[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

@toctheyounger

I do think the show had a large part in killing the novels. His work, albeit with his initial consent, was basically hijacked for TV ratings and then summarily disposed when HBO had eaten its fill. I know I'd be salty and unmotivated if a corporation took my IP and dirtied me like season 8 dirtied the GoT fandom. Even I, the casual viewer, was pissed and I don't even have a horse in that race. Frankly, the world may just be better off with the wolves than whatever ending he actually intended anyway.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
@toctheyounger

I do think the show had a large part in killing the novels. His work, albeit with his initial consent, was basically hijacked for TV ratings and then summarily disposed when HBO had eaten its fill. I know I'd be salty and unmotivated if a corporation took my IP and dirtied me like season 8 dirtied the GoT fandom. Even I, the casual viewer, was pissed and I don't even have a horse in that race. Frankly, the world may just be better off with the wolves than whatever ending he actually intended anyway.
Its probably all a rich tapestry. The show probably had a part to play, but I do still remember reading AFFC and thinking 'damn, whos actually going to be there at the end of the series?'

But yeah that is the nature of television, and with this being the biggest breakthrough fantasy since LotR I bet the producers were frothing st the mouth for the series to push on regardless of the source material. And as with any show once it jumps the shark Hollywood is pretty discompassionate.

I actually never really got into the show. Its always irked me that the series has no closure so I didn't like the idea of them just forging ahead. It felt wrong. I also got stupidly protective of fantasy literature about that time too. You pretty much couldn't walk into a room without someone dropping GoT into conversation and I got really sick of people gushing over it like it was the pinnacle of its genre. Some of the books are good, but its not the pinnacle by any stretch, its just the most popular.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

The worst of it is that he spent years working on the show instead of the books. Like, if he had just let the people do the show without his involvement he would have finished the novels in time for the final seasons.

At this point nobody cares anymore. He will eventually pass on and someone will edit his unpublished writing posthumously and it will be bad and that will be it.

Some of this reminds me of Fullmetal Alchemist. The manga was super popular so they made an anime, and halfway through the story they ran out of manga to base the show on so they just started making stuff up. The ending makes absolutely no sense.
So years later when the manga was finished they redid the show as Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and it was great.
I look at this and part of me just wishes he could finish the books, we would see they were great, and someone would redo the TV show.

But that is a fantasy that will never happen. Even if he could finish the work, there is no evidence that it would end well.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

so, the next SL is a commander deck: https://secretlair.wizards.com/us/produ ... s-you-lose

WHAT IN THE HECK IS GOING ON, HERE? 
We're super stoked to introduce Secret Lair's very first Commander Deck. That's right, for a limited time you can grab a unique, 100-card deck filled with tons of foils, 10 pieces of killer new art (across five cards, we will explain), and a bunch of other goodies like a unique flippin' coin and life wheel. 

REVERSIBLE CARDS? WHAT IN TARNATION ARE THOSE? 
Reversible cards are a cool new piece of Magic tech we're excited to debut here. It's a relatively straightforward concept, but it results in some awesome looking cards. These are double-sided cards, but they have the same functional card on each side. However, each side has different art. You can swap which side you want to show off when casting the spell, or just stick with your favorite. You can even flip a coin to pick! It's just another way you can express yourself when playing the game. 

NEAT! WHAT'S THE DECK DO? 
This deck is from Gavin Verhey's secret vault, and it's a blast to play. Here's some words from the man himself: 

"I've loved Zndrsplt and Okaun ever since I made them in Battlebond—and this Commander deck out of my personal collection puts them center stage! It looks so lovable and innocent... and then by the time you've started attacking people for lethal, it's too late to stop your coin-flipping reign of terror. 

"You'll want to spend the early turns building up your mana rocks and equipment, and playing some silly coin flip cards. Then, start deploying your Commanders! Usually, I suggest starting with Zndrsplt so you can start flipping coins and drawing cards. Your opponents will think it's so cute and laugh. 'Look at the funny coin-flip deck! Haha.' 

"And that's when you know you've got them. Deploy Okaun—the way this deck normally kills. If you have some equipment, suit him up! You just need to win three coin flips to kill with Okaun using Commander damage—and maybe less with the right equipment. I've attacked for over 10,000 damage with a single Okaun before! They'll try to remove it, but that's what your counterspells are for. If there are creatures in the way, you can sneak it through with cards that grant unblockability. Or if you really want the table to flip out, use Chandra's Ignition so your 10,000 power (or similar) Okaun kills the table at once! 

