[ELD] Rosewater Panel at SDCC

Istarkano
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Istarkano » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
If not an actual sword of x and y then some sort of powerful equipment to reference Excalibur
Oh, for sure! If this is Camelot meets Grimm, then Excalibur and King Arthur seem like absolute locks.
My EDH Decks
Show
Hide
Arcades the Strategist - Kefnet the Mindful - Heliod, God of the Sun - Valduk, Keeper of the Flame - Hallar the Firefletcher - Urza, Lord High Artificer

Proteus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Proteus » 4 years ago

I wonder if the Eldraine storyline takes place concurrent to War Of The Spark. I'm just amazed it's not infested with Gatewatch.

DrSeaMonster
Pronoun: they / them

Post by DrSeaMonster » 4 years ago

If I'm reading this right, I think Maro let slip that Bitterblossom is getting a reprint?
Abzan aligned, Timmy/Johnny with a Vorthos activated ability.

Commander decks: Karador. Riku. Savra. Vorosh. Teysa Karlov. Kaalia, Zenith Seeker.
Balthor the Defiled. Radha, Heir to Keld. Nath. Saheeli, the Gifted. Zurgo Helmsmasher.
Samut, Voice of Dissent. Grimgrin. Ertai, the Corrupted. Nicol Bolas, the Ravager. Elsha.
Glissa, the Traitor. Chainer, Nightmare Adept. Obosh. Nethroi. Konrad. Kros. Karametra.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

DrSeaMonster wrote:
4 years ago

If I'm reading this right, I think Maro let slip that Bitterblossom is getting a reprint?
Unlikely, as it is a "problem" card. The extended art version is from Ultimate Masters.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Cardz5000

Post by Cardz5000 » 4 years ago

One realization after re-reading the collectors booster: You can't get extended art rates/mythics or foil anything from the brawl decks.

SecretInfiltrator

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

The Gatewatch are on a break. WotC has officially decided to embrace their diverse cast and decided to switch to story-telling employing more of their characters. That said, we have Gatewatch-member storylines to finish as well, so they'll probably show up soon enough - but more as individuals in all likelihood rather than as a full team.
Cardz5000 wrote:
4 years ago
One realization after re-reading the collectors booster: You can't get extended art rates/mythics or foil anything from the brawl decks.
They are preconstructed decks. Precons never have random premium cards, so unless they have an always-foil face-card this was expected.

Cardz5000

I was talking about their appearances in collectors boosters.

JaceBluesMaster

Post by JaceBluesMaster » 4 years ago

Cardz5000 wrote:
4 years ago
The Brawl cards are confirmed to be in the Collector Boosters.

EDIT: I see what you mean. I tweeted MaRo. Hopefully he responds!

SecretInfiltrator

Cardz5000 wrote:
4 years ago
Oh, you meant ancillary cards in general. Yeah, they don't have foil slots. I think the extended art/borderless are already considered "premium" and hence don't get "double premium" treatment. It seems likely that enough begging could get them to add foil versions of those, too, for future sets.

JaceBluesMaster

I asked MaRo: "So, the Brawl Deck cards will show up in Collector Boosters. Will the unique Brawl Deck cards only show up in the Collector Booster's ancillary slot or can the cards appear in the rest of the pack? I really want a foil and/or an extended art version of Chulance!"

He responded: "They only show up in the ancillary slot. I don't believe a foil or extended art will exist for it."

So... That is massively lame! :(

Cardz5000

maybe feedback will be able to get them to change that for following sets. It might just have not been a thing that was thought of.

Arborea

Post by Arborea » 4 years ago

I'm home. This set looks absolutely beautiful, and it's the perfect theme for my tastes. It's got a serious "Disney through a mirror darkly" vibe, and I wonder if they're actively working together.

Cardz5000

But in all seriousness I want to do a draft with the collector boosters at least once.

JaceBluesMaster

Cardz5000 wrote:
4 years ago
But in all seriousness I want to do a draft with the collector boosters at least once.
20 dollar packs, you need 3 packs, so 60 dollars. Then you need 8 people, so in total, that's 480 dollars minimum to play a collector booster draft, not including prize support! :omg:

Avoozl

Post by Avoozl » 4 years ago

Cardz5000 wrote:
4 years ago
maybe feedback will be able to get them to change that for following sets. It might just have not been a thing that was thought of.
Except it's not just overlooked. Cards already being printed in foil can be put in the foil slots pretty easily by just printing more of them. Cards that only appear in non-foil versions outside of the collector booster would require they spend $$ on making foil sheets for them, printing them, and especially on collating them with the existing foils.

