[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
Making final edits to my first round submission for the NYC Midnight short story contest! Hoping to make it to round two this year!
Awesome! Hope it goes well!
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Janky_as_heck
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Janky_as_heck » 2 years ago

Quick heads up everyone, @materpillar was kind enough to guest on the episode of wnxs news dropping tomorrow, so be sure to give it a listen when it's up!

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

Wordle 226 4/6

⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

@Hermes_ wtf, man?
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Hermes_

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
@Hermes_ wtf, man?
https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/ do you even play? lol

Hermes_

so a couple of guys in my play group put together a video thing about commander

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

So to give an update to those that remember my little saga about my internet provider (and that letter they sent last April's Fools Day), they were bought a little while ago by RCN. Yesterday I got an email from them telling all of their new Chicagoland customers that they were scrapping the data caps. So alls well that ends well I guess.

Swerving to a different topic, does anyone here play Team Fight Tactics? I am really excited to see Silco come to the game in the midset update. They are even getting Jason Spisak to voice him again (though the voice over won't be implemented until patch 12.7). Really excited to try out Hextech (especially Lucian carry) and Debonair (especially since Academy was always a bit disappointing of a trait). Though I am disappointed about losing Urgot, Samira and Yone as those were probably my most common units to build around.

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 2 years ago

So, how is everyone? Did you start playing in person with friends again? My regular playgroup has regrouped (pun intended) and the flame has been rekindled.
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 2 years ago

vandertroll wrote:
2 years ago
So, how is everyone? Did you start playing in person with friends again? My regular playgroup has regrouped (pun intended) and the flame has been rekindled.
Probably would have if I had a regular group, but sometimes non-covid things get in the way, too.

I do look forward to some in-person play again, but I've quite enjoyed some of the regular groups I've played over webcam with. I'll definitely keep up with that since it makes certain things more convenient for me, which enables me to play more often that I might otherwise.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

shower thought - for decades, everyone has thought legends was stupid for making multicolor legends like Sivitri Scarzam cost MORE than they would normally cost in monocolor...but I think at this point everyone realizes that being multicolor on a commander is almost strict upside. Maybe legends was actually just prophetic?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

AjaniVengeant
Filthy Casual

Post by AjaniVengeant » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
shower thought - for decades, everyone has thought legends was stupid for making multicolor legends like Sivitri Scarzam cost MORE than they would normally cost in monocolor...but I think at this point everyone realizes that being multicolor on a commander is almost strict upside. Maybe legends was actually just prophetic?
I agree with this, I feel like the power creep on creatures has gone insane lately. It's crazy, because older sets creatures used to be so bad, but now they can do so much for so little. I also think this has to do with a shift in design philosophy in favor of commander.

AjaniVengeant
Filthy Casual

Also, I have to ask to those of you still active here; How active is MTGNexus? whenever I search MTG related questions I always get directed to MTGSalvation, but I've heard they're in some weird state where they should've been shut down, but they're somehow still operating? I'm completely new here so I'm kinda out of the loop haha.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

AjaniVengeant wrote:
2 years ago
Also, I have to ask to those of you still active here; How active is MTGNexus? whenever I search MTG related questions I always get directed to MTGSalvation, but I've heard they're in some weird state where they should've been shut down, but they're somehow still operating? I'm completely new here so I'm kinda out of the loop haha.
Were fairly active for one the last bastions of message boards. You won't find it as active as something like a discord server but the discussion and banter here is often more directed and generally a lot more useful than what you would find on a server. Definitely the commander and decklist forums here are pretty active.

I'm not sure what exactly happened with salvation, but there are some members here that are still active there. For myself I haven't checked in there in quite some time.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

DirkGently

toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
I'm not sure what exactly happened with salvation, but there are some members here that are still active there. For myself I haven't checked in there in quite some time.
I check in occasionally but the commander discussion is pretty dead. There was an excellent nonsense conspiracy post recently though which I'd highly recommend for anyone in need of a laugh.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

AjaniVengeant
Filthy Casual

toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Were fairly active for one the last bastions of message boards. You won't find it as active as something like a discord server but the discussion and banter here is often more directed and generally a lot more useful than what you would find on a server. Definitely the commander and decklist forums here are pretty active.

