[ELD] Rosewater Panel at SDCC

Marquis
Spoiler Master
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Marquis » 4 years ago

I'm going to try and keep this post updated with the main info.

More details about collector boosters will go up on the mothership at 1030 EST

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2019-07-20 $20-25 a collector booster is rough.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

Oh man...what a tease. I thought this post had the info. I am sad.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

Fairy Tales, Camelot, Faeries... soo up my alley ^_^

cards/throne-of-eldraine/ SOONTM
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

So Goldilocks gets a payback in Eldraine. O_O

Lord_Mektar

Post by Lord_Mektar » 4 years ago

So, It looks like our natives to the plane are in fact the Kenrith twins. That's Rowan returning, note the design on her sword. I'm loving the classical fairy tale theme, and there's some very amusing art and references already. Also great are the fact that masterpieces and mythic edition style Planeswalkers are back in regular booster packs! It shows that WotC listens. However, they don't always seem to hear everything, as what's not so great is the fact that they're still trying to get us to play Brawl for some reason, instead of formats which are actually good. I don't even play Arena, and I still feel bad that the devs were made to waste time implementing it instead of literally anything else.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Lord_Mektar wrote:
4 years ago
So, It looks like our natives to the plane are in fact the Kenrith twins. That's Rowan returning, note the design on her sword. I'm loving the classical fairy tale theme, and there's some very amusing art and references already. Also great are the fact that masterpieces and mythic edition style Planeswalkers are back in regular booster packs! It shows that WotC listens. However, they don't always seem to hear everything, as what's not so great is the fact that they're still trying to get us to play Brawl for some reason, instead of formats which are actually good. I don't even play Arena, and I still feel bad that the devs were made to waste time implementing it instead of literally anything else.
I for one appreciates the classic MtG art style. Now I feel like playing old MtG, not some Avenger overlaps.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy » 4 years ago

Article: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2019-07-20

Edit: Aha, we got a card name! If you click on the card with the crazy new frame, you can see it's called "Flaxen Intruder".

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
4 years ago
Fairy Tales, Camelot, Faeries... soo up my alley ^_^

cards/throne-of-eldraine/ SOONTM
Same here , I wanted a fairy tale plane form magic since I started playing and I love Will and Rowan so two my fav walkers come from what gonna be my fav world I'm so %$#% happy. As an amateur folklorist I'm gonna love just driving through the flavor and art.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

CubJay

Post by CubJay » 4 years ago

Sniffnoy wrote:
4 years ago
Article: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2019-07-20

Edit: Aha, we got a card name! If you click on the card with the crazy new frame, you can see it's called "Flaxen Intruder".
Good catch! I guess this is Goldilocks as told by the bears XD

Just generally I am HIGHLY STOKETHED about this set.

enrai

Post by enrai » 4 years ago

As a Lorwyn fan, this set should be right up my alley, but honestly, judging from the art revealed at the panel, my first impression is kind of "eh..."

Obviously I can't make a final judgment until the whole set has been revealed, but at the moment it looks like I'll have the same problems with this set as I had with other modern "full-on" top-down sets like Theros, and (parts of) Innistrad. My main gripe being: The "references" are so blatant they're not even worth being called "references" anymore. Wizards just straight-up copies something and puts a different name on it.

I know, I know, they are doing this because of "resonance". Players love recognizing things, yadda yadda yadda. Wow, it's a thing I already know, just slightly different! How exciting! Except it's not.
When they just make a straight-up Gingerbread House/Man or Arielle, I don't feel "rewarded" because I recognize the stuff it's based on. Instead I feel like I'm getting a cheap knock-off of the original and also like my intelligence is being insulted a bit. Oh really, you thought you had to make it that obvious because I wouldn't get it otherwise? Well. Consider me disappointed. Why would I want the same thing? I already have it! Give me something new, damn it!

Lorwyn and Kamigawa worked as top-down worlds for me because while they were obviously inspired by a pre-existing thing, Wizards put their own spin on it. In contrast, their newer top-down worlds just feel like those "gritty remakes of classical stories" that have been popular for quite some time now. A Kamigawa reboot would probably come with a legend called "Amamichiru, Goddess of the Sun" or something. It's just so tiring.

