JumpStart Cube brainstorming

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
How goes the building of the jumpstart cube?
Pretty good, but slow. My collection has really made a disaster out of our guest room, and we have guests this weekend so I've been trying to clean and organize. It's...really a huge mess. I'm also waiting for my Cubeamajigs and Podamajigs to come in so I can store packs as I make them.

I'm also trying to focus on mono-colored until I have three of each, then I want at one of each two-color combination. BUT, I couldn't shake this Selesnya soulbond idea, so I put that together:

Silverblade Paladin
Wolfir Silverheart
Spectral Gateguards
Nearheath Pilgrim
Nightshade Peddler
Geist Trappers
Pathbreaker Wurm
Trusted Forcemage
Cloudshift
Band Together
Immolating Glare
Joint Assault

Evolving Wilds|DarkAscension
Fortified Village
3 Plains
3 Forest

I really, really like soulbond, and I was bummed to learn from Maro's blog that it wasn't well understood by many players.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Hey @RxPhantom I'm curious if you got this assembled ever and how it plays.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Hey @RxPhantom I'm curious if you got this assembled ever and how it plays.
I've actually been working on it quite a bit lately. I'm still waiting on the Podamajig/Cubeamajigs to come in so I can properly assemble them. The OP of this thread was updated a bit, but progress is slow. Life often gets in the way. I've decided that I want it to start off with 25 mono-colored and 10 two-colored packs. Too much multi-color could lead to players not being able to cast their spells. Also, one of my favorite packs is your green Cheating one. I had to change it a little bit since I didn't own everything, but it's still pretty rad.

I'm still sticking to two rares/mythics per pack, though exceptions exist in the case of A) the rares themselves being low-powered or B) themes that need more support, i.e. madness and heroic. I'm still working on it, and it's going slow, but I'm still really excited about it.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Ulka

I'm glad to hear it. I've been designing my own set now too because of how much fun this seemed.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
I'm glad to hear it. I've been designing my own set now too because of how much fun this seemed.
That's awesome to hear! It is really fun to build and theorycraft. Neon Dynasty really reinvigorated my interest in Magic as a whole. There were so many cards for so many archetypes! If I get some time today, I'm going to try and complete the update to the OP for what I've got so far.

Ulka

Nice. My current Packs can be found here: https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/vffu

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Nice. My current Packs can be found here: https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/vffu
Cool! I need to get on CubeCobra. I didn't think it would be able to separate the packs like that. Right now I'm just using Excel. I did update the OP with everything I've built so far minus the mono-black aggro pack I just assembled today. What are your general design preferences/methodology?

Ulka

I'm sorting them by tag first so I just tag the packs accordingly. My current design choices are to pick a mechanic or theme that wasn't covered in original jumpstart and do 2 rare/mythic, 4 uncommon, 6 commons. I'm still deciding on if I'm doing basic thriving +7 basics or an adjusted land set for packs. So far I want 1 artist showcase per color so I just need green left and then form there it's hit random card on scryfall until something catches my eye

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I'm doing the Thriving +7 basics for most of the mono-colored packs, unless there's a land that will suit a pack's theme, like Great Furnace in the red artifact deck, Blighted Gorge in the burn deck, etc. For the the two-color packs it's three of each basic, but after that it just depends on the pack itself. Normally, it's a dual land (sometimes a rare one) and another more flexible piece of fixing. In many cases it's Evolving Wilds, but could also be a Rupture Spire variant, Terminal Moraine, etc. I really don't want fixing to be a frequent impediment. I'll definitely need to revisit the Orzhov life drain deck. The costs in that thing are super greedy.

I still haven't firmed up any artist packs, but I semi-randomly wanted to mention an artist who's really caught my eye lately: Dominik Mayer. His work is very identifiable, making frequent use of circles and right angles. He's got several pieces in New Capenna, did a lot of showcase art for Zendikar Rising and Strixhaven. I'd love to put together a pack of his work one day. The problem with some of the more thematic decks is that I still want them to be playable, and some of my favorite artists just don't have enough in one color.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Cube”