Commander Forum Rules, Announcements, and Helpdesk

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

Cow31337Killer wrote:
4 years ago
Does anyone know if there's a way to make a card link show a specific printing of a card? Like say for instance I wanted to hover over Beastmaster Ascension and have it show the Zendikar printing? Thanks for your time!
[card](CARDNAME) | (SETNAME)[/card], so [card]Beastmaster Ascension|Zendikar[/card] becomes Beastmaster Ascension|Zendikar.

There's a guide to all the coding options here.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Cow31337Killer
Answers: 1
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cow31337Killer » 4 years ago

What and absolute legend. Thank you!

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

Cow31337Killer wrote:
4 years ago
Does anyone know if there's a way to make a card link show a specific printing of a card? Like say for instance I wanted to hover over Beastmaster Ascension and have it show the Zendikar printing? Thanks for your time!
Just add |Zen after the card:
[card]Beastmaster Ascension|Zen[/card]
Beastmaster Ascension|Zen

You can use the set abbreviation code, set name, or even printing I'd.

You can read up on all our tags and the card tag here:

viewtopic.php?t=155#p_card
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

Cow31337Killer wrote:
4 years ago
I replied to you via PM as well, but also for anyone else who may have a similar question, Feyd has set up a pretty comprehensive guide to the BBC code we currently have available, and how to manipulate certain tags such as the Card Tag, boxes, headers, and more which can be found here.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

It's also handily linked from the right hand side of the full editor. It's very comprehensively documented, yet easy to use - yours truly, a known bbcode fiddling loather, has spent a nontrivial amount of effort faffing around with various shadows, centring, colours, what have you.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

If you haven't seen it yet, please look at this thread for information on the updated features with the [deck] tag.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Reaper_RM

Post by Reaper_RM » 3 years ago

Is there a thread on how to make a deck list and where to post it? Also, a how to on editing signatures to show your decks?

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

Reaper_RM wrote:
3 years ago
Is there a thread on how to make a deck list and where to post it? Also, a how to on editing signatures to show your decks?
For general formatting, the BBCode Guide is a great place to start. It covers all of our tags, how to use them, etc. (Whenever you go to the full page editor, there's a link on the right "Learn How To Use Our BBCodes" that takes you there for easy reference)

To edit your signature, go to the Signature Page in the user control panel under profile. You can easily add links in your signature to your deck threads. (Look at the [URL] tag in the BBCode Guide).

For [DECK] tags, the format is fairly straight forward:
[deck=DeckName]
Section Title
4 Card Name
4 Card Name

Section Title
10 Card Name
4 Card Name
[/deck]

Example:
[deck=Casual Burn]
Burn Spells
4 Fireball
4 Kaervek's Torch
4 Banefire

Lands
48 Mountain
[/deck]

Which produces:
Casual Burn

Burn Spells

Lands

Approximate Total Cost:

The deck has some advanced parameters for styling, but all the bells and whistles are already there without any advanced usage.

:)
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

Reaper_RM wrote:
3 years ago
Also, for decks you can look at a number of Primers as they tend to have a lot more "flair" to them. Then, you can click on Quote to see the BBCode behind the scenes. I have a couple primers in my signature, and there a number of other good threads with decklists as well.

As to the Signature, it really depends on what you want to do. Everyone has their own idea from minimalist (which is where I lean) to more aesthetically pleasing signatures. It might be easiest to just see a signature and then either ask that person or create a thread to specifically ask how to do that.

Either way, as Feyd_Ruin said, there are guides but sometimes it is easier to ask someone or look at their BBCode to see exactly how it is done.

Also, there is a Testing forum here to do whatever testing you might want to do with either the deck lists or signatures.

Reaper_RM

Post by Reaper_RM » 3 years ago

Thank you very much! The info is much appreciated! I'll play with it and see what happens.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

Thanks WizardMN :)
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Antis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Antis » 3 years ago

Hi, new user here. I clicked the "Save Draft" button when posting my partially finished decklist before leaving home. Now I want to finish it on my phone, but can't seem to find a way to get to the draft. Where do I find it?

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

Antis wrote:
3 years ago
Hi, new user here. I clicked the "Save Draft" button when posting my partially finished decklist before leaving home. Now I want to finish it on my phone, but can't seem to find a way to get to the draft. Where do I find it?
In the thread or new topic, make sure you're on the full reply mode, not the small reply at the bottom and there should be a restore draft button on the left.

If not, you can Go To Your Control Panel - Manage Drafts and continue it from there.

:)

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 10 months ago

We will be updating the site's styling, and with it finally bring in "dark mode" for those who prefer dark backgrounds. Unfortunately this creates a small issue: Some of the primers and in-depth decklists have been made with light background & dark text specifically in mind. This may cause a little bit of work to update with dark mode in mind.