Well I'm glad to see something is still up and running, I've always loved the atmosphere of message boards. I'll do my best to participate and keep this place going! It's a shame Salvation died, it was always a helpful resource to me.

For me discord servers are often too active, I can never handle the intensity of the public ones, but I love smaller private ones with friends.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

AjaniVengeant wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago

Well I'm glad to see something is still up and running, I've always loved the atmosphere of message boards. I'll do my best to participate and keep this place going! It's a shame Salvation died, it was always a helpful resource to me.

For me discord servers are often too active, I can never handle the intensity of the public ones, but I love smaller private ones with friends.
Totally get it. I'm in the nitpicking nerds server and there's nice folk there but it's also a bit overwhelming with how many people there are and how hard it can be to have an actual cogent discussion with any focus. With that many folk piping in it can be a bit much. I don't dislike it but I definitely come here by preference for deck tech and strategy advice by preference. The discussion just has a bit more focus even if making a deck thread is a bit more laborious.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

DirkGently

Trying to explain Groundhog Day to a New Zealander is incredibly difficult.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Trying to understand Groundhog Day as an American is incredibly difficult.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 2 years ago

materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Trying to understand Groundhog Day as an American is incredibly difficult.
Well you see, Bill Murray gets caught in a time loop and...
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

AjaniVengeant wrote:
2 years ago
As a former MTGS member, I can speak to this. So here's the gist: a few years back, the owners of MTGS sold the site to Curse, who did nothing with it for a few years. 2 years ago, Curse announced it was shutting down MTGS. Cryogen, Feyd Ruin, and others built this site to avoid the dissolution of the community when MTGS went belly up. However, there was an 11th hour bid and curse sold the site to someone else, and they have continued the trend of letting the site sit without improvement or renovation. Rather than stay on a sinking ship with hot potato ownership, most of the mtgs commander forum migrated here where the site's custody is obvious and trusted.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
I check in occasionally but the commander discussion is pretty dead. There was an excellent nonsense conspiracy post recently though which I'd highly recommend for anyone in need of a laugh.
Oh wow, Card Slinger J must be losing it over there with only a sea of randos with which to talk. We should maybe invite him over, it might be good for the poor guy.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Isn't Card Slinger J here already? He just doesn't post much.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

If he is, I'm a little upset that he'd rather concoct conspiracies over on the fly-infested corpse of Sally than with all of us over here.

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 2 years ago

Personally I have been trying to pull back from Salavation, its really telling that almost every set they need to shut down a thread or two due to users being vitriolic. Most of the time its bigots raging out over characters who are not white/str8/cis/male, or even think they might be since they had a freak out over Oko and his backstory that could have a queer reading and having twink abs. I remember during Kaldheim a bunch of people where flipping out since they believed there wasn't snow in Kaldheim after seeing the two commander decks legends got leaked and the Pathway lands weren't snow lands. Thought it was better then the people who tried to deny that white suprismists have appropriate Norse mythology or the users during Ixlana who said the conquistadors did nothing wrong. Did crack me up seeing a user there say tho he refused to sign up here since they asked about pronouns XD.

It be nice if the mods cracked down on this but since the split they rarely if ever ban or suspend people, instead most people just get a warning for saying the same bigoted stuff they say every time. I do know they are unstaffed (and some of you y'all are mods here) and such but as a someone who doesn't identify as white or str8 I can't in good faith call salvation a safe place for minorities. Dunharrow and I talked a lil on my thoughts on Ixalan here and I would never be able to have a mature talk like that on Sally.
BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
Isn't Card Slinger J here already? He just doesn't post much.
He got banned from here, he brings up on sally saying he was canceled for speaking the truth. Really highlights these two sites handle stuff since he would copy and paste the same stuff between the two sites.
Last edited by 5colorsrainbow 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 2 years ago

vandertroll wrote:
2 years ago
I usually play at my LGS, and they are still not organising commander events sadly enough :pensive: . Before corona we often played a few times a week in that store. We do connect with each other on discord though. Some of us now play online using spelltable, and I sometimes play with randoms on cockatrice, but that is very hit or miss.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”