[MID] Maro's Teaser

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Link

Updated with reveals
Before previews for Midnight Hunt officially begin, I thought it would be fun to do another of my Duelist-style teasers where I give tiny hints of things to come. Note that I'm only giving you partial information.

First up, here are some things you can expect:
  • three popular mechanics previously seen on Innistrad return - transform, investigate, flashback
  • a new drawback for creature tokens that lets us create them cheaper - decayed (can't block, sacrifice at end of combat when it attacks)
  • a white card that could potentially draw you a card each turn - Sigarda's Splendor
  • a popular Innistrad card gets reprinted - Delver of Secrets // Insectile Aberration
  • a curse that transforms into a creature - Curse of Leeches
  • two permanents that can double something every turn - Unnatural Growth
  • a mythic cycle with "you may pay [COST] any number of times" - the adversaries
  • a four mana blue aura with "You control enchanted creature." - Grafted Identity
  • A popular tournament card in multiple formats gets reprinted with its fifth piece of art. - Pithing Needle
  • a character from Innistrad once mentioned in a short story finally gets a card in an Innistrad set - Tovolar, Dire Overload?
Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:
  • "If your life total would be reduced to 0 or less," - Enduring Angel
  • "This spell costs 1 less to cast for each creature you attacked with this turn."
  • "As [CARDNAME] enters the battlefield, note your life total." - Sigarda's Splendor
  • "put a slime counter on up to one other target creature." - Sludge Monster
  • "Creature tokens you control lose all abilities and have base power and toughness 3/3." - Doll Stitcher
  • "Each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard has" - Lier, Disciple of the Drowned
  • "Instants and sorcery spells you cast cost X less to cast, where X is [CARDNAME]'s power."
  • "put that many +1/+1 counters on [CARDNAME], then create twice that many 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens" - Tainted Adversary
  • "At the beginning of your end step, if you have exactly 13 life,"
  • "You may cast any number of the copies without paying their mana costs." - Bloodthirsty Adversary
Finally, here are some creature type lines in the set:
  • Creature – Hippogriff Spirit
  • Creature – Human Soldier Werewolf - Brutal Cathar
  • Creature – Dragon Egg
  • Creature – Leech Horror
  • Creature – Fungus Horror
  • Creature – Plant Horror
  • Creature – Drake Horror
  • Creature – Demon Dog
  • Legendary Creature - Ooze
  • Legendary Creature – Vampire Noble
Tune in Thursday, Sept. 2 on Twitch.tv/magic at 9 a.m. PT as we kick off Innistrad: Midnight Hunt previews!
Last edited by Mookie 2 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Creature – Leech Horror
Creature – Fungus Horror
Creature – Plant Horror
Yes.
Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
a new drawback for creature tokens that lets us create them cheaper
I suspect one of two things:

1-The tokens' power and toughness can't change, lessening the impact of Anthem/Overrun effects.

2-There's a number limit, like say seven. No token is produced once you have that many.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Mookie

three popular mechanics previously seen on Innistrad return
I'll note that flashback has already been confirmed, and I would be extremely surprised if we didn't get transform cards in a werewolf set. Not sure what the third mechanic would be though - I'd love to see clues / investigate return, but it has some flavor requirements. It did return recently in MH2 though, so there are some parallels to the MH1 return of snow setting up for Kaldheim. Otherwise.... maybe undying? I feel like something from the second block should return though.
a popular Innistrad card gets reprinted
A popular tournament card in multiple formats gets reprinted with its fifth piece of art.
Delver of Secrets // Insectile Aberration and Snapcaster Mage come to mind, but this is a pretty broad category. I guess Delver turned into Docent of Perfection // Final Iteration though.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

like Hippogriff returning as an Innistrad-only creature type :3 that's good attention to detail
Emerge is my fave mechanic taking place in an Innistrad set but probably also is the least likely to come back :)) Maybe they've retemplated Soulbond?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

I've gotta second undying being the third returning mechanic.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sporegorger_Dragon

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
I would be extremely surprised if we didn't get transform cards in a werewolf set.
In the teaser list just a few bullet points below, one of the teasers is a curse that transforms into a creature.
Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Otherwise.... maybe undying? I feel like something from the second block should return though.
I was gonna go with delirium, but I have no idea if it was "popular" or not, Otherwise Clues and investigate would fill that requirement easily (something from the second block); I echo the sentiment on MH2 setting up Clues for Midnight Hunt.
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mookie

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
I was gonna go with delirium, but I have no idea if it was "popular" or not, Otherwise Clues and investigate would fill that requirement easily (something from the second block); I echo the sentiment on MH2 setting up Clues for Crimson Hunt.
Innistrad storm scale article

Undying was popular (as was investigate). Delirium is 'liked', which is the category below popular. Interesting, apparently soulbond was very popular, which is... not a thing I would have guessed.

