Legacy New Card Discussion

wildfire393
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by wildfire393 » 4 years ago

Commander 2019 hits soon. Anything you think will make a splash?

Two cards stand out to me:
Mire in Misery - Two mana edicts are routinely good in Grixis builds. Liliana's Triumph and Angrath's Rampage are currently seeing play. Mire gives the option to hit enchantments as well, which has a few applications that could make it worth trying out. The fact that it lets Lands' Marit Lage hide behind Exploration could be a detriment though.
Scroll of Fate - A budget alternative to Illusionary Mask for Phyrexian Dreadnought builds. Probably doesn't make the cut, but it has enough cute applications (Fathom Seer anyone?) that it might be worth playing with.

drmarkb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by drmarkb » 4 years ago

Don't laugh, but I can see Nic fit players with Ohran Frostfang as a GSZ target. Then again that deck can play any number of odd janky critters.
I was gutted on Mandate of Peace. It looks like it should be good because restricting opponent's ability to cast spells can protect combos, and it can fog- so it mirrors Orim's Chant, which is a part of the niche deck Parfait's list for forcing through RIP/Helm or getting Land tax/Scroll rack or other lock pieces down- and buggering up unwary players of spell based combos like Storm or Tin fins. Ultimately isn't good enough due to the timing restriction and cost, even in that deck, and that is assuming you can find away to mitigate the card disadvantage.
I also think that making people lose enchantments in B is a big deal, but the either/or bit hurts it. If an Omniscience is down from s n t then you are likely dead anyway, for example. Want to kill one thing- and you get the other. Edicts need to be instant for my money, and this one isn't. I thought about the reclamation effect- bringing back permanents but I still can't see it doing enough. Overall I feel the set was cleverly designed to not add Legacy stuff in..........

Diz
Griever
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Diz » 4 years ago

I'm really interested in seeing the Flashback and Madness cards make waves. I'm going to be testing Anje's Ravager in a mono-R Madness shell.

drmarkb

A variation on Moon stompy type thing?

wildfire393

Frostfang is a decent target, but if Nic Fit really wanted a GSZ-able Coastal Piracy effect, they've had Edric, Spymaster of Trest for a while. I guess adding deathtouch on attacking makes it even slightly better, but I'm not totally sold still.

Mandate of Peace is interesting, but being restricted to combat makes it not great. If they're playing stuff in their precombat main they can basically ignore it.

Sevinne's Reclamation is interesting, but ultimately I think it loses out to Renegade Rallier with a similar effect. 5 is a pretty big ask on the flashback, and not being a creature itself limits what it can do. If you're just using it as an Unearth, just run Unearth. If you're just using it as a Restore, just run Restore. I'm not sure there's a deck with a significant market for both effects, and few that want to return other permanent types. Maybe some kind of Food Chain list? I know [mention]ExpiredRascals[/mention] was throwing around a GW list that would chain Fierce EmpathWoodland BellowerFierce Empath ->....-> Emrakul, the Aeons Torn.

drmarkb

I have seen so much jank GSZ'd by Nic Fit over the years, nothing would surprise me- one day I will be beaten to death by a Nic -Fit
player running Thicket Basilisk or Dire Wolf....). But yeah, it certainly is nothing to write home about.

Reclamation is spiking - just seems too expensive for gameplay for the reasons you suggest.

wildfire393

Theros Beyond Death is on the horizon, and it has a few spicy cards in it.

Most notably is Underworld Breach. This card is absolutely insane in Storm and will probably lead to something getting banned. Notably, you can go Lion's Eye Diamond, Brain Freeze yourself, get 9+ cards into your graveyard this way, recast LED, recast Brain Freeze targeting yourself, etc. After a couple of rounds of this, you can cast a couple Brain Freeze, Tendrils, or whatever out of your yard and kill your opponent. You could also cast the next card on this list.

Thassa's Oracle - Laboratory Maniac's usurper. Cheaper, and it wins right away on an empty library on ETB, even if they kill it in response, and without requiring another cantrip to do so. This makes things like Doomsday and Oops! All Spells more powerful, as they have to devote fewer cards to their kill. Oops! Now wins immediately upon Dread Returning this. Doomsday can set up piles that require less mana investment going in and fewer cards to actually make the kill. It's also a possibility as a one-of in Manaless Dredge lists that pack the Oops! millers, letting you win off of a single resolved Return as well.

Heliod, the Sun-Crowned - This is a bigger player in Pioneer and maybe modern, but it's notable that it has multiple two-card combos, including Spike Feeder for infinite life and Walking Ballista for infinite damage (given 2 counters to start on Ballista and an extra 1W to give it lifelink). Being a creature makes it easy to find, could have a place in some Nic Fit lists that in the past have run Feeder + Archangel of Thune.

Ox of Agonas - A potential option for Izzet Delver type lists, who have run Bedlam Reveler in the past. If you have a consistent way to discard it, this card plays an awful lot like a Treasure Cruise that leaves a body behind and casts itself again if it dies.

Tectonic Giant - A possibility for Red Prison decks, it provides a consistent source of card advantage or a 6-damage-per-turn clock, plus resists enemy removal.

Shadowspear - It's easily tutorable from multiple decks and removes Hexproof and Indestructible cheaply. It's not a slam-dunk at the moment but it has some potential applications in the future.

drmarkb

I think.the list is pretty accurate. I think that storm won't improve radically, what impacts storm- 3 sphere, Chalice, Leyline otv/RIP/cage, rule of law effects, taxes, flusterstorm still affects it. Making it more reliant on the bin might not improve it. I guess TES will use it, and some storm variants, but I don't think ban worthy

The Heliod combo could go in some white Eldrazi build. Nic fit seems fair with feeder, Maverick could run it too.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

I don't know much about legacy anymore, but it seems the Ox could be used by Dredge. Or is Ichorid still better?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 3 years ago

Lists occur with Ichorid still. Ox can pop up too. Bottom line is dredge is a nuts deck regardless of that slot.....they can faithless loot and pop down LEDs to discard hands and go nuts with the looting...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Legacy”