Well, this post got a lot more negative than I intended. Even though I stand by what I said above, I'm still hoping that they'll win me over. For what it's worth, I love the basic land (?) artworks and some of the other art (including the fact that they got Omar Rayyan back on board for this set). That's a start.
previously known as soramaro

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

The artwork previewed is absolutely stunning. This set isn't just looking like a perfect capture of a theme I have been yearning to see (Fairy Tales and Camelot/Medieval) but it's actually doing it beautifully. This art genuinely feels like it belongs in a game named Magic. I just love when we get sets like this or Theros where we have an opportunity to guess and anticipate the various tropes and artist, card and design interpretation of the theme. I'm so thrilled to see The Little Mermaid, Evil Step Mother and Poisoned Apple tropes! And those stunning, enchanting landscapes.

As usual, Seb McKinnon is knocking it out of the park. Howard Lyon too, and I just adore that haunting weeping willow forest by Svetlin - I actually got a bit emotional seeing how beautiful the captures are of these Fairy Tale concepts. I just love it, reminds me of my childhood. I can't wait to add cards from this set to my decks.

The Livia Prima art of The Little Mermaid trope is my favorite. And Rowan is our Little Red Riding Hood but not so little anymore!
Last edited by Jace 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 4 years ago

This is going to be Seb's set XD

Amazing art and one of my favourite fantasy settings/themes.

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

The Plains, Swamp and Forest are so great. I just love it.

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

There is a small titbit of information hidden in the article:
- 3 mythic rare planeswalkers in a borderless alternate-art variant
Which means only 3 planeswalkers in this set (earlier in the article he wrote that borderless planeswalkers will have alternate art, while regular art ones will be in the set).

- 2 mythic rare, 5 rare, 9 uncommons, and 14 common alternate-art showcase cards
Which means only 30 cards will feature the new mechanic that requires the new framing and their rarity will not be color banaced.

They are really trying to milk all the money out of the playerbase with the "Collector Booster" aren't they?

Well... I'll have to scale down my Angels collection, then.
I really can't afford to buy all new rare and mythic angels up to 5 times each (regular, pre-release, stamped-promo, new mechanic frame and extended art).
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

CubJay

Post by CubJay » 4 years ago

Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
- 2 mythic rare, 5 rare, 9 uncommons, and 14 common alternate-art showcase cards
Which means only 30 cards will feature the new mechanic that requires the new framing and their rarity will not be color banaced.
I didn't initially catch that the showcase frames were exclusive to cards with this mechanic. That's pretty neat actually. It's an elegant way to justify which cards get the special treatments and which don't.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Called the theme.

Anyway, I like what we have seen so far. I might get one or two collector boosters, just to see what they are like. I like that they give us alternate ways to get cards like the BAB and precon specific cards.

As for the special alternate art frames. I thought WotC said they didn't want to make the same card in the same set with different art because it confused people. I am glad they changed their mind on this, I still remember the two to four different versions of the same cards we used to get in boosters in the old days (last set to do this was Alliances). But let's be honest, it was a silly reason, particularly considering the number of times certain cards have been printed with different art.

All in all, it does seem like an improvement to the game, and time will tell if it's a successful one.

Edit: I just realized something, Will and Rowan are twins, but Will is nowhere to be seen in the art. We also know that Maro likes to subvert expectations. So, I suspect that they are going to subvert the whole "princess in distress", with Will being in peril, and Rowan setting out on a quest to rescue him. It's a refreshing take on the trope.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Hunterofsalvation

Post by Hunterofsalvation » 4 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
So, I suspect that they are going to subvert the whole "princess in distress", with Will being in peril, and Rowan setting out on a quest to rescue him. It's a refreshing take on the trope.
It seems that they are doing the same with Sleeping Beauty
I am a Watcher, part of a secret society of men and women who observe and record, but never interfere.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

The collector boosters are cool, not cos I'm going to buy any, but cos it'll flatten the prices of all the cards in the set that don't have special presentation - I really liked the way that the Japanese-language planeswalkers from WAR kept the prices of the English-language ones in check and that effect's gonna be rolled out on to every relevant card in the whole Eldraine set, so that's good. I suspect this'll be a relief for anyone who doesn't play competitively unless they're an absolute maniac collector!