Sporegorger_Dragon

2 years ago
1-The tokens' power and toughness can't change, lessening the impact of Anthem/Overrun effects.
Nevermind, I'm an idiot.
Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
"Creature tokens you control lose all abilities and have base power and toughness 3/3."

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 2 years ago

the four Horrors make me think they will at least acknowledge Emrakul living in the Moon.

i feel like the token drawback will be some form of impermanence, like "exile it after it engages in combat"

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

I think it'd be interesting if this thread was updated with cards as they are spoiled (Like, on the line that refers to a card, link to it.)

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 2 years ago

JovialJovian wrote:
2 years ago
the four Horrors make me think they will at least acknowledge Emrakul living in the Moon.

i feel like the token drawback will be some form of impermanence, like "exile it after it engages in combat"
Want to remind

You just described Vrondiss, Rage of Ancients tokens

dyd
Randomancer

Post by dyd » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Maybe creating them phased out?
That would be harsher than just entering tapped, since they wouldn't trigger ETB effects and couldn't be sacrificed or otherwise used/counted/... till your next turn.

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
a white card that could potentially draw you a card each turn
Finish the sentence, man! "... And your opponent draws 2."

Escalate would be cool to see again. They could drop the trifecta of a mythic cycle all with Flashback, Escalate, and "you may pay [cost] any number of times" for maximum escalation powers. Modal things are super popular.

Sporegorger_Dragon

dyd wrote:
2 years ago
Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Maybe creating them phased out?
That would be harsher than just entering tapped, since they wouldn't trigger ETB effects and couldn't be sacrificed or otherwise used/counted/... till your next turn.
I like this idea! It's absolutely brilliant, because the tokens never enter the battlefield at all, it can help avoid infinite loops, allowing token-production to trigger off other token-production, but never itself.

I'm going to steal this. I'm going to "borrow" this.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

Well, having just seen the launch stream I can safely say that the three returning mechanics are Transform, Investigate, and Flashback. They've fiddled a little bit with Transform, it is now keyworded on the werewolves with Daybound/Nightbound. It works the same, but saves on space. There are also cards that transform from the graveyard with an activated ability.

Also, new dual land cycle, and it looks awesome.

Edit: Looking through the "booster fun" article, there is something interesting. We are getting two DFC cards per draft booster. One common and one uncommon/rare/mythic. But we only get one rare/mythic per booster. So if the second DFC is rare or mythic, the normal rare slot will contain an uncommon. But in one third of the draft boosters, one of the commons have been replaced with a foil that can be of any rarity. The rarity breakdown is the normal one: 1 rare/mythic, 3 uncommon, 10 common, one basic land. I repeat, in one third of the boosters one of the commons is replaced with a foil that can be of any rarity.

Edit 2: Set Boosters have between 1 and 4 rares, and up to 6 DFC's (overlapping with the rares), and one guaranteed foil (which can be any rarity and can be a DFC.). Additionally 1 in 4 set boosters has a card from "THE LIST".
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Well, having just seen the launch stream I can safely say that the three returning mechanics are Transform, Investigate, and Flashback. They've fiddled a little bit with Transform, it is now keyworded on the werewolves with Daybound/Nightbound. It works the same, but saves on space. There are also cards that transform from the graveyard with an activated ability.
Not quite the same; Daybound/Nightbound differs in three key aspects:

1-The biggest change is that Day/Night only check if the turn player cast or didn't cast spells. So if the turn player really wants nighttime to fall, other players can't interfere (by casting their own spells).

2-Permanents with nightbound enter the battlefield already transformed if it's night; the new Arlin will enter werewolf side up if it's already nighttime.

3-Night and day effect all permanents with daybound/nightbound, regardless of controller. So if you play Werewolves and decide not to cast any spells to make it nighttime, watch out because your opponent's Werewolves are going to transform too.

This still allows you to mess with Werewolves, but only by casting spells on your own turn.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

2 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Not quite the same; Daybound/Nightbound differs in three key aspects:

1-The biggest change is that Day/Night only check if the turn player cast or didn't cast spells. So if the turn player really wants nighttime to fall, other players can't interfere (by casting their own spells).

2-Permanents with nightbound enter the battlefield already transformed if it's night; the new Arlin will enter werewolf side up if it's already nighttime.

3-Night and day effect all permanents with daybound/nightbound, regardless of controller. So if you play Werewolves and decide not to cast any spells to make it nighttime, watch out because your opponent's Werewolves are going to transform too.

This still allows you to mess with Werewolves, but only by casting spells on your own turn.
I also learned that some nontransforming cards may care about whether it is day or night. Which is interesting.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 2 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
2 years ago
JovialJovian wrote:
2 years ago

Want to remind

You just described Vrondiss, Rage of Ancients tokens
I claim victory with the reveal of Jadar, Ghoulcaller of Nephalia

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Pithing Needle would be the important tournament card with new art.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”