Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica

DrSeaMonster
Pronoun: they / them

Post by DrSeaMonster » 4 years ago

So this book is Ravnica as a campaign setting for D&D fifth edition, and it's pretty great.

Not only is it full of a ton of great lore for Ravnica, lots of great pieces of art blown up to a large size, but the new gaming content for 5E is really fun, too.

Has anybody read the book? Played in a Ravnica campaign, or even DMed one?
Abzan aligned, Timmy/Johnny with a Vorthos activated ability.

Commander decks: Karador. Riku. Savra. Vorosh. Teysa Karlov. Kaalia, Zenith Seeker.
Balthor the Defiled. Radha, Heir to Keld. Nath. Saheeli, the Gifted. Zurgo Helmsmasher.
Samut, Voice of Dissent. Grimgrin. Ertai, the Corrupted. Nicol Bolas, the Ravager. Elsha.
Glissa, the Traitor. Chainer, Nightmare Adept. Obosh. Nethroi. Konrad. Kros. Karametra.

TearsOfTomorrow
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by TearsOfTomorrow » 4 years ago

As a long time DnD player and dungeon master, I own the book and I've DMed a campaign or two in the setting. And yeah, it's really awesome :D

DrSeaMonster

I love my current character in a game. He's a simic hybrid sun soul monk, flavored as weaponized bio-luminescence.

Commander decks: Karador. Riku. Savra. Vorosh. Teysa Karlov. Kaalia, Zenith Seeker.
Balthor the Defiled. Radha, Heir to Keld. Nath. Saheeli, the Gifted. Zurgo Helmsmasher.
Samut, Voice of Dissent. Grimgrin. Ertai, the Corrupted. Nicol Bolas, the Ravager. Elsha.
Glissa, the Traitor. Chainer, Nightmare Adept. Obosh. Nethroi. Konrad. Kros. Karametra.

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

This book has really made me wanna get back into DND, if anything I might just get it for the read. Is it something that I could enjoy for the read alone?

TearsOfTomorrow

motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
This book has really made me wanna get back into DND, if anything I might just get it for the read. Is it something that I could enjoy for the read alone?
It's a bunch of rules. It does have quite a few lore boxes, but it is first and foremost a bunch of rules. Are you gonna enjoy reading a bunch of rules?

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

TearsOfTomorrow wrote:
4 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
It's a bunch of rules. It does have quite a few lore boxes, but it is first and foremost a bunch of rules. Are you gonna enjoy reading a bunch of rules?
Depends on what kind of rules, if anything I'd like to see what kind of classes they made. To my understanding, did they make a few classes for each guild?

TearsOfTomorrow

motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
TearsOfTomorrow wrote:
4 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
Depends on what kind of rules, if anything I'd like to see what kind of classes they made. To my understanding, did they make a few classes for each guild?
They just have Ravnica-themed flavor to classes that already existed.

DrSeaMonster

motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
TearsOfTomorrow wrote:
4 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
Well, it introduces a few new subclasses, but it mostly recommends which existing subclasses are a good fit for each guild.

What they also do in 5E is something called Backgrounds, it's an additional way to customize your character, you pick a sort of an archetype to build your backstory around and you get some extra bonuses and proficiencies. The Ravnica book has a background for each guild.

Foo

Post by Foo » 4 years ago

Fifth edition has a fixed number of classes. They haven't added an official class since the original Player's Handbook and right now it looks like they may only ever add one (an Artificer class is being debated) in the game's lifetime. Each of the base classes has any number of subclasses (wizard and cleric have about 10 each at this point) which provide variation and determine flavor.

Some classes take their sub at first level and the choice has an enormous effect on how they play. The warlock, sorcerer, and cleric subs all basically determine if you're a frontline or backline character right from the get-go.
Some classes take their subs at third level and aren't *terribly* varied. A fighter is pretty much fighter, though you have options for more or less consistency, more or less out-of-combat utility, etc. You still get a lot of flavor differentiation by taking a subclass though.
Some classes take their subs at second level and are in the middle. Wizards and Druids are in this category.

The Guide only has an Azorius cleric sub (which is hella spikey; arguably the most powerful level 1 option in the game right now) and a Golgari druid sub (which is less good, but much more flavorful).
Check out ongoing community Draft Simulations in the limited section. The fifth pick of Pack 2 in our first draft is currently live!
Cards Drafted So Far
Show
Hide
Healer of the Glade
Scorch Spitter
Sedge Scorpion
Duress

Maniacal Rage
Marauder's Axe
Moment of Heroism
Pacifism
Prismite
Season of Growth
Uncaged Fury

Chandra's Spitfire
Griffin Sentinel
Hanged Executioner
Ironroot Warlord
Glint-Horn Buccaneer
Rotting Regisaur

Dragon Mage
Meteor Golem

Kahedron
Non-Euclidean Polyhedron
Answers: 3

Post by Kahedron » 4 years ago

What about the other options for the players? Does it add in any more player character races, weaponary/general equipment?

I've been playing on and off since 2nd Edition and one thing I really miss from the earlier editions is the wide range of weapons you could get as it really helped from a world building perspective.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and start slitting throats.
- H.L Mencken

I Became insane with long Intervals of horrible Sanity

All Religion, my friend is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination and poetry.
- Edgar Allan Poe

TearsOfTomorrow

Kahedron wrote:
4 years ago
What about the other options for the players? Does it add in any more player character races, weaponary/general equipment?

I've been playing on and off since 2nd Edition and one thing I really miss from the earlier editions is the wide range of weapons you could get as it really helped from a world building perspective.
Guide to Ravnica does add races (Minotaur, Centaur, Loxodon, Vedalken, Goblin, Simic Hybrid), weaponry (Izzet flamethrowers) and equipment (guild signets), as well as guild-themed unique backgrounds and expanded spellcasting options for casters that belong to this or that guild.

DrSeaMonster

Simic Hybrid is a pretty fun and flavorful race, you get to pick two abilities off a list as your racial features. I got improved AC and a climb speed, my guy has been enhanced with crab and gecko.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Magic Products”