Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago
SocorroTortoise wrote:
3 years ago
It's been a headache trying to pick up a new graphics card. I'm interested in picking up an RTX 3080 and have been semi-regularly checking stores for at least a couple months now. I think there's been one time where they were even listed as in stock at a non-marked up price and they evaporated by the time I logged in to the site.
This is pretty much everybody's pain right now who is trying to build a PC. There are waitlists and raffles and whatnot, depending on the site and availability.
Availability is the primary issue that the other issues are derived from. It has to do with the global chip shortage, that is in turn caused by the chip producers not being able to get the resources they need due to the pandemic. As more and more people the world over get vaccinated, the shortage will eventually be mitigated.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago
This is pretty much everybody's pain right now who is trying to build a PC. There are waitlists and raffles and whatnot, depending on the site and availability.
Yep. I'm on the waitlists, but I'm not in need of an upgrade enough to put any more effort into it and the supply issues will eventually be resolved so there's no real hurry. It's a pretty frivolous upgrade (though my current card is better than my wife's, so not entirely) - I'm mostly interested in playing through Cyberpunk with everything maxed out.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Magic Legends seems cool. I have never played an MMORPG but I suspect that if I had a PC I would try this out.
Maybe if I get this new job I could convince the wife to splurge a little.
If you are looking for an MMORPG, you are going to be disappointed. It's a DOTA clone.
I mean I figured it was not 100% original, but it would make me more interested in an MMORPG than just knowing that DOTA exists. Familiarity does count for a lot and can be a good stepping point into a new genre.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 3 years ago

@Krishnath @SocorroTortoise (didn't feel the need to quote)

I haven't gotten on any lists myself yet and still need to eventually choose which card I would want, but I'm currently getting pieces together for a new gaming rig since the current one is quite dated. Although if I have to I'll use its GTX 1070 in the new rig for a while.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

Just played a couple of games with my friends from highschool. The highlights...

Baneslayer Angel to block Rith, the Awakener (with +4/+4) to stabilize and then crack back as it was his only flier for the win.

In a previous game, I ate a Lightning Bolt to lose.

Phyrexian Scriptures + Padeem, Consul of Innovation for great hexproof.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago

I haven't gotten on any lists myself yet and still need to eventually choose which card I would want, but I'm currently getting pieces together for a new gaming rig since the current one is quite dated. Although if I have to I'll use its GTX 1070 in the new rig for a while.
I'm looking at pcpartpicker,and holy %$#%...$3486.49 for Zotac GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Blower Video Card which came out in 2019...
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago

I'm looking at pcpartpicker,and holy %$#%...$3486.49 for Zotac GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Blower Video Card which came out in 2019...
As I mentioned elsewhere, scarcity is driving the prices to insane levels. Hopefully it will sort itself out as the necessary resources for chips start getting produced again. I was just lucky in that the demand for processors and motherboards aren't particularly high.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Hermes_

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago

As I mentioned elsewhere, scarcity is driving the prices to insane levels.
It's not JUST scarcity,

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/12/2222 ... rx-6800-xt

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/24/2229 ... ge-revenue

https://slate.com/technology/2021/01/vi ... hyyyy.html

https://www.popsci.com/story/technology ... ics-cards/

Like i've said, it may be different in your part of the world but folks here and elsewhere can afford to spend enough to buy out the stock of a website and then resell.

Basically, what i'm saying is that more than likely, if not for the miners (one miner told a reporter he had bought 6 RTX 3070s) the prices wouldn't be so outrageous even with supply issues.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago

As I mentioned elsewhere, scarcity is driving the prices to insane levels.
It's not JUST scarcity,

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/12/2222 ... rx-6800-xt

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/24/2229 ... ge-revenue

https://slate.com/technology/2021/01/vi ... hyyyy.html

https://www.popsci.com/story/technology ... ics-cards/

Like i've said, it may be different in your part of the world but folks here and elsewhere can afford to spend enough to buy out the stock of a website and then resell.

Basically, what i'm saying is that more than likely, if not for the miners (one miner told a reporter he had bought 6 RTX 3070s) the prices wouldn't be so outrageous even with supply issues.
That is partially the sellers fault though. I am glad we have the system over here that we do, as it prevents crap like this.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Magic Legends seems cool. I have never played an MMORPG but I suspect that if I had a PC I would try this out.
If you are looking for an MMORPG, you are going to be disappointed. It's a DOTA clone.
Seems to be more of a Diablo clone. ARPG style.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Seems to be more of a Diablo clone. ARPG style.

