[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

Apparently some don't get that Sheldon also answers non-commander questions for example:

"Was ama supposed to create smokescreen with sheldon "listening players" to be specific dozen that actually uses nexus and read thread while in reality answering pointless question?

Or was it actually clarify sotuations surroinding rc cag and general edh?"
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
I want to see Sheldon buy up like 1,000 copies of Recurring Nightmare and then unban it so that he gets his pay.
I actually had a semi serious thought about buying another 90 copies and making them the sleeve of my Karador deck. But then I realized that this might actually persuade the RC to never unban it. Plus, I would probably only get halfway there (around $500) before I tripped a spec spike and made it even more to get the rest.

Besides, am I really going to dump $1k on a meme?
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
Apparently some don't get that Sheldon also answers non-commander questions for example:

"Was ama supposed to create smokescreen with sheldon "listening players" to be specific dozen that actually uses nexus and read thread while in reality answering pointless question?

Or was it actually clarify sotuations surroinding rc cag and general edh?"
These are the same people who think he gets paid instead of doing it out of the goodness of his heart, and feel like he owes them something. There's lots of stupid, selfish, myopic people out there in the world, sadly.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
I want to see Sheldon buy up like 1,000 copies of Recurring Nightmare and then unban it so that he gets his pay.
I actually had a semi serious thought about buying another 90 copies and making them the sleeve of my Karador deck. But then I realized that this might actually persuade the RC to never unban it. Plus, I would probably only get halfway there (around $500) before I tripped a spec spike and made it even more to get the rest.

Did you unknowingly create a speculation buyout on it lol. I guess if the price stays high you can always bail out of it and make some money.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

cryogen
GΘΔ†

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago

Did you unknowingly create a speculation buyout on it lol. I guess if the price stays high you can always bail out of it and make some money.
Well I made it as far as adding about 50 in my TCG cart. It worked out to just over $20 a copy for played copies. St that point I would be buying onesies and twosies, and at risk of causing a spike from the perceived buyout (which let's be honest it basically would have been).

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I for one own several copies of foil gifts ungiven and an untold number of normal copies (20 or some odd I guess) that I've accumulated.

Feels way more likely than RN ;)

cryogen
GΘΔ†

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
I for one own several copies of foil gifts ungiven and an untold number of normal copies (20 or some odd I guess) that I've accumulated.

Feels way more likely than RN ;)
Agreed. It's been reprinted once (twice?) and not reserve list, so I would expect to see a similar spike like we saw with Protean Hulk if Gifts were unbanned.

Recurring Nightmare would probably triple in price and stay around there permanently.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

So what you guys are saying is that I should dump all my savings into Recurring Nightmare. I'm on it.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

cryogen
GΘΔ†

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
So what you guys are saying is that I should dump all my savings into Recurring Nightmare. I'm on it.
Shouldn't everyone?

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

Whenever RN gets passed to me in a draft, whatever I was doing before I'm now doing RN. I just can't help it.

pokken

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Shouldn't everyone?
The funny thing is I think if it spiked they'd be even less likely to ever unban it :P

So everyone sell recurring nightmare! Except me. Everyone except me.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

Can I tell you guys something? I used to think I liked Star Wars, but I recently sat down and realized that...I don't. Out of the nine core movies of the Skywalker Saga, two are excellent, three are fine, one is okay, and three are really bad. I had just began to accept my status as someone who is indifferent to Star Wars, but then I just started watching the Mandalorian, and it's really good. I'm so confused.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Segrus

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Can I tell you guys something? I used to think I liked Star Wars, but I recently sat down and realized that...I don't. Out of the nine core movies of the Skywalker Saga, two are excellent, three are fine, one is okay, and three are really bad. I had just began to accept my status as someone who is indifferent to Star Wars, but then I just started watching the Mandalorian, and it's really good. I'm so confused.
You aren't alone on that. Haven't really enjoyed the franchise since Rogue One came out (although at some point I'll sit down and try the newest Star Wars game). I haven't seen The Mandalorian though, and probably won't unless a friend sits me down and makes me. The barrier there is I just don't plan on ever getting Disney+.

pokken

I can't even watch empire anymore, most of the SW movies are just medium. The quality of dialog and storytelling has gotten so good in film/TV that I find it hard to watch things that are so terribly written. The new ones were pretty much universally disastrous, ranging from "barely palatable" to "hot garbage."

