Field of the Dead

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

I was just curious to hear about other people's experience with this card so far. It seems like I generally want to be in at least 2 colors to make use of it with a low basic count potentially split between normal and snow lands. I am curious to hear about others experience with the card so far. So far it has worked out well for me in a Trostani, Selesnya's Voice deck and I am currently building a Golos, Tireless Pilgrim seeing how far I can push the card.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

It's pretty good in my 98 land deck, it's one of my main wincons. I hadn't thought to split the lands between snow/nonsnow...granted I've only got like 3 islands and 3 forests as my only duplicates anyway.

Getting value from lands late-game can definitely be pretty good. Obviously a bit slow for a fast environment though.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

75chan
Shoegaze ♥
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by 75chan » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
It's pretty good in my 98 land deck, it's one of my main wincons. I hadn't thought to split the lands between snow/nonsnow...granted I've only got like 3 islands and 3 forests as my only duplicates anyway.

Getting value from lands late-game can definitely be pretty good. Obviously a bit slow for a fast environment though.
Similarly it's been working very well in the little testing I've gotten with my 72 lands deck. I also need to make the swap for snow-covered basics though, didn't think of that either.
I swap decks a lot
wr Avacyn with defensive blinking
ur OG Jhoira spellslinger without MLD or eldrazi
and some other stuff that are more or less messy

Best card

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I was playing against a Lord Windgrace helmed deck and I had calculated to make my moves with a lethal Greven, Predator Captain attack as they only had one blocker (menace thwarts that), but they responded to my attack by sacrificing a fetch-land and had Field of the Dead in play and created a token to be able to block and save themselves. I honestly just missed the whole interaction, essentially losing me the game long term as I had to spend subsequent turns trying to kill the same player, allowing the other players to get ahead.

It's very easy to turn on, I'd say almost any 3 color deck running a decent non-basic mana base can get it to trigger eventually.
I think my above example, where you can use it for desperate blocking, rather than trying to create an army of Zombies with it, is probably the more likely scenario with it.
But of course you'll get builds that use big ramp spells that can get lots of landfall triggers that can get multiple creatures into play.

However it's just one more colorless utility to add to the already impossible to choose from selection in Magic, and if it's a 3 color deck, then it has to be P.R.E.M.I.U.M, like the absolute gold standard in value for your deck. You can't just jam colorless lands and expect to not have them play a role in losing you some games due to color fixing gone wrong.
Still the number one mistake commander players make is running too many colorless lands, see it game after game.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
However it's just one more colorless utility to add to the already impossible to choose from selection in Magic, and if it's a 3 color deck, then it has to be P.R.E.M.I.U.M, like the absolute gold standard in value for your deck. You can't just jam colorless lands and expect to not have them play a role in losing you some games due to color fixing gone wrong.
Still the number one mistake commander players make is running too many colorless lands, see it game after game.
Generally agree with this, which is part of why I've not run it anywhere yet. The one deck I have that could make use is Nissa, and it probably would trigger pretty nicely; I also run Scapeshift, so it'd be easy to blow out with it, I've just been waiting to hear some feedback regarding it's efficacy.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 4 years ago

It's also a good character for a Zombie tribal deck.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

I have it in a Karador list right now, though I still haven't seen it. I also split my basics to include some snow. Between that and typical 3C fixing, I don't think I've had a game yet where it wouldn't have been on fairly early on and that's a lot of free value.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 4 years ago

Using snow lands with this card.... that is indeed clever and something worth pulling off.

toctheyounger

plushpenguin wrote:
4 years ago
Using snow lands with this card.... that is indeed clever and something worth pulling off.
I guess you could add the Tree of Tales cycle to this too, although they aren't tutorable with standard ramp, so a slight trade off.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 4 years ago

Easy shoe in Varina deck, thats for sure XD. The card is impressive and wasn't expecting to be more than decent.

toctheyounger

RedCheese wrote:
4 years ago
Easy shoe in Varina deck, thats for sure XD. The card is impressive and wasn't expecting to be more than decent.
I actually disagree. That deck is super lean for colour fixing and in the colours struggles for ramp too. It does benefit from a variety of lands like shocks et al, they don't come in any quicker than once a turn, which makes this a pretty slow token generator. To my mind this is going to shine best in a GX/ GXX deck where you can make the ramp really hum.

wildfire393
Answers: 1

Post by wildfire393 » 4 years ago

This card is *insane*. Stone nuts. It doesn't make the cut in a mono-colored list, but in any multicolored list (especially those with green) it's ludicrously easy to turn on and just does stupid things. It's particularly good with Gaea's Cradle as it vomits out bodies to power the Cradle to new heights. It's also particularly strong with The Great Aurora.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

I'm planning on putting it in Yarok, the Desecrated when I start building it.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

There are three decks I'm contemplating putting it in. Samut and Tasigur are both technically three colors, but both skew very heavily towards green and have a lot of land-based ramp spells, including ways to fetch it out. The tokens aren't particularly valuable to either deck, but the cost of running a colorless utility land is relatively low, and they're both good at triggering landfall.

The other deck I want to test it in is Teysa, which has a shakier (read: nongreen) manabase, and can't really afford another colorless utility land. I'd probably need to run it over a spell there. I also have some concerns about consistently hitting seven lands, since that deck doesn't do nearly as much ramping as the green decks do. Still, the zombie tokens are significantly more valuable there - they make excellent sacrifice fodder. Could make for a more consistent long-term plan than Emeria, the Sky Ruin.

All of this is still hypothetical though - haven't actually added it to any decks yet, so don't know exactly how it will function in practice.