Same stupidity, when it was originally revealed they said it was going to be an MMORPG, then when they made the first reveal trailer it was most definitely not that, and people complained, so they quickly changed the text of the original article. Then the Pandemic happened, and now the reveal it again. Still not the MMORPG we were originally promised.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

I played during the alpha for it.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Venedrex wrote:
3 years ago
I played during the alpha for it.
Did you enjoy the experience? I do know that alpha testing can be a bit of a hassle at times.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

It was good, I may have been a bad tester because I didn't really give any feedback on the game, but I didn't feel my opinion would have been that beneficial. It was fun knowing that I got to play before almost everyone else, and it caught me by surprise because I had forgotten signing up for it. I enjoyed the fact that I got to run around on Shiv and blast Goblins with my mind mage powers.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Venedrex wrote:
3 years ago
It was good, I may have been a bad tester because I didn't really give any feedback on the game, but I didn't feel my opinion would have been that beneficial. It was fun knowing that I got to play before almost everyone else, and it caught me by surprise because I had forgotten signing up for it. I enjoyed the fact that I got to run around on Shiv and blast Goblins with my mind mage powers.
Well, part of being an Alpha tester is to report game crashing bugs, and if you didn't find any, then there is no reason for you to really do anything other than enjoying the game. It's up to the beta testers to find the smaller bugs. :)

NGW
Legacy/Commander

Post by NGW » 3 years ago

So I sold a ton of singles (pretty much most of my non-bulk from my binder), got about $150 in store credit and ended up cracking 20 packs of TSR because I am an addict.

Actually did pretty well for myself though.

Old borders:
Containment Priest
Path to Exile
Repeal
Trinket Mage
True-Name Nemesis
Gurmag Angler (foil)
Read the Bones
Sanguine Bond
Tasigur, the Golden Fang
Yawgmoth, Thran Physician
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Monastery Swiftswpear
Past in Flames
Vandalblast
Courser of Kruphix
Nature's Claim
Cloudshredder Sliver
Epic Experiment
Grenzo, Dungeon Warden
Chalice of the Void
Leveler

Rares/Mythics:
Angel's Grace
Angel of Salvation (foil)
Benalish Commander
Pulmonic Sliver
Aeon Chronicler
Draining Welk
Vesuvan Shapeshifter
Akroma, Angel of Fury
Boom//Bust
Greater Gargadon
Dryad Arbor
Hypergenesis
Thedon of Havenwood
Summoner's Pact
Dralnu, Lich Lord
Glittering Wish
Saffi Eriksdotter
Coalition Relic
Stuffy Doll
Tolaria West
Vesuva

Good few of those already have homes in decks, so they're nice upgrades. The Angler is a great foil pull given it's place in one of the best decks in legacy at the moment, we'll see where prices ultimately stabilize at but it's going from anywhere between 50 and 90 from what I've seen.

Hermes_

No one will think i'm out to murder the emperor with this hat. Image

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

@Hermes_: Why do you think my avatar wears a hat?

Hermes_

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
@Hermes_: Why do you think my avatar wears a hat?
and not just one!

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 3 years ago

You're just gathering ingredients for Le Potage de Magnifique! :laugh:
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Hermes_

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
3 years ago
You're just gathering ingredients for Le Potage de Magnifique! :laugh:
DO NOT QUESTION THE GOURMET! :laugh:

Hermes_

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago

As I mentioned elsewhere, scarcity is driving the prices to insane levels. Hopefully it will sort itself out as the necessary resources for chips start getting produced again. I was just lucky in that the demand for processors and motherboards aren't particularly high.
Talking about the chip shortage - do you know that a lot of equipment used in medicine and biological research need chips?
Lead time on common equipment like CO2 incubators has skyrocketed because of the chip shortage.
Maybe it will improve this summer as people will be outside more and hopefully buying fewer computers, TVs, PS5s, etc...
Because if demand continues to be this high it will be another year or more before manufacturing can catch up.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Talking about the chip shortage - do you know that a lot of equipment used in medicine and biological research need chips?
Lead time on common equipment like CO2 incubators has skyrocketed because of the chip shortage.
Maybe it will improve this summer as people will be outside more and hopefully buying fewer computers, TVs, PS5s, etc...
Because if demand continues to be this high it will be another year or more before manufacturing can catch up.
The prices will unfortunately not decrease until the chip production increases, and that won't happen until the mining and transport of "rare earths" normalize, which won't happen until the pandemic gets under control. And the issue with that is that there are forces at work that are actively sabotaging the efforts to get it under control because they believe they will gain from it continuing.

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

My wife and I just finished paying off a debt and had some funds leftover, so we ordered a much needed new mattress and set of sheets.

...I haven't been so excited for something in quite some time.

Adulthood. Geesh.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”