Putting new premium versions in the ancillary slot though, has all of those costs baked in for every card going in that slot, so it would have made no sense if they excluded the ancillary slot premiums for any card in the set, regardless of what product it appeared in otherwise.

SecretInfiltrator

Avoozl wrote:
4 years ago
Putting new premium versions in the ancillary slot though, has all of those costs baked in for every card going in that slot, so it would have made no sense if they excluded the ancillary slot premiums for any card in the set, regardless of what product it appeared in otherwise.
Care to elaborate? It seems that cards that don't have any foil versions otherwise would not come with any cost that creating a new foil sheet would require "baked in".

Only anything that already has foils comes without extra effort.

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

I really hope we get more Little Mermaid cards, including an Ursula variant.

I also anticipate a Beauty and the Beast, so I am really hoping for a Belle variant, she is my favorite Disney Princess alongside everyone's favorite, Cinderella. And honestly, if there's no Cinderella and her Prince, I will lose my damn mind and filter, and get banned here.

SecretInfiltrator

Well, we already see Cinderella in the background working her butt off on the "Evil Stepmother" card illustration. No way any Disney princess based on a fairy tale got forgotten (though the princess from the Frog Prince actually was quite generic except for her toy ball - which is really just an actual MacGuffin.

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

I hope they don't try to SuBvErT eXpEcTaTiOnS with all of the tropes because if you "subvert" all of them, it's no longer a surprise and people are expecting it. It's also a very overrated concept and overused.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

Serpent_Steve
King of the Elementals!
Answers: 1

Post by Serpent_Steve » 4 years ago

This post from Blogatog has me worried somewhat for the set, at least in terms of Camelot vs Fairy Tales influence:

Being British there is so much literature about the kingdom of Camelot it would be a shame for it to be overlooked because apparently basic entry knowledge isn't known (I assume this is the American influence lol).

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Serpent_Steve wrote:
4 years ago
Being British there is so much literature about the kingdom of Camelot it would be a shame for it to be overlooked because apparently basic entry knowledge isn't known (I assume this is the American influence lol).
Honestly i don't know about this. Even dismissing american's... lack of knowledge, medieval literature is different from country to country. Here in Italy, we have almost nothing about Arthur and his knights, but for example there are some pretty famous about Roland. Your basic knowledge for me is knowing the plot of Raging Roland, i've never heard about the Green Knight. Arthurian/Camelot is really country-specific, so i guess they want to avoid a Kamigawa #2

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

Ironically, the Green Knight is one of the only bits of Arthurian legend I actually do know.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Ah, the Green Knight, who allowed Sir Gawain to get ahead in life.

In the US - where Magic is produced and its biggest market, mind - Arthurian mythology is well-known in general but I think the only specific stories the general public really knows are: The Sword in the Stone, the quest for the Holy Grail, the romance of Lancelot and Guinevere, and the betrayal of Mordred. Stuff like Merlin's origin, the adventures of the lesser-known Round Table Knights, and others are only known by, well, serious Arthurian lit nerds.

Worth noting that Ludovico Ariosto's Orlando Furioso is considered one of Italy's greatest books of its era, just like Thomas Malory's Le Mort d'Arthur is considered one of Britain's greatest books. The medieval corpus of knightly stories is pretty country-specific, so something about, for example, a magic hunting horn belonging to the main hero would resonate in Italy while a hidden island of healing would resonate in Britain.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

so, and I don't want to be the only one, but

holy hand grenade of Antioch? you know the one brother meynard carries?

Sr. Rosewater has nodded the castle that was built in the swamp many times in his podcast

if there is a card that's a knight and in the art there is shrubbery. . .I called it! (and any shrubbery will work for me even a leaf cause I need this lol)

Beyondnoxx
Temple of Mystery caretaker

Post by Beyondnoxx » 4 years ago

I am so Very hyped for this set! Thanks for posting this!
- Noxx
Pauper:N/A
Commander:N/A
Modern:N/A
Cards to sort: 80.000-85.000 :hmm:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”