Fall set Name revealed at SDCC

Marquis
Spoiler Master
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Marquis » 4 years ago

Apparently the Magic Booth at SDCC decided to scoop Mark Rosewater.

https://screenrant.com/magic-gathering- ... e-new-set/

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

We'll learn more on Saturday with any luck. For now we've got "decadent court intrigue set" and I think that was on the shortlist.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Necrofish
Answers: 2

Post by Necrofish » 4 years ago

Faeries discord is on a rampage rn. Another guess coming from there is "Fairy Tale" themed as well as "Dungeons and Dragons" themed.
Wydwen is much too cool for you.[/size]

Ulthwithian

Post by Ulthwithian » 4 years ago

Faeries everywhere. This very much looks like 'fixed Lorwyn'. Or... could it BE Lorwyn? Looked at in a certain way, that set symbol looks an awful lot like Oona. If so, then Eldraine might be a combination of Lorwyn and Shadowmoor... but we know that this is considered by MaRo a new plane, so... ><

This seems REALLY weird. Given the Faeries, one would assume that the Throne of Eldraine is a fairy throne, but I thought that non-human-centric planes didn't go over well....

Crimson

Post by Crimson » 4 years ago

So this will probably be our high fantasy set and prove naysayers that Lorwyn indeed had potential. I can't wait!

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

FAIRY TALE WORLD PLEASE!!!!
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

So there was all this secrecy for a name that reveals almost nothing?
Well, we'll have to wait until saturday i guess

Exares

Post by Exares » 4 years ago

I can't say I'm super excited, but I wasn't excited for Ixalan and it became one of my favorite planes, so... Let's see what MaRo tells us on Saturday.
Apathy is death.
Varina, Zombie Queen
Edgar, Family Reunion
Sefris, Dungeons of the Forgotten Realms
Jhoira, Legendary Artifacts
Old Rutstein, Graveyard Weirdness
Raphael & The Infernals
Yawgmoth, Phyrexia Forever
Selvala, Wild Stampede
Jace, Always Jace

Atraxian
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

Faeries? Nice. It probably means no big angels. My wallet thanks them.
On the other hand, faeries mean much more support for Sephara.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

Ulthwithian

Post by Ulthwithian » 4 years ago

Among the top of my queries... why did they pick a name for the set/plane (Eldraine) that sounds so much like one of their other IPs (Eldrazi?)

The name itself points to Arthurian legend, with it being an amalgamation of Elaine, Gawain, and a few other names/sounds I'm sure I'm not thinking of at the moment.

If a native PW is indeed the face of the set, according to MaRo on his blog, then it's likely Kasmina, as it's been previously stated that they have plans for her. The only other narrative choice is Garruk, and I really doubt that they would make Garruk from a plane so... courtly.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 4 years ago

Well, they kinda like to start things from "Eldr..." it seems.
Also I guess there will be humans. Though it's kinda strange to hear they wanted to make exactly this setting for 10 years which means they started when Lorwyn was only 2 years old block.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

Ulthwithian wrote:
4 years ago
Among the top of my queries... why did they pick a name for the set/plane (Eldraine) that sounds so much like one of their other IPs (Eldrazi?)

The name itself points to Arthurian legend, with it being an amalgamation of Elaine, Gawain, and a few other names/sounds I'm sure I'm not thinking of at the moment.

If a native PW is indeed the face of the set, according to MaRo on his blog, then it's likely Kasmina, as it's been previously stated that they have plans for her. The only other narrative choice is Garruk, and I really doubt that they would make Garruk from a plane so... courtly.
The Kenrith twins had been raised with "knighty virtues" so they are likely as well. There are also a number of walkers with unknown home planes, or just someone new.

EDIT: one thing to remember the "waiting 10 years to make this" Maro has been saying might be a mechanical/design aspect of the set and nothing to do with flavor. We don't even know if this is a top down or bottom up design yet.
Last edited by 5colorsrainbow 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

SyntheticDreamer

Post by SyntheticDreamer » 4 years ago

As long as there are no Eldrazi on Eldraine, I'll be happy. Seriously, though, I'm already looking forward to seeing this. Maybe we get a trailer on Saturday.
Lapsed DCI Rules Advisor - Retired from playing but still hanging around

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Well, this was unexpected. I suppose we'll need to wait a bit longer for Kaldheim.

Still, visiting the court of the Fey sounds sweet.