There are two main things to look far:
  • [color] tags that use dark colors.
    Darkmode uses a near-black background, so [color=black], for instance, will be unreadable.
  • [box] and [cardbox] tags with forced-color backgrounds. If you used a light background, you'll need to update to change the font color. You can do that quickly by either adding a [color] tag, or adding a fontcolor= parameter to the [box] (I've added this parameter just for this).
As an example:

The below [box] was given a light colored background. With darkmode defaulting text to white, the text is unreadable, as seen on the left. But if we add a simple fontcolor=black, it fixes itself (as seen on the right):
image.png
The BBCode is straightforward: [box bg="seashell" fontcolor="black"]

With the new styling, links within such boxes will also be forced to whatever color you specify so that they also mesh in.

I apologize for the extra edits it'll make for some, but I'm also sure some of you will want to use darkmode too, so there's a small trade off.
Feel free to holler at me if you need any help or anything. <3

I don't have an exact ETA of when I'll be done and the new looks will be pushed out, but roughly "soon-ish"
I'm going abuse my power for a second and @ all of the primer owners so they see this.

@Airi @benjameenbear @cryogen @darrenhabib @Kelzam @LordRewind @Rumpy5897 @toctheyounger @wildfire393 @xeroxedfool @Approved members @3drinks @Avacyn Believer @cheonice @Crazy Monkey @DementedKirby @DirkGently @Diz @Dragonlover @Dunadain @Guerte @Jay13x @kenbaumann @KitsuLeif @Kyra Warsong @LaHistorica @materpillar @MeowZeDung @Mookie @Outcryqq @plushpenguin @pokken @Rasputin101 @Rorseph @RowanKeltizar @snowfox54119

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 3 weeks ago

I don't know where else to put this:
Our Commander Decklist Database is quite outdated and I miss searching for specific Commanders. MTGNexus has an abundance of great threads and ideas, that deserve to be highlighted. As do the "I'll just put my decklist here, feel free to comment"-threads.

Expecting everyone to post their decklist doesn't seem to work, so this might be a way to do it. So I'm building an excel sheet with all the decklists. Maybe there is an easier way, but I don't know enough about coding to find an easier way.

Nontheless I would like to offer my help to update the database and keep it updated.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 weeks ago

Don't think people post lists to forums these days as much as keep easier edited databases on moxfield or (yuck) tappedout.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 2 weeks ago

Yeah I switched to Moxfield a while ago, on the basis that if nobody else was going to comment on them anyway I'd make my life easier when it came to updates.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

pokken

Post by pokken » 2 weeks ago

At one point we had a sweet feature that would show deckbox lists from a link. I think it would be worth doing a deep dive on a feature to set the URL of a list in the decklist tag and have it keep up to date. I have just about given up on making manual updates in decklists, it's very tedious.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 2 weeks ago

Maybe I phrased this wrong, English is not my first language.
Collecting outdated decklists has no value, but having an easier access to all the threads in this forum via the Commander Decklist Database would be great. Unfortunately it needs to be updated. Are there any plams to do this? Otherwise I would offer my help. Any idea, who I should ask?

pokken

Post by pokken » 2 weeks ago

cheonice wrote:
2 weeks ago
Collecting outdated decklists has no value, but having an easier access to all the threads in this forum via the Commander Decklist Database would be great. Unfortunately it needs to be updated. Are there any plams to do this? Otherwise I would offer my help. Any idea, who I should ask?
Ah, you're talking about collecting the threads people make vs. the updates! I see.

I wonder if there might be a way to code a main index of decks by using the Decklist tag centrally @Feyd_Ruin? I realize that'd make a lot of noise, but maybe have a role of:

Decklist tags in the OP of a post in the Decklists forum that are legal commander decks

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 weeks ago

Wait we have a decklist database? Why have I only just now heard of it today...

As for updates...I think the heavy release schedule we're in now makes everything pointless. No one wants to sit here and go over full sets every two weeks. I got way more important things to do, even if it's watching more wrestling or playing PS5. Moreso than typing about Magic on some forum constantly. It's exhausting. Way different environment than when spoilers were every three or four months.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 2 weeks ago

pokken wrote:
2 weeks ago
cheonice wrote:
2 weeks ago
Ah, you're talking about collecting the threads people make vs. the updates! I see.

I wonder if there might be a way to code a main index of decks by using the Decklist tag centrally @Feyd_Ruin? I realize that'd make a lot of noise, but maybe have a role of:

Decklist tags in the OP of a post in the Decklists forum that are legal commander decks
Yep, just the threads. That's what makes this forum special compared to reddit or decklist dumps.
3drinks wrote:
2 weeks ago
Wait we have a decklist database? Why have I only just now heard of it today...

As for updates...I think the heavy release schedule we're in now makes everything pointless. No one wants to sit here and go over full sets every two weeks. I got way more important things to do, even if it's watching more wrestling or playing PS5. Moreso than typing about Magic on some forum constantly. It's exhausting. Way different environment than when spoilers were every three or four months.
Yep, but there IS discusssion in our forum, there are dozens of threads for a plethora of decks. No need to duscuss every single card in every single thread.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”