[C19] Commander '19 Preview Panels Thread

First sword of Bant
Pronoun: he / him

Post by First sword of Bant » 4 years ago

Leadership Vacuum is quite the anti-voltron tool.
And I like how the art takes "Vacuum" so literally :grin:

Maluko
Answers: 1

Post by Maluko » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
RC EDH design desires: better red/white cards, interesting non-combat-related Boros decks, Feather as a good example; some counterplay to land ramp ("green is the best colour in the format - Sheldon); more "out there" legend designs
I am glad to hear the RC is aware there are very, very few non-controversial answers to land ramp decks in the format. Most playgroups dislike Armaggedon effects because they are often misused to troll players and/or stall rather than used as a legitimate win condition. This has given players a free pass to play as many lands and ramp spells (in green) as they wish during gameplay because they know that, in a casual game, their lands are safe from harm. Even Fall of the Thran, a card that I finally thought would be a fair land hate card for the format, is controversial among some players. I really hope to see some of these "counterplays to land ramp" in the new decks. They did print a good answer to Voltron strategies this time, so fingers crossed!
Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
CAG did not get votes in the banning, but got to curate a spreadsheet of problematic cards and partake in banning discussions (JLK and Adam Styborski name-dropped as anti-banning)
I would love to see this list, because I also run one myself, and would like to compare how their experience and feedback from the format compare with my own perspective.

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
  • WOTC liaises with the RC when making new cards
  • CAG was made to get more insight into the player base, with a consciously sampled range of mentalities (Rachel name-dropped as super spike, Shivam as super casual)
  • CAG did not get votes in the banning, but got to curate a spreadsheet of problematic cards and partake in banning discussions (JLK and Adam Styborski name-dropped as anti-banning)
  • Planeswalkers as commanders are great for flavour, but drag out games and are more structured, less wacky/buildaround
  • Walker commanders from the commander sets got RC requested to not generate emblems, and to be mindful of Doubling Season
  • RC EDH design desires: better red/white cards, interesting non-combat-related Boros decks, Feather as a good example; some counterplay to land ramp ("green is the best colour in the format - Sheldon); more "out there" legend designs
  • The RC puts trust in the players' exploratory nature to keep the format from homogenising
1) They could certainly use more keyword mix. Being a Melvin I love it when WotC did that during Time Spiral.

2) Emblems are fine as long as they are not too extreme. Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath for one has an alright emblem.

3) Nod to the Boros ideas and "out there" legends..

4) Yes, I would love to see some counterplay to land ramps, even if it's MLD. I understand why people don't like it but come on, you ramp to 6+ mana on turn three and want people to sit back and watch? Spells get countered, creatures get removed, lands get bombed, just accept it.

5) They should not underestimate players ability to homogenizing either. Consider how many players whined about the banning of Paradox Engine, it's evident enough that many, many players want easy mode.

Sefir

Post by Sefir » 4 years ago

I just wanted to say that lorewise, I consider Phyrexian agent K'rrik one of the best, smartest and darkest phyrexian villains (better than Volrath or Crovax f.e.) and the Time Streams one of the most underrated novels of all time. I am glad he is finally depicted in a card.

P.S. Of course the card has potential to be broken.
Zedruu the Greathearted 4-Card Combos Puzzlebox
Gluntch, the Bestower Controlled Hug
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Dakkon Blackblade Miracles Control
Teneb, the Harvester Pestilence
Soul of Windgrace Loam Balance
Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis Saclands
Phelddagrif Hippo Factory Lifegain
Riku of Two Reflections Dragon's Approach
Damia, Sage of Stone Casual Food Chain

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Sefir wrote:
4 years ago
I just wanted to say that lorewise, I consider Phyrexian agent K'rrik one of the best, smartest and darkest phyrexian villains (better than Volrath or Crovax f.e.) and the Time Streams one of the most underrated novels of all time. I am glad he is finally depicted in a card.

P.S. Of course the card has potential to be broken.
Indeed he got as clos as gix did on killing urza but Multani save urza and help him planeswalker exactly where K'rrik was standing

I still wish gix got a card

Sefir

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
4 years ago
I still wish gix got a card
With the pattern that Wizards seems to follow, it is only a matter of time for the Demon to get his own card too.