I'm sure that there will absolutely nothing suspicious going on there whatsoever, and it will be a nice break from all the tension that was present in WAR. (/s)

SyntheticDreamer

Post by SyntheticDreamer » 4 years ago

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
Well, this was unexpected. I suppose we'll need to wait a bit longer for Kaldheim.

Still, visiting the court of the Fey sounds sweet.

I'm sure that there will absolutely nothing suspicious going on there whatsoever, and it will be a nice break from all the tension that was present in WAR. (/s)
Well, we know Bolas and Ugin won't be there. Unless Wizards really hates us. :P
Ulthwithian wrote:
4 years ago
Unless they retconned it, Garruk's origin story takes place on a plane that resembles medieval England, and his spark initially ignited during a conflict with a local feudal sheriff. There's actually a chance we could see Garruk here depending on what the "royal court" is like.

However, I want to think that this might be Wrenn's home plane. Wrenn is a dryad and for some reason I think it would make sense.
Lapsed DCI Rules Advisor - Retired from playing but still hanging around

Izzetosaurus Rezzix

Post by Izzetosaurus Rezzix » 4 years ago

First post on this site!

I'm intrigued to see where they go with this. I'm curious to see if they are trying to inject the intrigue of the Conspiracy sets into Standard in a format-friendly way. I know that's huge speculation based solely on a set name, but, until we hear official word, I'm thinking about it.
It's like a T-Rex outfitted with Izzet tech... think electrophasic cannons with bite-force.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Yeah, I think this might be the Arthurian place Kasmina and the Kenrith siblings are from.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

TearsOfTomorrow

Post by TearsOfTomorrow » 4 years ago

We already have a Titania in MtG. If we don't get an Oberon in this set I'm going to be very mad.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

I'm gonna be ticked if we don't finally get are fairy tribal legend here

And it's fantasy themed it's got be based off of dungeons and dragons

Kasmina has got to be from here

I hope we get are cleric tribal legend here as well please finally give Edgewalker a home at long last

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

For people talking about Maro's hint of the face Walker being a native. He never said we knew the face Walker already. Maro likes to troll us with these hints don't put in too much hope.

Necrofish
Answers: 2

Post by Necrofish » 4 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
4 years ago
[...]And it's fantasy themed it's got be based off of dungeons and dragons[...]
We even got a Bag of Holding in 2020. One of the most iconic DnD items.
Wydwen is much too cool for you.[/size]

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

With a high fantasy setting, I'm hoping for a Griffin legend. The only one we have is Zuberi, Golden Feather.
Then, of course, knights and dragons... Those can't be missing.
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah, I think this might be the Arthurian place Kasmina and the Kenrith siblings are from.
inb4 Kasmina is a female version of Merlin and Arthur is Sabre from Fate/Stay Night.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Things I expect/want/hope for:

1. More Sagas
2. Playable, powerful, and good Unicorns with a Unicorn lord.
3. Devotion returns? There's simply way too many interesting mana symbols in standard to not do it.
4. Fairy, Knight, and Wizard tribal themes
5. Monarch in Standard?
6. Witches, curses, and a way to make such a strategy viable in Commander

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Necrofish wrote:
4 years ago
CommanderMaster999 wrote:
4 years ago
[...]And it's fantasy themed it's got be based off of dungeons and dragons[...]
We even got a Bag of Holding in 2020. One of the most iconic DnD items.
Which existed in fantasy literature literally since Arabian Nights. Which is *way* before D&D was a glimmer in Gary Gygax's left eye.

As for the name, I like it, it evokes Arthurian Legend and British mythology.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

If this is the Fairy Tale World with Faeries... it's a win. I hope it will have strong Celtic/European influences in the setting as Lorwyn did. Essentially more focus on human interactions with the fantasy elements, as opposed to being as foreign as Lorwyn sometimes could by lacking the human element. I have a feeling we may get our Faerie planeswalker here. The story may be self-contained as well, which I welcome. Adding humans and more high fantasy elements to Lorwyn to achieve this makes a lot of sense. It's what gives us a good foundation for delivering Fairy Tale tropes without fundamentally changing Lorwyn.

I do think they should avoid taking this approach with a Japan World plane, and actually re-structure Kamigawa instead. It makes sense to pass on Lorwyn in favor of a more appropriate setting, due to lack of humans. But Kamigawa is Japan World, and is expected to be different now.

Fae, Knights, Kings, Queens, Romance, and drama. Eldraine, here we come! :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”