Spoiler Master
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Marquis » 4 years ago

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenorsi ... aneswalker

Note no actual card info, but he looks Temur

YawgmothPrime

Post by YawgmothPrime » 4 years ago

First, he's hot, like hotter than Yawgmoth hot. I would never cheat on Yawgmoth, but...
Second, it's a surprise that he's of regular height and fairly humanoid. When they said fae walker, I half expected a tiny figure, but he could always shapeshift from one size to the next.
Third, I think he's going to be our first Sultai walker. The colors depicted on his art show this and his personality I can see as more of a Sultai bent due to the selfishness in there than Temur.
All in all, I like him and cannot wait to see what his card does and how he plays into the larger story.
The human body is a machine to be perfected.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

YawgmothPrime wrote:
4 years ago
First, he's hot, like hotter than Yawgmoth hot. I would never cheat on Yawgmoth, but...
Obviously the most important question: Would you still date Yawgmoth after he became a nonphysical god of black mana?

I'm feeling BGU too. He comes off as a callous and capricious sort of being.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Marquis
Spoiler Master

Post by Marquis » 4 years ago

I'm Still feeling Temur as his whole i want to be free to me screams red.

shukkets
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by shukkets » 4 years ago

Oh, neat. He's very much got the whole David Bowie's Goblin King vibe going for him.

Also, it looks like all the planeswalkers in this set are natives to the setting. When was the last time that happened? Never?
Lorwyn-Shadowmoore Block : LRW (0/5) MOR (0/0) SHM (0/0) EVE (0/0)
Alara Block : ALA (2/4) CON (0/1) ARB (0/0) 
Zendikar Block : ZEN (1/3) WWK (0/1) ROE (0/2)
Scars of Mirrodin Block : SOM (1/3) MBS (0/1) NPH (0/1)
Innistrad Block : INN (0/2) DKA (1/1) AVR (1/2)
Return to Ravnica Block : RTR (1/2) GTC (1/2) DGM (1/1)
Theros Block : THS (1/3) BNG (0/1) JOU (0/1)
Tarkir Block : KTK (1/2) FRF (1/1) DTK (2/2)
Battle for Zendikar Block : BFZ (1/3) OGW (1/2)
Shadows Over Innistrad Block : SOI (2/3) EMN (0/2)
Kaladesh Block : KLD (3/3) AER (0/2)
Amonkhet Block : AKH (0/3) HOU (1/2)
Ixalan Block : XLN (1/3) RIX (1/2)
Dominaria : DOM (3/3)
War On Ravnica Block : GRN (2/2) RNA (1/3)  WAR (3/36)
Nope, nevermind, it's happened before, and recently too.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

shukkets wrote:
4 years ago
Oh, neat. He's very much got the whole David Bowie's Goblin King vibe going for him.

Also, it looks like all the planeswalkers in this set are natives to the setting. When was the last time that happened? Never?
They didn't say he was from Eldraine.

I was guessing UG and maybe red too and the art makes me he is temur.

I also very much get a puck vibe from his art.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

I feel the oppressive society probably is not Eldraine. It could be, but I got the impression Oko is currently running from his past - as red planeswalkers are wont to do. ; )
YawgmothPrime wrote:
4 years ago
Third, I think he's going to be our first Sultai walker. The colors depicted on his art show this and his personality I can see as more of a Sultai bent due to the selfishness in there than Temur.
But green-blue-red are Temur colors... Maybe we see different colors in that art.

I think his irreverence to authority is a strong red streak as well. He doesn't seem intentionally cruel, just self-important like Niv-Mizzet. Having a black color alignment in a Faerie planeswlker certainly would be nice for the Lorwyn-Fae connection, but the character as presented screams red unsteadiness and impulsiveness from the strong emotional bend on the trust issues to the running from consequences.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

shukkets wrote:
4 years ago

KLD should be 3/4; Nissa was in KLD and is from Zendikar.
DOM should be 3/4; Chandra was in DOM and is from Kaladesh.

DTK and GRN are correct though and are probably the only cases. Like [mention]5colorsrainbow[/mention] said, Oko might not be from Eldraine. From his backstory I get the impression he probably is not.
SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
But green-blue-red are Temur colors... Maybe we see different colors in that art.
I see green-blue-purple, and purple magic is usually associated with black.
Last edited by spacemonaut 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

YawgmothPrime

Post by YawgmothPrime » 4 years ago

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
I feel the oppressive society probably is not Eldraine. It could be, but I got the impression Oko is currently running from his past - as red planeswalkers are wont to do. ; )
YawgmothPrime wrote:
4 years ago

I think his irreverence to authority is a strong red streak as well. He doesn't seem intentionally cruel, just self-important like Niv-Mizzet. Having a black color alignment in a Faerie planeswlker certainly would be nice for the Lorwyn-Fae connection, but the character as presented screams red unsteadiness and impulsiveness from the strong emotional bend on the trust issues to the running from consequences.
I do see it as more of a purple than red, as a pinkish purple. The other two colors come across clearly so it'd be weird if they chose the red to not be a more solid red. His personality also sounds to be black aligned as he's conceited, vain, and has no care towards the emotions and feelings of others, just his own amusement. I can see where that can also be seen as red, but my speculation would be Sultai over Temur. I also think adding G to the already established UB of Faeries makes since and wouldn't throw off others who are coming in with Lorwyn memories than adding GR to U.
The human body is a machine to be perfected.

Watchwolf
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Watchwolf » 4 years ago

I think I'm in the Sultai camp on this guy. Temur would make sense too though.

I am a bit bothered by the artwork though. Colors aside, why are there magic-y, thorny vines? He's a shapeshifter, isn't he? What about shapeshifting magic involves glowing ghostly vines coming out of your fingers?

