[ELD] Chulane, Teller of Tales & Arcane Signet

Morganelefay
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Morganelefay » 4 years ago

These are found in the Brawl precons launching with ELD. Come from Wizard's official site.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2019-07-22

This article also includes info on the Brawl decks, cards in it WILL BE STANDARD LEGAL.
Last edited by Morganelefay 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
EDH Decks:

Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis - Arise, Lord Hogaak.
Grumgully, the Generous - The wonderful world of Ferngully.
Prime Speaker Zegana - Draw Cards Tribal.
Pir, Imaginative Rascal & Toothy, Imaginary Friend - Imaginary Superfriends.
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Taxes, Denial and Fatties.
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - Dinos and Eldrazis, oh my.
Ayara, First of Locthwain - March of the Black Queen.
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh - Chandra Tribal.
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim - Curious Contraptions

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

Arcane signet is gonna be the next go to mana rock in commander.

I don't play brawl since I don't care for standard in general but these decks can be molded int ocomamnder decks so thats sweet.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

SyntheticDreamer

Post by SyntheticDreamer » 4 years ago

Yeah, Arcane Signet will go in basically every Commander deck ever (except colorless ones, obviously).

Chulane is...weird. I'm glad he enables his own triggered ability, though.

I also notice the collector numbers on these cards are missing the total number of cards in the set (i.e. "[card number]/[total # of cards]"). I guess they've decided to drop that given how many "extra" cards get printed in each set?

EDIT: I just noticed Chulane has vigilance, which makes that second ability a lot better. He's definitely the right colors for it, too. He's for Brawl but I think he'd make a decent commander of the 100-card variety.
Lapsed DCI Rules Advisor - Retired from playing but still hanging around

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

This is pretty much what I was expecting when I posted earlier that the Brawl decks will be an additional, frequent source of new cards for Commander players.

I feel really weird about grouping all these ancillary cards into the set they are released with. Threads like this should be tagged not only with [ELD] - considering how many product fall under that code, we'll need [ELD][Planeswalker Deck], [ELD][Brawl Deck], [ELD][Buy a Box] etc.

I actually just wish they'd recognize this with their rarity symbols as well i. e. a fifth color of rarity for cards that are just not in the rarity system of the other four. Can we have purple back? Or cyan?
SyntheticDreamer wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah, Arcane Signet will go in basically every Commander deck ever (except colorless ones, obviously).

I also notice the collector numbers on these cards are missing the total number of cards in the set (i.e. "[card number]/[total # of cards]"). I guess they've decided to drop that given how many "extra" cards get printed in each set?
I could see them skipping the total only on the ancillary ("extra") cards.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

I need approximately 10 of the signets, please. XD
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Excellent mana rock, neat-looking legend. These Brawl decks may turn out well after all.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Not really a brawl player, but I *am* a commander player, and I will be getting these decks. For each of them can work as a basis for a commander deck. Plus you know, awesome mana rock, and very interesting legendary creature to build around.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

I... was not expecting spoilers already.

Arcane Signet will be coveted in Commander for sure.

Chulane is amazing, and I am thrilled to see a Bant legend that facilitates my Ephara deck but adds Green to it, which I have been considering for some time! I do wish he had been a Human Wizard rather than Druid though, but this opens up options for sure, which I will really need to consider. Very good card!

TheMagicWord

Post by TheMagicWord » 4 years ago

It looks like there is the same space for the total set number of cards. I am guessing they just edited that out because they arent ready to show that yet. Otherwise, I think the rarity indicator would be closer to the card number.
Check out EDH Magic Online Magic Videos
Check out my The MTG Word instagram for pictures of crazy edh boardstates

SyntheticDreamer

I read the article again and so apparently the only place foils of these will be available is in the collector boosters. Foil Arcane Signets are probably going to command a tremendous amount of value as a result since they won't be in regular (draft) boosters. Might have to preorder those early...

JaceBluesMaster

Post by JaceBluesMaster » 4 years ago

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
This is pretty much what I was expecting when I posted earlier that the Brawl decks will be an additional, frequent source of new cards for Commander players.

I feel really weird about grouping all these ancillary cards into the set they are released with. Threads like this should be tagged not only with [ELD] - considering how many product fall under that code, we'll need [ELD][Planeswalker Deck], [ELD][Brawl Deck], [ELD][Buy a Box] etc.

I actually just wish they'd recognize this with their rarity symbols as well i. e. a fifth color of rarity for cards that are just not in the rarity system of the other four. Can we have purple back? Or cyan?
SyntheticDreamer wrote:
4 years ago

All of the Brawl cards will be in Collector Boosters (but not Draft Boosters), so it is perfectly fine to include them in the overall list.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Arcane Signet is one way to make us all buy these silly decks. Auto-include in all non-green, non-colorless commanders for sure as a near-"strictly better" Guild signet/Fellwar Stone/Coldsteel Heart/Guild Talisman (the current crop of auto-includes).

Chulane, Teller of Tales is my kind of nonsense - turning every single creature into a super Coiling Oracle is amazing. Fun in a EtB/blink deck, a landfall deck, or a mix of the two. Five mana is a lot, as is three for an activated ability, but I'm interested in trying him out anyhow.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Chulane has a kinda weird flavor. Between the name and the druid type, looks like celtic/irish inspired.
But from the image, he looks like the standard merlinesque mage... a little bland too

Good power level, strong but not broken

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 4 years ago

I won't be surprised if these signets appear only in Brawl decks this year.
Need to sell them somehow, after all.

