Modern bans and unbans - impacting Legacy attendance?

drmarkb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by drmarkb » 4 years ago

Thinking outside of the US for a moment. We in the UK are traditionally are not big Legacy players- I travel to an LGS an hour away and play once a month at a 25 player event, my local LGS has fired at times with 6-12. Larger Legacy events are normally side events of bigger events, REL comp events tend to be 20-40 player side events. We don't have the SCG scene of the US, and the bigger events in Legacy are the Mkm series- which are pretty costly to get to.

With SFM unbanned Modern players will pick up the package- at which point they are within striking distance of D n T in Legacy - the deck presumably being remarkably similar in Modern once you add the stoneforge package to a white hatebear shell- the only expense being to add Port and Wastelands, both of which are relatively cheap nowadays.
Ditto, if you have Hoogy dredge, then you presumably can convert the deck to Manaless, easily or regular dredge if you get the LEDs. Now often Modern players may scoff at the cists here, but with Jace and now SFM commanding a big price, with MH1 giving us yet more expensive and scace cards, that barrier looks to be increasingly small.
With Modern getting a public kicking, it could be that the relatively stable Legacy becomes more attractive- our format largely affected by nrw cards and tech shakimg the meta rather than egregious decks and mega bans. I doubt we are talking huge numbers, but I would not be surprised if there was marginally more interest in the format where it is not already hugely established with large circuits.

wildfire393
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by wildfire393 » 4 years ago

I have no idea what the Legacy scene looks outside of the US, but I live in a major US city and Legacy is basically dead, unfortunately. It's bigger on the East Coast and in California, but in the Midwest it's practically a non-entity these days. And I don't think Modern is doing it any favors. While there were some bannings recently, they were really just correcting problems introduced by recent sets. And while Legacy is "stable", recent additions have massively shaken up the format, and not in a great way when it comes to budget. Death and Taxes is at the weakest point it's been in a while, as Wrenn and Six and Karn both prey on it. Miracles is traditionally very budget friendly because it runs a lot of basics, and it has been a bit on the downswing as well. Earlier this year, Death's Shadow Delver was the Delver deck to beat and was extremely budget-friendly, but Dreadhorde and W&6 have pushed that particular build out of popularity. Meanwhile, up and coming decks have an increased reliance on expensive Reserved List cards outside of the usual blue duals - Mox Diamond for the W&6 decks and Depths, City of Traitors for the Karn decks, LED for Bomberman and Dredge, etc. And Wrenn and Six himself pushing $100 a copy doesn't exactly play easy on the budget either.

Diz
Griever
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Diz » 4 years ago

To be fair, WF, there are already a handful of Legacy-viable Walkers that have a $100+ pricetag. W&6 just happens to be another. Also, Miracles has been on an upswing, I would posit, largely due to the addition of Narset 2.0 and Teferi 3.0 to the card pool.

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I feel that legacy and modern for the most part are starting to come closer in terms of cards that are powerhouses in both formats.
W6, WAR Karn and Narset became good in both formats almost as soon as they were printed. if you have a set of SFM, you can build d and t without too much of an investment besides ports and wastelands. Legacy burn might be cheaper than modern burn due to being mono red.

the problem with legacy that may prevent more modern players from trying is still the reserved list, which I don't really wanna get into in this thread other than what may be pricing some people out of it. On the other hand though reserved lists seem like a safe investment in terms of not going down, which may attract people who may not like how volatile modern can be

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

with the unbanning of sfm, modern started to look a bit more like legacy.

not going to comment much about the reserved list. Except the original duals are good investments, and people should not be afraid to invest in them. Kept mine for almost 7 years before selling all. 2 Taiga, 2 Plateau, and 1 Savannah - I hope their new owners take good care of them.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Cow31337Killer
Answers: 1

Post by Cow31337Killer » 4 years ago

Legacy is a great format, and actually encourages a lot more "fair" decks than Modern does. It's a shame that it's essentially doomed to fade into obscurity. The playerbase just isn't gaining enough new players to sustain the format down the line, and dual lands being on the reserved list is a big reason for that. It's as if the accessibility issue that modern has was dialed up to an eleven.

Yawgmoth

Post by Yawgmoth » 4 years ago

Current modern player, been playing magic since 2012. This year, the constant whining and calls for bans amongst modern players has led me to become interested Legacy.

I am buying in to all of the land destruction and creatures to play Goblins. They were the first tribe I encountered when I was first introduced to mtg back in the late 90's (before it really took, I was too young!). The cost of dual lands is pretty daunting but the volatility of modern is pretty stressful. I don't mind dedicating $X to my monthly hobby but its not fun if I can't count on my deck being playable or worth anything a month after buying it.

How are essential are dual lands versus shock lands?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

[mention]Yawgmoth[/mention]

legacy has price of progress which is a lot of damage for multicolor decks. And the damage from shocks can add up to that real fast. Of course, you can try with shock lands first. Play a bit, and then determine if it matters in the local meta to have original duals or not.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Legacy”