I know it comes down to the fact that these days, every planeswalker has to have some visual flare that shows them casting spells or something in their art, but I am getting a bit bored of the "glowy stuff coming out of their hands" trope.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

YawgmothPrime wrote:
4 years ago
Second, it's a surprise that he's of regular height and fairly humanoid. When they said fae walker, I half expected a tiny figure, but he could always shapeshift from one size to the next.
Fae in Gaelic, Germanic, and Norse myth are human sized (roughly). In Gaelic myth in particular, the Seelie and Unseelie courts liked to steal away children and replace them with their own.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

italofoca

Post by italofoca » 4 years ago

From the art I get bgu but from the description I get gur. Pranksters are usually thought to be red but I could see it in black somehow. Like someone who enjoy deceiving others a bit too much.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

Watchwolf wrote:
4 years ago
I think I'm in the Sultai camp on this guy. Temur would make sense too though.

I am a bit bothered by the artwork though. Colors aside, why are there magic-y, thorny vines? He's a shapeshifter, isn't he? What about shapeshifting magic involves glowing ghostly vines coming out of your fingers?

I know it comes down to the fact that these days, every planeswalker has to have some visual flare that shows them casting spells or something in their art, but I am getting a bit bored of the "glowy stuff coming out of their hands" trope.
He has nature magic. Fitting it since Oko might make the thorn thicket Rowan is cutting down in the key art.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I'd totes go to his concert, what a rock star.

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

For colors, if they have to somewhat balance the colors of the planeswalkers I would put him in Sultai. We already have mono-blue and a mono-red walker, so giving him both red AND blue putting him in Temur colors could be a little too much.
Not to mention that we will have a little too many red walkers even after rotation, but... We will have to wait and see, I guess.

On another note...
...Women in magic showing some skin is a big no-no, but men can almost show their pubic hair no-problem...
Riiiiight...
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

BOVINE
Legendary Creature – Ox

Post by BOVINE » 4 years ago

He is intentionally cruel though as per the Q&A. His tricks know zero boundaries. Pretending to be a once lost child returning home to its mother is intentionally cruel. Could be BUG. Could be GUR. Time will tell. That purple-ish vine could go either way. Trickster magic seems GUR though.

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

BOVINE wrote:
4 years ago
Trickster magic seems GUR though.
Lorwyn faeries were tricksters and played tricks like that (switching a child in a crib with a changeling, for example) and they were represented in blue and black colors, I think it suits Sultai colors a little more.
Playing cruel pranks and enjoying ruining the best day in people's lives for personal amusement sounds more black than red, at least to me.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

RtKART
Illustrator

Post by RtKART » 4 years ago

I'm honestly most curious about bloody crown he is wearing, looks like it is made from bone, which makes me think he is sultai with that nod to the macabre.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 4 years ago

Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
For colors, if they have to somewhat balance the colors of the planeswalkers I would put him in Sultai. We already have mono-blue and a mono-red walker, so giving him both red AND blue putting him in Temur colors could be a little too much.
Not to mention that we will have a little too many red walkers even after rotation, but... We will have to wait and see, I guess.

On another note...
...Women in magic showing some skin is a big no-no, but men can almost show their pubic hair no-problem...
Riiiiight...
Women in magic show skin:
Look at the older arts of Serra Angel, Elvish Ranger, and Pacifism, and the new art for Bloodbraid Elf.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

He's FABULOUS.
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

gasmaskdandy

Post by gasmaskdandy » 4 years ago

WOTC is clearly trying to steal my wallet. He's mad cute, has the Fae King thing going on.... Only problem is it feels like it's been years since good stuff for B/W. I'd really love it Deadguy Ale was playable in Legacy again :unamused: Either way, looking forward to jumping back into this MTG big time with this set!

CubJay

Post by CubJay » 4 years ago

I definitely dig the Puck vibes. I've always loved Midsummer Night's Dream, and while it's not Grimm's or Arthurian, I feel it occupies a similar space, trope-wise, so he'll be right at home on Eldraine. Definitely feeling Sultai. Tricksters are fun from a distance but ultimately selfish and cruel, cuz the punchline of every joke is someone's day being ruined. I can't wait to see what he can do! Hopefully he feels as tricksy in-game as he seems to be in lore :)

Max Rebo
Husband of Serra

Post by Max Rebo » 4 years ago

Not a fan....oh well..maybe the next one.
Also very much dislike the fact that they have now set up the premise that ANY planeswalker we see in story or cards MIGHT not even be that walker but a Shifted Oko. ughhh......

Whiffypenguin

Post by Whiffypenguin » 4 years ago

I was a little shocked at the response he got from twitter. It was very sexual. Maybe i'm wrong, but isn't this like the exact same thing as sexulaized women? What makes distilling this interesting character down to how many abs he has ok?

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 4 years ago

Whiffypenguin wrote:
4 years ago
I was a little shocked at the response he got from twitter. It was very sexual. Maybe i'm wrong, but isn't this like the exact same thing as sexulaized women? What makes distilling this interesting character down to how many abs he has ok?
What's wrong with people being attracted to art? I think him being good looking is part of his character. Ted Bundy used his good looks to seduce women and trap them. Liliana used her looks to manipulate Jace. The Rakdos cult definitely has a S&M thing going on, and that's part of their appeal, and part of the reason why the Azorius hate them so much. You can't tell a red character to dress conservatively or a black character to not use their looks to get what they want. Green characters may be naked just because of nature. If Wotc made a card with a member of the Azorius half-naked I'd complain, but otherwise it's just part of the story.

EDIT: I think sexualizing women is wrong if all female characters were just sex objects for the purpose of the story, but if we have three dimension characters who sometimes use their sexiness to their advantage I don't don't think that's a bad thing.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”