Urza, Lord High Artificer - help w/ theme/build-arounds

DrFunkenstein
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DrFunkenstein » 4 years ago

I have already built an Urza, Lord high Artificer Commander deck, but it is all over the place. It has no direction. I went to EDH Rec, but all they show are the top cards and the decks posted w/ him. The posted decks feel very generic, no rhyme or reason explained to them.

I am not looking for power cards, or a lock-down. Not looking for the easiest way to sneak in a Blightsteel Colossus .

In the past, I have built 60 card decks around themes, concepts, flavor and/or synergies that are unique (in the casual thread, I gave an idea for Egg Tribal, as an example). I am looking for something fun, interesting, playful, but still can win [most of the time - it is important to lose in a game of Magic... if your deck is unbeatable, the play group will roll their eyes and scoop, or all together avoid you or ask you not to play said deck]...

So I am looking for themes. Think unusual or different. Such as artifact recursion, equipment, ETB triggers, servo's (so far I have a servo-based white 60 card deck, but nothing in Commander or blue), vehicles, turning non-creatures into creatures (indestructible/hexproof/shroud/etc...), or anything that's different.

I don't want to rehash other artifact-based Commander decks I own (have a Karn, Silver Golem Commander w/ very strong artifacts/colorless cards that has a lot of Myr).

My big request here is please, no 1-trick ponies. I don't want a deck w/ a linchpin that can crumble the deck if a card is countered/exiled, etc... Also, for suggestions, please no cards over $30 (I use Puca Trade, so above $30 will be hard for be to attain).

I am open to ideas. Build-arounds.

Thank you ahead of time.

Tags:

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

A fun theme could be Weatherlight themed cards. Urza was the primary opponent of Yawgmoth and there are plenty of Blue cards and Artifacts from the Urza's Sage and Invasion blocks that you could make a thematic yet decently powerful Urza deck.

Or you can perhaps do Clone city so that you have a giant horde of Urza construct tokens, evoking the imagery of Urza's art?

DrFunkenstein

Post by DrFunkenstein » 4 years ago

benjameenbear wrote:
4 years ago
A fun theme could be Weatherlight themed cards. Urza was the primary opponent of Yawgmoth and there are plenty of Blue cards and Artifacts from the Urza's Sage and Invasion blocks that you could make a thematic yet decently powerful Urza deck.

Or you can perhaps do Clone city so that you have a giant horde of Urza construct tokens, evoking the imagery of Urza's art?
OK, like where you are going w/ the second option. I have a few Clone variations. Now the tokens he make do not have an evasion. I can go either equipment to protect and get through, or I can find enchantments like Levitation or artifacts that can affect all creatures in play. What do you think is the better option?

Your first idea was heavy on flavor, but pure flavor is not what I'm going for (I once made a deck based around the animals of the Lion King... it was silly, but had no focus and easily got a whoopin'!).

Any suggestions for the evasion/protection conundrum for the "Clone army" ok, ok, ok... it's starting to have a Star Wars vibe, lol... but it will have form AND function (ummmm, my imagination is getting away w/ me, but maybe have some utility artifact creatures, like Junk Diver and mana dorks that can also "pilot" Vehicle cards (now I have droid pilots for my "ships" against the Evil Empire, lol)...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”