Well, it's official, the MTG movie is dead in the water.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, so if it is located in the wrong place, I apologize in advance and ask that a mod please move it to the right subforum.

Anyway, the MTG movie was at Fox, and Disney has just killed all in development movies in development there with the exception of the Avatar sequels, Planet of the Apes, and searchlight properties.

Dark Phoenix was the last straw and made Disney decide to kill everything and fire the higher-ups at FOX because they had no idea what they were doing.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/disn ... 203294296/

I can't say I am surprised about this development, but I am sad to see the MTG movie die this way. But then again, it was at FOX, so it would likely have bombed. I hope Disney decides they want to take a crack at it and make a deal with WotC/Hasbro, because I think Disney would enjoy having access to a major fantasy franchise in addition to their Sci-Fi and Super-Hero franchises.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Long as the TV show survives.

It's still alive, yes? O_O

TearsOfTomorrow

Post by TearsOfTomorrow » 4 years ago

I'd rather see it die in development than see the light and be the D&D movie all over again.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
Long as the TV show survives.

It's still alive, yes? O_O
As this only affected the movies made at Fox studios, I'd assume so. From what I hear, and lot of the FOX TV shows are doing really well.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

Isn't this, like, the fifth time the MtG movie has died? Over the past decade, I've kept hearing it was going to be a thing, followed shortly by hearing it wasn't going to be a thing.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

theMarc wrote:
4 years ago
Isn't this, like, the fifth time the MtG movie has died? Over the past decade, I've kept hearing it was going to be a thing, followed shortly by hearing it wasn't going to be a thing.
Man, I still remember the Rumors that were swirling about an MTG movie all the way back at Urza's Saga, but that was just it, they were only rumors.

But here, they were in pre-production. Script writing, finding a director, that kind of thing.

CalebLost
The Prince of the Ravens
Answers: 5

Post by CalebLost » 4 years ago

I'd say that since we had the news for the Netflix series coming I suspected the movie project was going to be abandoned even without the Disney/Fox meddling.
I prefer a good animated TV show than a high-budget blockbuster destined to flop (like the WoW movie)
Current Duel Commander Decks
EnemyShard
MerenAlesha
Rashmi
Jhoira
Tajic

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

CalebLost wrote:
4 years ago
I'd say that since we had the news for the Netflix series coming I suspected the movie project was going to be abandoned even without the Disney/Fox meddling.
I prefer a good animated TV show than a high-budget blockbuster destined to flop (like the WoW movie)
The WoW movie flopped because the script was bad and they really overestimated the number of people interested in seeing it. It didn't help that they marketed it as "the next Lord of the Rings".

An MTG movie with a good script which is not compared to another successful franchise in marketing has a much higher chance of success, particularly considering that there are considerably more people playing M:TG than there is playing WoW. But then again, it was at FOX...

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

I thought WoW did well overseas?

Edit: nvm, still lost money.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

Best news I've heard all day!
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

Lemme write the M:TG movie
cast the actress who played Missandei in GOT as Kiora
that's my only idea so far but I think it's worth throwing money at

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

Thank god they killed it again. The problem with sci-fi /fantasy franchises imo is that either you go big on budget and aim at box office or anything less is just plain bad.
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

CalebLost
The Prince of the Ravens
Answers: 5

Post by CalebLost » 4 years ago

folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
You mean Kaya?
Current Duel Commander Decks
EnemyShard
MerenAlesha
Rashmi
Jhoira
Tajic

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

CalebLost wrote:
4 years ago
folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
You mean Kaya?
You mean Garruk?

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

CalebLost wrote:
4 years ago
folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
You mean Kaya?
She could easily play either. But I think Zazie Beatz would make a better Kaya.

The trick with casting an ensemble franchise like this is to cast people who are recognizable but not yet A-listers (or casting former A-listers), with maybe one or two major names. A good franchise makes A-listers.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Not surprising given the announcement of the Netflix show.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Or the degree to which they phoned in Dark Phoenix.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Or the degree to which they phoned in Dark Phoenix.
Dark Phoenix performing like %$#% (as anyone with half a brain would understand) is the exact reason Disney shut it down. Of course, Disney already knew it was %$#%, but it was already made when they got FOX, and it had been heavily promoted by FOX, so what were they going to do, except release it? Fortunately, this also killed the %$#% that was going to be New Mutants, or at least relegated it to a Hulu release.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Actually, it's more a, have you ever seen The Producers?

Basically, their two Marvel movies had similar storylines, so they chose Captain Marvel over Marvel Girl. Because X-Men had been at best hit or miss, hell, The Last Stand, Logan, and Apocalypse are all forgettable and the less said about Fox's Marvel movies that weren't Spider-Man or the X-Men the better, while the MCU has done a lot better.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

hmm, Logan's my fave comic book movie and I think a lot of the film is fairly spectacular and memorable, plus the acting's good for a change. Lots of drama and human behaviour.

I also saw Apocalypse and that was just Things Happening until it ended. superhero fighting sequences are the most boring thing you can do with superheroes in my eyes

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”