JaceBluesMaster

Raptorchan wrote:
4 years ago
I won't be surprised if these signets appear only in Brawl decks this year.
Need to sell them somehow, after all.
They will be in the Collector Boosters as well. I doubt these will migrate over to Commander Pre-Cons. I prefer it that way, since I do not want to wind up with hundreds of these cards.

SyntheticDreamer

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
Looks like that's exactly right. Aaron Forsythe clarified it on Twitter:

goblin_chef

Post by goblin_chef » 4 years ago

So, since the decks are built from the entire Standard pool, what are the chances they will contain any higher value reprints? I mean, Arcane Signet is nice and all, and I do need a few of them, but it would be nice for the decks to actually have some value packed in them, especially since there won't be any older Commander staples reprinted.

Chulane, the three Coiling Oracles in a trenchocoat looks interesting, but for some reason, I feel like I'll stick to Roon for the foreseeable future as far as Bant creature shenanigans go.
Currently running:
Show
Hide
Standard:
RDW
Dega Midrange

Commander:
Grenzo, Dungeon Warden (Rakdos Party!)
Multani, Maro-Sorcerer (Nobody expects the Mono Green Control)
Feather, the Redeemed

Oathbreaker:
Sorin, Grim Nemesis/Vampiric Tutor

JaceBluesMaster

goblin_chef wrote:
4 years ago
So, since the decks are built from the entire Standard pool, what are the chances they will contain any higher value reprints? I mean, Arcane Signet is nice and all, and I do need a few of them, but it would be nice for the decks to actually have some value packed in them, especially since there won't be any older Commander staples reprinted.

Chulane, the three Coiling Oracles in a trenchocoat looks interesting, but for some reason, I feel like I'll stick to Roon for the foreseeable future as far as Bant creature shenanigans go.
They have to be careful, since any Brawl cards will also be Standard Legal.

bb84Prez

Post by bb84Prez » 4 years ago

Gavin mentioned about other cool "reprints" in these decks. I remember him saying in an interview with TolarianCC at the beginning of the year that they have something special in mind for Oubliette, I would not be surprised that they put some desired cards in these decks to drive sales regardless if people play with the decks. Question is, is Oubliette going to hurt Standard...I don't think so?

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

Arcane Signet is one of those things that makes me question people who say that WOTC should run Commander. it's so on the nose, disadvantage-less and flavourless and now everyone's gonna play it in perpetuity. oh good. Sometimes I wish they'd be more hands-off with their casual designs.

JaceBluesMaster

folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
Arcane Signet is one of those things that makes me question people who say that WOTC should run Commander. it's so on the nose, disadvantage-less and flavourless and now everyone's gonna play it in perpetuity. oh good. Sometimes I wish they'd be more hands-off with their casual designs.
Yeah, Now every commander deck will be composed of a 97 cards, its Commander, Sol Ring and Arcane Signet.

Crimson

Post by Crimson » 4 years ago

Both cards are incredible. Arcane Signet is a staple. I hope WOTC included the card in C19 or else its price will rise fast.

SecretInfiltrator

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

JaceBluesMaster wrote:
4 years ago
All of the Brawl cards will be in Collector Boosters (but not Draft Boosters), so it is perfectly fine to include them in the overall list.
I agree. It's not that I don't accept them as part of some grand overall grouping, but I feel anything that doesn't come in what is now known as a Draft Booster could use an additional distinction.

Please, note how my position is "They should get an additional tag to [ELD]" and "They should be easibly distinguishable e. g. by a color (or other marking) not used for Draft Booster/main set cards." and not "These shouldn't have [ELD]-tags." or "These mustn't have the same set symbol (as in: shape)."

Considering the way we consume spoilers and cards the amount of ancillary cards is right now so high that knowing what cards you might actually encountar in a Draft or Sealed is getting hard - and also from a collector's/buyer's perspective being able to tell at a glance (i. e. without the need to pay close attention to the bottom border) would help someone to quickly grasp the idea that a card is or isn't available in a Draft Booster.

I know, buying Draft Boosters for individual cards is in general a folly, but imagine the additional futility and disappointment of some kid seeing a common ancillary card they assume they'll eventually pick up from buying lots of boosters (hey, it's just a common after all!) just to consider themselves tricked.

Consider also how often people come into a thread looking at an image and forget to check the card number and think an ancillary card is in the "main set". As ancillary cards get used for more and more product that is not considered a separate "supplemental product" this situation just will create more opportunities for confusion. Colored rarities were an effort at visibility (as opposed to mere transparency which the code at the bottom provides) that I just feel it's about time to extend to ancillary cards.

At the very least it seems like something worth looking into. - even if the way to realize this in the end will be different from my initial suggestion.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

JaceBluesMaster wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah, Now every commander deck will be composed of a 97 cards, its Commander, Sol Ring and Arcane Signet.
I don't get why you should play arcane signet in green decks, monocolor deck or heavy artifact-disruption meta.
It's strog, but it's no better than chromatic lantern or darksteel ingot

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 4 years ago

Feather approves of all the mana rocks she can get at two. I don't like the art, but I'll take it.

That legend, because it must do everything lol (not literally). By itself it seems fine, but I was already picturing the madness.... the madness... This creature will be excellent value, or a good combo guy. Intruder Alarm with Cryptolith Rite anyone?

EDIT: The more I think about the legend, the more I don't like it. It's too easy to abuse, gives too much without trying. ...At least it costs five?
Last edited by Candlemane 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”