek universe.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Even when I was a kid in the 80's seeing the films for the first time, I preferred Robin Curtis to Kirstie Alley in the role. Neither was a familiar face at the time, so I had no preconceived notions, but Kristie's acting (if we can call it that) was unconvincing (even for Star Trek). I mean, like most every Star Trek actor, she was just being herself trying to act like she was in the future, I guess lots of great Trek characters were established like that, but she lacked any founding qualities. Or to put it another way, her only distinction was feeling like she didn't belong to the Star Trek universe.
I had to look up the quote to be sure i got it right, it's fun watching the movies with the text commentary which gets really snarky at times.

EDIT: Since I have xbox game pass ultimate, i had planned to download Microsoft flight sim 2020 but it's close to 200gb :dizzy: .
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 2 years ago

Well add me to the list of people who get their asses kicked by the second Moderna dose. Feels like the flu.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

Hang in there and drink lots of water, should only be a day or so based on everyone I've talked to.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”