[MH2] Diamond Lion; Brainstone

Sniffnoy
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sniffnoy » 2 years ago

These were shown off on Weekly MTG, apparently, so I'm just going to link to the Reddit threads for them.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Should have been called "Diamond-Eye Lion" clearly.

Anyway the effects for these were obvious based on the names lol.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 2 years ago

these two are so nice. A reference to lion's eye diamond and brainstorm.

power level feels just right for modern.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Diamond Lion is interesting. For my own purposes, a lack of synergy with Trinket Mage and Salvaging Station makes it a miss compared to Lion's Eye Diamond. Elsewhere though... it did take some time for LED to be broken, but it's an extremely powerful effect, and the support certainly exists in Modern. Lurrus of the Dream-Den and Echo of Eons are probably the two most obvious synergies, but even just flashing back an Unburial Rites on turn 3 has some implications. Vulnerability to creature removal is unfortunate, but you can also hit it off Collected Company.... definitely an interesting card.

....I can't think of many obvious synergies for Brainstone though - three mana for a Brainstorm is probably too steep to see play.

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 2 years ago

Brainstone seems interesting with Lurrus but other than that it seems like it's a lot. Diamond Lion seems like it could be just busted in the right decks but the fact it has summoning sickness makes it a bit balanced

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 2 years ago

does "activate only as an instant" mean.. I can use it's ability specifically only in times where sorceries cannot be cast?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
does "activate only as an instant" mean.. I can use it's ability specifically only in times where sorceries cannot be cast?
It's the new wording for 'activate only any time you could cast an instant'. In other words, pretty much any time you have priority, unless you're in the middle of casting a spell. This is an exception to the usual rule that you can activate mana abilities during the casting of a spell, since otherwise you could use it to cast spells from hand.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”