EDIT: As for the "Son of Yawgmoth" characterization, K'rrik has many times called himself with that title (though it is a title and nothing more). For example, in Time Streams there is a classic monologue of him when he captured Urza that he begins with the words "Children of Phyrexia, scions of the greater god Yawgmoth and his son K'rrik, newts and negators and spawn of time, behold the man who brought us here. Behold the man who opened for us the gateway to this new paradise, to Dominaria".
Sliver Queen Enchantress

CommanderMaster999

Oh 4pm est more preview(s)

Gerrard is one of them

Oh and Gavin hinted he's boros because he talked about his cloth and they are white and red

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

"I always start with 'how can I make my current decks better?' when I'm on a design team. If I need it, there's a good chance other people will need it too" - loosely quoting Gavin/Scott

"Image"

GAVIN: So when you see this card, what do you think to build around it?
SCOTT (dead sounding): Sweepers.

"Image"

No more spoilers until Monday
Last edited by Rumpy5897 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

I love that Jack Stella art. The guy has been knocking it out of the park. Stella is stellar 😁

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Am I crazy for picking up a bit of a Nielsen vibe off this piece of his, and Vivien's Arkbow?

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 4 years ago

It's a bit unfortunate that Gerrard won't be able to lead a full weatherlight crew deck. Hannah in particular, considering her prominent top billing in his mind's eye (the background panels).

I love the card, Boros commanders have been neglected for a long time, and now we're getting them in spades!

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Gerrard wants to lead an Equipment deck.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Am I crazy for picking up a bit of a Nielsen vibe off this piece of his, and Vivien's Arkbow?
Nah, I definitely see it, too.
JovialJovian wrote:
4 years ago
It's a bit unfortunate that Gerrard won't be able to lead a full weatherlight crew deck.
That's what Sisay, Weatherlight Captain is for!
(I'm thinking of making a Weatherlight deck to match my Phyrexia deck.)

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Gerrard is great with cards like Memory Jar, Mindslaver, Greater Gargadon, Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle, or generate mana in via Phyrexian Altar, Ashnod's Altar, Krark-Clan Ironworks, etc.

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

I love that the panel mentioned Arixmethes and sea monster tribal. Here's to hoping this year throws sea monsters another new toy. Another member would be nice. I'm counting on return to Theros for some Appropriate support though. Come On new whelming wave. Need
More rewards for sticking with the theme.

Orion

Post by Orion » 4 years ago

first off i was probley only going to buy one of these just to use it's mana base/tools for some other deck i would make down the line but because of k'rrik son of yawgmoth now i have some thing to look forword to other then just building a Yagmoth,tran physhian deck. Now i can build one with both *evil laugh*

Sefir

"When Gerrard, Weatherlight hero dies, exile IT"? IT??????
It is a HIM for God's shake!!!!
Excellent artwork though.
Sliver Queen Enchantress

CommanderMaster999

The best comparison is twilight shepherd I just realized heck they even synergize if the shepherd has a -1/-1 counter gerrard gets the artifact and creatures back in and the shepherd saves the other stuff he can't get

Artaud

Post by Artaud » 4 years ago

Gerrard + Obliterate / Jokulhaups deck?

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Sefir wrote:
4 years ago
"When Gerrard, Weatherlight hero dies, exile IT"? IT??????
It is a HIM for God's shake!!!!
I personally would prefer they revert to "it" on planeswalkers as well. After all we are exiling the permanent/card which definitely is an "it" - while the character remains untouched. It also removes all kind of fantastic prejudice issues, because sapience is really a spectrum in fantasy. If you have a bear, you call it "it", but what if she's a legendary creature, a queen and wearing a crown? And don't get me started on eldritch abominations...

Only planeswalkers get to be gendered, and really, after all the representation they put into their characters, I just would use the "they" for these proven sapient beings in general in rule text - if they insist on giving the permanent personhood, because it can "die" (despite the fact that the character is just leaving in a disloyal fashion).

It's understandable that all kinds of pronouns used for planeswalkers now leaves people wondering about legendary creatures, but it was an entirely avoidable problem.

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

Yeah, it's weird that they use gendered pronouns for planeswalkers, but not for anything else, not even legendary creatures.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”