8/26 Banned List Updates - Standard, Modern, and Vintage changes.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

Apologies in advance if this isn't where this should go. I know on sally we would drop these announcements in the rumor mill.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2019-08-26

Standard:

Rampaging Ferocidon is unbanned.

Modern:

Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis banned.
Faithless Looting is banned.
Stoneforge Mystic is unbanned.

Vintage:

Karn, the Great Creatoris restricted.
Mystic Forge is restricted.
Mental Misstep is restricted.
Golgari Grave-Troll is restricted.
Fastbond is unrestricted.
Last edited by ISBPathfinder 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

shukkets
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by shukkets » 4 years ago

Hogaak banned? Yay!
Faithless Looting banned? Boo!
Stoneforge Mystic unbanned? Yay!
Rampaging Ferocidon unbanned? Meh? Seriously, its rotating out in a little over a month. Who is this for?

rujasu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by rujasu » 4 years ago

I don't know if the Stoneforge Mystic unban is good for meta balance or not, but if nothing else it's exciting. It's an exciting card that people want to play with. I'm all for giving it a shot. The bans are both correct, if a little overdue.

Rampaging Ferocidon - technically correct, but yeah, the time to do this was months ago. I get why they didn't do it then and why they did it now, but it's a little pointless to do it when there is one month and zero major events left in the format.

No idea about the Vintage stuff. Pleased with the announcement overall. Makes me think about getting back into Modern.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

rujasu wrote:
4 years ago
I don't know if the Stoneforge Mystic unban is good for meta balance or not, but if nothing else it's exciting. It's an exciting card that people want to play with. I'm all for giving it a shot. The bans are both correct, if a little overdue.

Rampaging Ferocidon - technically correct, but yeah, the time to do this was months ago. I get why they didn't do it then and why they did it now, but it's a little pointless to do it when there is one month and zero major events left in the format.

No idea about the Vintage stuff. Pleased with the announcement overall. Makes me think about getting back into Modern.
Well, right before rotation is usually REALLY slow for standard so its possible that it might stir people to play a little more standard than they otherwise would have at this time of year so its probably nothing but upside for wizards to allow it back in briefly. I do agree though that it probably should have been unbanned going into the M2020 set release but whatever.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

Perhaps they found a way to make Rampaging Ferocidon work in Arena, that's why the unban?
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

rujasu

vandertroll wrote:
4 years ago
Perhaps they found a way to make Rampaging Ferocidon work in Arena, that's why the unban?
Was there ever an issue with it not "working in Arena"? It was banned due to power level, not any technical issues with Arena. It's also still banned in the best-of-one format, for what it's worth.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

vandertroll wrote:
4 years ago
Given that Historic is coming out soon and it likely wasn't an issue for historic its likely they had to code to make it work on arena. I wasn't aware that there was an issue with its coding on arena but I wasn't playing there until well after its ban.

Max Rebo
Husband of Serra

Post by Max Rebo » 4 years ago

Wow..........Faithless Looting........that is BIG!

Algernone25
Salvation Migrant

Post by Algernone25 » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
vandertroll wrote:
4 years ago
Given that Historic is coming out soon and it likely wasn't an issue for historic its likely they had to code to make it work on arena. I wasn't aware that there was an issue with its coding on arena but I wasn't playing there until well after its ban.
Ferocidons never had a problem with not working in Arena, it just was banned in standard at the start of Arena's life, so it was made uncraftable. You could still open it in IXN limited events, and it worked exactly how it was supposed to work during those events.
And, I should also note, it's STILL not legal in Best of 1 on Arena, similar to Nexus of Fate. Not sure if that was intentional or not.

As far as the bans go, Looting didn't surprise me, Hogaak did (yes it was absolutely the problem card but wizards has a history of dancing around banning cards that are the face of a booster set) so I was expecting Altar of Dementia to get the hit. It was probably correct, even though I'm sad that it makes my favorite deck (Mardu Pyromancer) unplayable.
Top 16 - 2012 Indiana State Championships
Currently Playing:
GBUStandard - Sultai Dreadhorde MidrangeUBG
RBWModern - Mardu PyromancerWBR
RLegacy - Good Old Fashioned BurnR

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Stoneforge Mystic might get a reprint in Throne of Eldraine?

