[C19] Backdraft Hellkite, Ignite the Future (Mothership)

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2019-08-06

"Image" "Image"

Seriously, how the hell do people get these article links early? I stole this off Twitter, nowhere to be seen on the article page on the mothership.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

SyntheticDreamer

Post by SyntheticDreamer » 4 years ago

Ignite the Future seems really fun, and the flashback cost might actually be doable in most Commander games, but hitting three lands with it is probably up there in the "worst feelings in the world" department (although you could play two of those lands).
Lapsed DCI Rules Advisor - Retired from playing but still hanging around

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Both are very nice for the flashback deck

Is that Orim on ignite the future?

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Seriously, how the hell do people get these article links early? I stole this off Twitter, nowhere to be seen on the article page on the mothership.
Controlled distribution.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

These both look very nice. Backdraft Hellkite is a little slow, but I won't complain about a dragon being stapled to my Past in Flames. No haste is unfortunate (since this seems likely to die before you get to attack with it), but needing to pay 5 mana for the dragon in addition to any flashback costs means you likely wouldn't be doing much the turn it comes out anyway.

Ignite the Future looks like a lot of fun. I haven't really had any interest in playing Act on Impulse, but lasting until your next turn makes it significantly better.... and when you add in the ability to flash it back and play those cards for free, it seems particularly exciting. I'm a big fan of free spells. Looks to work very well with Kess, Dissident Mage.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

the Hellkite seems really slow but you can be really rewarded for protecting it. Ignite the Future looks like it could be insane

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

I like the dragon, while you gotta attack to get the flashback that leaves you the mana to cast your stuff.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
the Hellkite seems really slow but you can be really rewarded for protecting it. Ignite the Future looks like it could be insane
I don't think you'll want to use it before 1) your graveyard is nice and full, and 2) you have enough mana to use it properly.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
I don't think you'll want to use it before 1) your graveyard is nice and full, and 2) you have enough mana to use it properly.
pretty much this, both cards could be great in EDH. Even if you're not a storm deck you cn probably make great use of them

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Backdraft Hellkite can get certain instants and sorceries back from the graveyard for Feather, the Redeemed if any happen to go there (like if she was off the board for a time). Since flashback exiles and Feather's trigger exiles, flashback will be totally fine with it ("oh, it's going to exile? okay, cool - that's all I care about"). Similar to how exile-based flickers reset a creature that was unearthed.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”