[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

Sometimes things are just taken for granted, and you don't realize you need to reevaluate them until someone actually questions it.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
We've been taking the feedback on board and working on some streamlining behind the scenes.
This is one of the reasons I love this place. This is a topic that I didn't feel was something that was up for debate; it felt like a sacrosanct element of deck discussion. I'm very glad that we have an open and objective sounding board here. I've really enjoyed this discussion. Thank you all.
The committee exists to serve the community, not to tell you what's good and bad. Were there to make it easier to promote your build, and if we don't communicate with you we don't know for sure we're doing that. So from the side of the folks on the committee I can say that as beneficial as you've found this open discussion we've found the same benefit. So likewise, thank you all for sharing your thoughts, abd please feel free to continue doing so.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

Lest we forget that this is actually the Off-Topic Forum, I got my second COVID immunization today. First, contain your envy! Second, I beseech every single one of you: get the shot whenever you can and encourage your friends and family to do the same. Please.

EDIT: I don't normally traffic in old-timey language like "lest" and "beseech," let alone twice in one post. I beg thee forgiveness, forsooth!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
Lest we forget that this is actually the Off-Topic Forum, I got my second COVID immunization today. First, contain your envy! Second, I beseech every single one of you: get the shot whenever you can and encourage your friends and family to do the same. Please.

EDIT: I don't normally traffic in old-timey language like "lest" and "beseech," let alone twice in one post. I beg thee forgiveness, forsooth!
Pfizer vaccine?
Is it available to everyone in the US or only elderly/healthcare workers? In Canada they are still working on elderly/healthcare workers.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 3 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago

Pfizer vaccine?
Is it available to everyone in the US or only elderly/healthcare workers? In Canada they are still working on elderly/healthcare workers.
It can vary by state and supply. My state just recently started doing 70+ as the next phase and started it off with healthcare workers. Hasn't opened up to everyone yet.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago

Pfizer vaccine?
Mine was Pfizer, yes. The pace and organization of the rollout varies state by state and even county by county. Being a pharmacist, I was among the first to be eligible. There are two more phases before the "everybody who wants it can get it" phase. We're not expected to get there until summer, but three other companies have their own vaccines on the horizon, and that makes me hopeful.
Last edited by RxPhantom 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

My state is at Essential Frontline (Healthcare), 70+, and just recently 65+ and high risk medical patients. Several government buildings/employees have somehow managed to sneak ahead of line as well. Schools/Teachers have also managed to maneuver into the Frontline Essential category, rather than "Other Essential."

I am well aware that my category of regular schmuck puts me at the very end of the line, so I'm not expecting it to be available for me until June or even later. This means that I am the only member of my immediate family that has not gotten the vaccine (70+, high risk, teacher, and gov), but as a young(er), without high medical risk, who was already working from home 95% of the time before covid... I don't exactly have any room to complain.

EDIT: Oh hey, I just took the assessment for the "where are you in line?" and apparently despite answering "Does not Apply" to almost every single question, I apparently am eligible for the "Other Essential" phase?

Ok - I just took it again, actually answering DNA to everything - it's going to depend heavily on what is included in the "IT/Communications" job question. I'm going to assume that means actual IT repair/Verizon/etc type workers, and not "Communications and Web Developer." This changes the answer from "Next Phase" to "Whenever the hell we've got it for you."

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago

I'm still waiting for mine. Post Office isn't a high priority. I saw a casual acquaintance announce on Facebook that he got his from the VA, and I'm wondering how he got to the front of the line.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

Primer Writers:
I've made some changes and added functions.
If something has suddenly changed and you don't like it (header lost margin), edit your post, make any small change, and resave.
It'll revert to the previous default.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago

I'm still waiting for mine. Post Office isn't a high priority. I saw a casual acquaintance announce on Facebook that he got his from the VA, and I'm wondering how he got to the front of the line.
I can only speculate about your VA acquaintance. It's possible that he may have lucked into it. Once my pharmacy starts giving it out, people will need to understand that their shot won't be saved if they miss their appointment. Once punctured, the vials become unusable after six hours. If someone misses an appointment, that shot is going into an arm, and it won't matter much what phase we're in; I'll just need a willing recipient.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

I know whining about bad topdecks is boring and cringey, but I think I'm allowed one topdeck rant after playing for 20 years.

Let me set the stage.

I live in NZ, where paper is playable, at my LGS's prerelease. It's the last match of the night, game 3, at the undefeated table. I'm playing mardu with some boast synergies, a Kaya, and some other goodies. My opponent is playing bant with, honestly, some really weak cards in it, but I lost game 2 flooding out against a toski + flyers. I draw my 7 and it looks strong if a little unusual – Fearless Liberator, Infernal Pet, Calamity Bearer, and Dwarven Reinforcements, with a mountain, swamp, and RB snow land for mana. No white cards nor white mana. But it's an obvious keep with a strong curve.

Turn 1 I'm on the play and play the dual.

Turn 2 I draw a mountain. Generally satisfied since it guarantees my calamity bearer on curve, though wishing it was a white source (white is my lightest color, I have 6 sources), I play a mountain and the liberator.