RedCheese

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
RedCheese wrote:
4 years ago
I actually disagree. That deck is super lean for colour fixing and in the colours struggles for ramp too. It does benefit from a variety of lands like shocks et al, they don't come in any quicker than once a turn, which makes this a pretty slow token generator. To my mind this is going to shine best in a GX/ GXX deck where you can make the ramp really hum.
It worked in my version of the deck. My deck doesn't have as mutch utility lands so never had issue with it. Also i have alot of mana rocks to help in mana fixing. yeah it wasn't explosive as it would be in green decks, but the deck is slow naturally and grinds, so having a utility land that helps with the game plan was great in my case.

toctheyounger

RedCheese wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
RedCheese wrote:
4 years ago
It worked in my version of the deck. My deck doesn't have as mutch utility lands so never had issue with it. Also i have alot of mana rocks to help in mana fixing. yeah it wasn't explosive as it would be in green decks, but the deck is slow naturally and grinds, so having a utility land that helps with the game plan was great in my case.
I mean yeah, it's not going to produce no zombies. My issue with it for that build is entering tapped and producing instead of colours. Add to that the grindy nature of the deck and I'd rather just play stronger lands. As it is I'm way more interested in Nykthos. That being said, if you have the coin for fetches, duals, shocks, LD lands, all the bells and whistles, it could be awesome. I'm just....not in that boat myself.

RedCheese

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
RedCheese wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago

I mean yeah, it's not going to produce no zombies. My issue with it for that build is entering tapped and producing instead of colours. Add to that the grindy nature of the deck and I'd rather just play stronger lands. As it is I'm way more interested in Nykthos. That being said, if you have the coin for fetches, duals, shocks, LD lands, all the bells and whistles, it could be awesome. I'm just....not in that boat myself.
I don't have coin for that lol. Using proxies for the more expensive stuff atm. I might wrong for the pwoer of card, but, its a card that makes zombies and im sucker for the theme so i put it in for the theme of it more then power. Didn't have any problems so afr to the point of taking it out.

xeroxedfool

Post by xeroxedfool » 4 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
I was playing against a Lord Windgrace helmed deck and I had calculated to make my moves with a lethal Greven, Predator Captain attack as they only had one blocker (menace thwarts that), but they responded to my attack by sacrificing a fetch-land and had Field of the Dead in play and created a token to be able to block and save themselves. I honestly just missed the whole interaction, essentially losing me the game long term as I had to spend subsequent turns trying to kill the same player, allowing the other players to get ahead.

It's very easy to turn on, I'd say almost any 3 color deck running a decent non-basic mana base can get it to trigger eventually.
I think my above example, where you can use it for desperate blocking, rather than trying to create an army of Zombies with it, is probably the more likely scenario with it.
But of course you'll get builds that use big ramp spells that can get lots of landfall triggers that can get multiple creatures into play.

Totally agree with this. I should probably test it in my own Lord Windgrace deck as it seems like a good card there.
They're both Griffith, get it?

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

I am looking to use Thespian's Stage / Vesuva and pair it will a full 10 fetchland / crucible of worlds package in the Golos deck I am making. It will be interesting to see if I can ever make a fetchland make me 6 zombies lol.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

TheMagicWord

Post by TheMagicWord » 4 years ago

Is it wrong to wish it was a desert so it has interaction with the desert related cards from Amonkhet? I know its a "field" and not a desert but it reminds me so much of those deserts.
Check out EDH Magic Online Magic Videos
Check out my The MTG Word instagram for pictures of crazy edh boardstates

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

No, I also wish it was a Desert.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 years ago

Thinking out loud, I wonder if this card is worth the squeeze in my mono green Titania, Protector of Argoth. It uses Scapeshift, World Shaper, and Splendid Reclamation after mass land sacrifice for big token production. It may be win-more if I am already making that many 5/3 elementals, but the opportunity cost is low. Without any of the above cards mass land resurrection cards, its unlikely I will hit 7 unique lands in mono-green.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
I am looking to use Thespian's Stage / Vesuva and pair it will a full 10 fetchland / crucible of worlds package in the Golos deck I am making. It will be interesting to see if I can ever make a fetchland make me 6 zombies lol.
Add Mirage Mirror for good measure.

toctheyounger

PrimevalCommander wrote:
4 years ago
Thinking out loud, I wonder if this card is worth the squeeze in my mono green Titania, Protector of Argoth. It uses Scapeshift, World Shaper, and Splendid Reclamation after mass land sacrifice for big token production. It may be win-more if I am already making that many 5/3 elementals, but the opportunity cost is low. Without any of the above cards mass land resurrection cards, its unlikely I will hit 7 unique lands in mono-green.
If I were going to use it anywhere it'd be in my Nissa build. It ramps well enough with enough variation of lands that the 7 land clause would be fine. I think it might be worth a try just for redundancy in making an army if I can't find Titania or Rampaging Baloths.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
plushpenguin wrote:
4 years ago
I guess you could add the Tree of Tales cycle to this too, although they aren't tutorable with standard ramp, so a slight trade off.
No, but Nature's Lore, Skyshroud Claim, and Wood Elves (and friends) can grab Bayou, Taiga, Topical Island, Savannah, Breeding Pool, Stomping Ground, Overgrown Tomb, Temple Garden, Dryad Arbor, Murmuring Bosk. Sapseep Forest, Cinder Glade, Canopy Vista, Scattered Groves, and Sheletered Thicket, and other cards (mostly those with _subtype_cycling but most notably Farseek) can search for any basic land type, although most just put it in your hand. You are playing Exploration and friends, right?

This could actually be fun with Perilous Forays as well.

Hour of Promise is still useful as well. As are Reap and Sow and Ulvenwald Hydra. Knight of the Reliquary maybe? (Oh, and that new Elvish Reclaimer from M20.) You can also put cards in your hand with Sylvan Scrying and Expedition Map.

Just a few options for you.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”