As for the contents of Eldraine, I'll wait and see. I never asked for Disney: The Gathering but that's what I'm getting and I'll keep an open mind!

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
The collector boosters are cool, not cos I'm going to buy any, but cos it'll flatten the prices of all the cards in the set that don't have special presentation - I really liked the way that the Japanese-language planeswalkers from WAR kept the prices of the English-language ones in check and that effect's gonna be rolled out on to every relevant card in the whole Eldraine set, so that's good. I suspect this'll be a relief for anyone who doesn't play competitively unless they're an absolute maniac collector!

As for the contents of Eldraine, I'll wait and see. I never asked for Disney: The Gathering but that's what I'm getting and I'll keep an open mind!
From what little art we have seen, they are going to subvert the heck out of the fairytale tropes. Goldilocks as a mighty huntress for example. It's going to be glorious.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

The_Greasy_Strangler
Bullsh*t Artist

Post by The_Greasy_Strangler » 4 years ago

I love Omar Ryan's Goldilocks.

Btw. No commander 2019 spoilers/info from this panel so close to release? Weird.
Tell you a secret: I am the Greasy Strangler

bb84Prez

Post by bb84Prez » 4 years ago

I assume the Collector Boosters will only be on the Hasbro store/Ebay store/or whatever platform they want to destroy this round :) In all seriousness, at $20-25 a pop that is a lot of money! He didn't specify how many are in a box, but if we assume a 24-pack box @ $20 is $480!! The only positive is that you are getting at least 2 Rare/mythics and a 1-in-10 chance of getting a borderless planeswalker in the showcase slot [only 30 showcase cards as pointed out above, and there are 3 planeswalkers], so the value is likely there if you hit a good showcase or planeswalker.

The showcase cards remind me of the Aftermath cards from Amonkhet. Just looking at a template, you probably can only play the storybook part
only if it's on the battlefield on your turn like a sorcery and the right side is likely a basic static ability or trigger.

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

I can't believe they took out the only non-lazy thing in promo packs. What's the point anymore?

They told us a while back that there wouldn't be any C19 info, only a confirmation of preview dates. Makes sense, as the focus was entirely on ELD.

The Collectors booster is interesting. I can't imagine it will end up being worth the money and if it is, price gouging will be rampant.

I'm definitely not sold on the storybook mechanic text box nor the Showcase frame. Guess that'll save me money in paper and Arena lol.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Curtain. PLAYERBASE and R&D

PLAYERBASE: We dislike the buy-a-box promo being mechanically unique. We gave you negative feedback when you did this a few times in the nineties, I thought we were through this already. The reception is still negative.
R&D: We hear you, but it will take a while to implement because of internal stuff.
PLAYERBASE: Ok, fine.
R&D: Meanwhile, enjoy these mechanically unique cards in game night or whatever that supplemental product was called!
PLAYERBASE: Guys...
R&D: Also, enjoy these mechanically unique cards in preconstructed decks for a format that was dead on arrival! Gavin will write next week why we're shooting adrenalin up the shoulder of a corpse! Oh yeah and there's still buy-a-box promos that are unique!

Curtain.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
R&D: Meanwhile, enjoy these mechanically unique cards in game night or whatever that supplemental product was called!
PLAYERBASE: Guys...
R&D: Also, enjoy these mechanically unique cards in preconstructed decks for a format that was dead on arrival! Gavin will write next week why we're shooting adrenalin up the shoulder of a corpse! Oh yeah and there's still buy-a-box promos that are unique!
You are forgetting the mechanically unique cards in the planeswalkers decks.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 4 years ago

To summarize it, from now on even more higher rarities will be presented in the game, but at least there will be the same cards.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”