Turn 3 I draw a swamp. Slightly annoyed now about not getting any gas nor white lands, but I get a free liberator activation so I take it.

Turn 4 I draw a mountain. Getting a bit frustrated now, but at least I have the calamity bearer in play, while my opponent has the 3/2 cleric with the +2/+2 aura on it. I'm happy to 2-for-1 him on the trade, but unfortunately he plays toski again.

Turn 5 I draw a swamp. Unreal. I can't attack into the toski so I play the pet and foretell the dwarven reinforcements. He fateseals my top card and leaves it there. FML.

Turn 6 My worst fears are realized when I draw a mountain. This is getting ridiculous but I know I'll be running out of red/black-only sources soon since I only have 5 each of mountains and swamp, plus the dual land. By this point I'm hard on the defensive. He puts another crappy +2/+2 aura on toski, putting me in chump-block mode. There's 2 removals in my deck that can hit Toski so I could still maybe salvage this.

Turn 7 I draw a mountain. This is insane. There are only 2 more nonwhite lands in the entire deck. This has to end. He starts setting up flyers. My window of opportunity is starting to close.

Turn 8 I draw my first nonland on the game. It's Beskir Shieldmate, the lowest impact card in my entire deck…and in a color I still can't generate despite having drawn 9 godforsaken lands. He starts drawing cards off his flyers while continuing to eat my board with Toski.

Turn 9 I draw a mountain. What. The. %$#%. Is. Going. On.

Turn 10 I draw a swamp, shake my opponent's hand, and leave the store.

Let's recap all the ways this is insane:

I drew 89% lands over 9 draws in a 40 card deck.

I drew 100% of my non-white lands before drawing any of my (6) white lands.

The one nonland I drew was the worst possible nonland in the entire deck.

The grand total effect in terms of actual board presence from my first 9 draws was the same as if I'd drawn a single Wastes.

The only possibly worse 9 cards I could have drawn would have been if I managed to draw every single uncastable card (which, with a starting hand with R B and R+B lands would have been exactly nine cards, combining the 4+ cost and white cards) since then I couldn't have cast Calamity Bearer, but insert even one land into there and it would have been great – and at a minimum, I would have had a chance to get a lucky topdeck to save me, whereas with the nine I drew I had basically no single draw that could bail me out. So I would argue the worst or second worst possible set of 9 cards in the entire deck. Think about how many possible permutations there are, choosing 9 out of 33 cards. There are thirty-eight million. I drew the worst or second worst set out of THIRTY-EIGHT %$#% MILLION POSSIBILITIES.

Anyway I guess my point is that anyone complaining about the "impossible" draw they got from the MTGA/MTGO auto-shuffler can eat my farts.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

ouch......
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Dunharrow

Sometimes it happens. Super frustrating, but what can you do. I find it more tilting in an early round because I start wondering if I have too many lands.
You didn't do anything wrong.
And it's like those games where you have 2 lands, a 2 drop, 4 3cmc cards in your opener and never see a 3rd land. You were right to keep, but sometimes the odds don't work out.
sucks to lose the finals like that

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

Yeah, I don't think I made any glaring mistakes or anything. At the end of the day, it's more of an amusing story than anything else. Play enough magic, you'll get 1-in-a-million bad luck at some point. I'd rather it was at a prerelease than a GP!

What was more frustrating was the Reddit reaction - pretty much 50/50 between:

"that's impossible, you must have shuffled wrong" (I know how to shuffle, and it's not as though I stacked all my red and black lands on top of each other at the end of the last game - I didn't have all of them in play, obviously, and also there were white sources which were next to them, so even if I didn't shuffle at all there wouldn't be all together)

and

"that's inevitable when you play 3 colors" (Besides not being able to play 1 crappy card in my hand, it didn't make any difference really that I was in 3c, but regardless in sealed there's no way I'm cutting Kaya, the Firja, angel sword etc just to mitigate a 1-in-a-million bad draw, that's a ridiculous approach to limited. Risks are inevitable.)
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
Yeah, I don't think I made any glaring mistakes or anything. At the end of the day, it's more of an amusing story than anything else. Play enough magic, you'll get 1-in-a-million bad luck at some point. I'd rather it was at a prerelease than a GP!

"that's impossible, you must have shuffled wrong" (I know how to shuffle, and it's not as though I stacked all my red and black lands on top of each other at the end of the last game - I didn't have all of them in play, obviously, and also there were white sources which were next to them, so even if I didn't shuffle at all there wouldn't be all together)

and

"that's inevitable when you play 3 colors" (Besides not being able to play 1 crappy card in my hand, it didn't make any difference really that I was in 3c, but regardless in sealed there's no way I'm cutting Kaya, the Firja, angel sword etc just to mitigate a 1-in-a-million bad draw, that's a ridiculous approach to limited. Risks are inevitable.)
Have you considered the possibility that playing 3 colors made you shuffle wrong?
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Have you considered the possibility that shuffling wrong made you play 3 colors?