I realized after playing an SW Rpg that what I liked about Star Wars was mostly my imagination in the universe.

My favorite star wars product was absolutely the KOTOR video games though. Man those were great.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

I'm torn on the matter. I absolutely LOVED the original trilogy (a prerequisite since I grew up with them). The prequel trilogy was hot garbage even though I respect them for the overall story. I actually enjoyed the sequel trilogy even though I know some people took issue with them. No spoilers for Ep9 even though I know everyone probably already saw it by now, but some of the stuff coming out as behind the scenes cannon I disagree with but decided that I'll just ignore it. As for the stand alone movies, they didn't do anything for me and I'm never getting Disney+ so unlikely that I'll the Mandolorean.

But yeah, over time the magic fades. It doesn't help that they only show the contaminated original trilogy, and not the real one.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

@Segrus, @cryogen for the price of several dollars for just having the service for a month (unless you manage to binge within the 7-day trial) or alternately getting a friend to share it with you, The Mandalorian is well worth it in my opinion.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

Some years ago there was a DVD release of the original trilogy that had the original theatrical releases as bonus features and that remains one of the better purchases in my life.

Completely agree that The Mandalorian is worth kicking Disney a few bucks for a month. I enjoyed that one a lot.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Segrus

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
unless you manage to binge within the 7-day trial
YOU UNDERESTIMATE MY POWER.

Also, I'm honestly content just doing without. If we didn't already own nearly every Disney film we'd care to watch, then it might be a different story.

pokken

I already have Hulu so the extra 6 bucks for disney wasn't hard to coax out of me - the kiddo watches it a lot.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Segrus, cryogen for the price of several dollars for just having the service for a month (unless you manage to binge within the 7-day trial) or alternately getting a friend to share it with you, The Mandalorian is well worth it in my opinion.
It's something to consider. With a 2yo I'm sure I'll have to cave in the next few years regardless.
SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
Some years ago there was a DVD release of the original trilogy that had the original theatrical releases as bonus features and that remains one of the better purchases in my life.

Completely agree that The Mandalorian is worth kicking Disney a few bucks for a month. I enjoyed that one a lot.
I had the original trilogy on VHS, and I think I might have had in on DVD as well. In fact, I think I may still have it.

pokken

They have Gargoyles on the Disney streaming service. :)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

I'm with @RxPhantom and @pokken on this one. The best thing about SW in general for me is the nostalgia factor. I liked them ok back in the day but I do wonder how much of that was people hyping it to an impressionable 7 year old. Since then I've read dozens of books that follow the same archetypal story and have realized how derivative the story is.

The originals are pretty bad. People give the story waaay more credit than it deserves. Like Jedi is pretty much a rehash of Hope and either no one notices or they look the other way. The prequels are best not talked about in general. Middle of the road at best. The latest are ok, but again, relatively predictable.

Best thing about the series is John Williams imo.

The Mandalorian is pretty good to be fair, although maybe that's because Lucas had nothing to do with it.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Segrus

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
They have Gargoyles on the Disney streaming service. :)
We got disk copies of the series awhile back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Best thing about the series is John Williams imo.

The Mandalorian is pretty good to be fair, although maybe that's because Lucas had nothing to do with it.
John Williams is awesome. No doubt about it. Still can't help enjoying lightsaber fights and how menacing Darth Vader is. If Disney came out and said they were making a Darth Vader film that wasn't going to pull punches, and the plot was his ship getting downed by Rebels and he had to fight through scores of them to get to an extraction point...well, I'd get D+ for that. Maybe. But I think there's little chance they make a brutal Vader movie like that for a franchise they hope to milk toy sales from.

And I don't feel like Star Wars screw ups/problems are necessarily limited to George Lucas. I think there's a lot to be said for his capacity for imagination.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

I'd like to see the Darth Bane arc (Rule of One that turned the Sith from an evil Jedi training academy into the Master/Apprentice model seen in the movies) brought to the big screen. I enjoyed those books.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
(Rule of One that turned the Sith from an evil Jedi training academy into the Master/Apprentice model seen in the movies)
I am impressed that this was a power-consolidation move because they understood how the force works better than the Jedi did. :grin:

But this is also why I like MBC, probably.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”