That said, sigh, EDH players who like equipments will take a hit.

rujasu

Algernone25 wrote:
4 years ago
Ferocidons never had a problem with not working in Arena, it just was banned in standard at the start of Arena's life, so it was made uncraftable. You could still open it in IXN limited events, and it worked exactly how it was supposed to work during those events.
And, I should also note, it's STILL not legal in Best of 1 on Arena, similar to Nexus of Fate. Not sure if that was intentional or not.
Intentional. The announcement mentions that they didn't unban it in Bo1 because mono-red is still performing well in Bo1.

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

Mater horizons was barely just released and something is already banned from it

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

rujasu wrote:
4 years ago
vandertroll wrote:
4 years ago
Was there ever an issue with it not "working in Arena"? It was banned due to power level, not any technical issues with Arena. It's also still banned in the best-of-one format, for what it's worth.
Oh, I had the impression, or read somewhere online, that there might be problems with a way to generate infinite copies when interacting with another Ixalan card. My bad!
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

Jace wrote:
4 years ago
Mater horizons was barely just released and something is already banned from it
I'd rather they push the envelope and occasionally print broken things than only print things that are guaranteed safe.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

I don't disagree. I like the higher power level cards as a Commander player. It is amusing though

SecretInfiltrator

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago

I keep reading this with not a single Kor revealed for Eldraine AFAIK.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago

I keep reading this with not a single Kor revealed for Eldraine AFAIK.
I should clarify, a reprint with similar equipment function but native to the plane. A merfolk maybe.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

I am fine with printing powerful things, but I also believe that you should do some level of testing of new cards. Hogak is a little irritating from the standpoint that essentially at release people were ready to test the hell out of him. It was a problem essentially within the first week of getting our hands on cards and created cascading bans.

I am fine with pushing the envelope but I hope that it is a little less obvious or takes longer to solve and break the game with new cards. When a new card comes out and becomes the #1 deck within the first week or two not because its new but because nothing is beating it..... maybe there is reason to be concerned.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I really like this unban but I hope we get a reprint soon

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

These changes all sound pretty good. I don't actively play most constructed formats, but as a viewer, it does feel as if games of Modern have become less interesting. In the past several years, the format has sped up significantly, mostly due to increasingly fast graveyard decks. First Dredge, then Hollow One, then Phoenix, and now Hogaak. This has also been mirrored by the rise of faster combo decks, like KCI and Neoform. As a result, I think it is a healthy move to try to slow down the format and go back to things ending on turn 4.

Ideologically, I'm pretty happy with the Stoneforge Mystic unban - equipment sees approximately zero play in Modern, and there aren't many competitive white decks either. I do understand why people may have concerns though - SFM → Batterskull can be oppressive for fairer small creature decks, while Swords of X & Y providing protection can also be miserable. Still, artifact removal is a thing that exists, and reducing the amount of graveyard hate necessary in sideboard slots opens more slots for artifact hate.

More practically, while the unban will sharply raise the price of SFM, it will also significantly increase the chance of a reprint, which is something I hope for.

In other formats...

Rampaging Ferocidon unban in Standard makes perfect sense - monored hasn't been the terror of the format for a while, so no need for it to stay banned.

I don't pay much attention to Vintage, so can't comment on that. Fastbond being unrestricted is interesting, at least. Will probably just enable storm decks filled with draw-7s, but I can hope for a spicy Courser of Kruphix deck.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I hope that SFM is similar to JTMS in that it gets a reprint soon but modern should be a lot slower and more interesting now. Probably the most interesting part will be the optimal equipment package since we don't have Jitte in the format

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago

There would have to be kor on throne of eldraine to make that possible

But like you said we might get a similar and weaker version in throne of eldraine possibly

Serpent_Steve
King of the Elementals!
Answers: 1

Post by Serpent_Steve » 4 years ago

There was that art released earlier this year of a human like figure (couldn't remember is it looked too much like a Kor or not) surrounded by many weapons as if it had crafted them.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 4 years ago

4 fastbond?! Whoa... it's a whole new world, ladies and gentlemen.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”