"If you have any questions about how the deck plays, you can hit me up on Twitter @gavinverhey. Enjoy!" 
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Hermes_

Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago

At this point nobody cares anymore. He will eventually pass on and someone will edit his unpublished writing posthumously and it will be bad and that will be it.
Towards the end, it was said that Christopher Tolkien was publishing what he father had tossed into the trash can

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
so, the next SL is a commander deck: https://secretlair.wizards.com/us/produ ... s-you-lose
I actually want this. I've been thinking about making a secret-lair-cards-only-commander-deck and this looks like it might be a good - if not the perfect - base for it.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

You know when the designers are out of ideas when they're literally selling a WOTC employee's edh deck. Gavin is alright and all, but I'd rather have a copy of one of Sheldon's decks given his rank as forefather of the format.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

They want $100 for that thing. No thanks.

Also, I may pick up the one with the reskinned Rhystic Study. Ya know, for Rhystic Study.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

It's an interesting idea for a product, although I'm too lazy to do the math to see if it's worth the money. My group already has a Z&O deck that's well liked, so this is a bit redundant outside of the cool looking reversible commanders.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

I hope Sheldon never sells one of his decks as a lair.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
What kind of statement would that be? I shudder to think. Besides, all of his decklists are public, right? Perhaps I could get onboard with an SL of his favorite commanders, but an entire deck? With only five pieces of new art? For a c-note? Nah.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Hermes_

RxPhantom wrote:
2 years ago
BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
What kind of statement would that be? I shudder to think. Besides, all of his decklists are public, right? Perhaps I could get onboard with an SL of his favorite commanders, but an entire deck? With only five pieces of new art? For a c-note? Nah.
Could you imagine the "how to play" insert or write up for one of his decks and the reactions of everyone? :madhot: :madhot: :madhot: ("SEE! Sheldon has no idea how to play" etc ) lol

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

I think it's a neat idea. Value is definitely there - half the deck is foil. I just hate those commanders and the number of coinflips in that deck feel like an eternity to play.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Yeah in my experience as neat as those commanders are conceptually they are an absolute gravity well for time spent waiting for someone else to finish durdling. In theory they're fun, in practice my experience is that they're not very fun to play against.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Had both of my scooters stolen out of my garage yesterday.

So that %$#% sucks.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

Got tickets to see my favorite band. I haven't been to a show in over two years, and I am excite.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago

So that %$#% sucks.
That sucks mightily man. We've had a couple thefts over the years and it's always like...just enough to not be able to get insurance to cover it, and the experience is so frustrating and violating.

We literally had someone steal a single patio chair from a set of four off our porch last year.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago

So that %$#% sucks.
That sucks mightily man. We've had a couple thefts over the years and it's always like...just enough to not be able to get insurance to cover it, and the experience is so frustrating and violating.

We literally had someone steal a single patio chair from a set of four off our porch last year.
I assume insurance would have covered it (total value was around 3K) but we don't have any.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago

So that %$#% sucks.
You should lowjack the next pair. That'll show 'em.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago

So that %$#% sucks.
I'm sorry, Dirk. That really sucks. I hope you can get them back.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
Got tickets to see my favorite band. I haven't been to a show in over two years, and I am excite.
I thought Nickelback was on hiatus. This is how you remind me, I guess.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I'll show myself out.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
2 years ago
I thought Nickelback was on hiatus.
You wound me.
lol

Ok ok ok. Is it Placebo? They're awesome and just announced a UK/Europe tour. I also don't know where you're from. Alkaline Trio? Bright Eyes? Interpol? The Chats? Foo Fighters? Lamb of God? Slipknot? Tell me! I MUST KNOOOOOOOOWWW!

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
2 years ago
I thought Nickelback was on hiatus.
You wound me.
Dude, he killed you. Brutal.

Hermes_

TIL that it's possible to have a credit score of 0 lol

Your credit score: 0

Date: 11192021

Scores range from a low of 300 to a high of 850.

Key factors that adversely affected your credit score are:

Applicant has a limited credit file

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
2 years ago
Tell me! I MUST KNOOOOOOOOWWW!
Iron & Wine.

I feel like you have to be a sensitive, bookish, rural American Southerner to really appreciate him. That or a Twilight fan, I guess.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”