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

Speaking of having bad luck drawing, I just played a draft where I had a great snow deck that could out value anyone in the long game. But it was just one of those cursed decks where it didn't want to have normal draws, and ended up going 3-3. For example, in my last game I had a great opening hand except for not having a green source. The hand had my other colors, three lands, somethings I could play early, and two Sarulf's Packmate I could foretell. Easy keep on the draw as I have nine sources that can produce green in my deck. I saw half of my deck that game, zero green sources. I lost, but I would keep that opening hand on the draw 10 out of 10 times. And in 97% of the games, I would've drawn a green source and just roll over my opponent.

The deck did produce a neat end game state. Especially when you considered that I am currently bunkered inside as a snowstorm continues to fall outside.
Snowstorm Boardstate
Show
Hide

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago

and

Have you considered that you just suck at magic and should sell your collection?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

pokken

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
Have you considered that you just suck at magic and should sell your collection?
this guy reddits :P

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

Hermes jokes, but I've started selling off my high end cards from my cube and older tion that rarely see play. From actually decks the only cards I pulled were duals, Wheel of Fortune, and Survival of the Fittest. All easy swaps to make, and paid off both credit cards and student loans. Next task is to go through the medium end cards. I've got a crapton of cards that I'm not actually using.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
Hermes jokes, but I've started selling off my high end cards from my cube and older tion that rarely see play. From actually decks the only cards I pulled were duals, Wheel of Fortune, and Survival of the Fittest. All easy swaps to make, and paid off both credit cards and student loans. Next task is to go through the medium end cards. I've got a crapton of cards that I'm not actually using.
I'm just staring at my Gaea's Cradle wondering if I really want it more than a PS5... The reserved list cards are going insane in price right now. I just keep thinking they won't go up in price and they just are. I bought Phyrexian Devourer and Didgeridoo as meme cards for <$3 a couple of years ago and now they're $25+

I'm sitting on a $2,000 cube that I haven't played in over a year. *sad trombone*

Do I really want those more than an entire board game? I mean magic is fun but it isn't that fun. How're you selling your cards? You just buylisting them?

pokken

I'm not paying off any student loans til I see if there's some covid amnesty. :).

It's so hard to tell where the music stops with card prices. My worry is that we'll end up with a hyperinflated dollar with how the money printer jus keeps going brrr, and so I'm kinda inclined to hold onto the inflation resistant assets.

Dunharrow

Drafting Kaldheim on Arena. Somehow draft 4 mythics - Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider, Valki, God of Lies // Tibalt, Cosmic Impostor, Alrund, God of the Cosmos // Hakka, Whispering Raven and Battle Mammoth. Also got The World Tree. I have a million removal spells, great fixing.

win my first two matches 2-0, easily.

Match 3 is RW aggro. They run me over game one.

I sideboard - cutting Valki (BR splash) to add white for a bunch of cheap creatures, life gain. still have great fixing, 3 mythics, tons of removal.
Run out of time sideboarding (I was cutting one last card to make it work). Get run over again.

Second time I run out of time doing a transformational sideboard. I wish they would give you more time.

pokken

Not sure if this is the right place but it's the discussion that started me thinking about it - with Feyd's awesome help (adding features to support my OCD) I've made some pretty major graphical and visual overhauls to my Ephara primer:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=298

The graphics are just basically powerpoint smart art and simple card collages but interested in what you guys think of various elements. There's a small inconsistency that bothers in the Card Options section where I went with header Boxes for the content instead of flowing free around floats. And of course I'm iffy on whether the box headers look ok with the gradient color instead of the main color.

Love to hear what you guys think or if there's anything that jumps out at you as particularly awkward or unpleasant to look at.

The banner and the smart art stuff are the main things I'm thinking about hiring someone to take and significantly upgrade, but I wanted to get a kind of placeholder that looks OK in there.

(I'm still kinda playing with a much more graphically heavy version that's basically a Powerpoint deck in webpage form, but there's just too much text right now to distill down).

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Not sure if this is the right place but it's the discussion that started me thinking about it - with Feyd's awesome help (adding features to support my OCD) I've made some pretty major graphical and visual overhauls to my Ephara primer:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=298

The graphics are just basically powerpoint smart art and simple card collages but interested in what you guys think of various elements. There's a small inconsistency that bothers in the Card Options section where I went with header Boxes for the content instead of flowing free around floats. And of course I'm iffy on whether the box headers look ok with the gradient color instead of the main color.

Love to hear what you guys think or if there's anything that jumps out at you as particularly awkward or unpleasant to look at.

The banner and the smart art stuff are the main things I'm thinking about hiring someone to take and significantly upgrade, but I wanted to get a kind of placeholder that looks OK in there.

(I'm still kinda playing with a much more graphically heavy version that's basically a Powerpoint deck in webpage form, but there's just too much text right now to distill down).
Mostly looks really nice. I like the top header art, it's quite striking, and suits the original Ephara art really well.

Personally, I'd suggest going for a slightly darker blue for the headers, it's a little washed out.

The infographics are a cool touch, I like them.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”