[news] Universes Beyond - Warhammer 40k and Lord of the Rings expansions

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
WotC created the Vampire: The Masquerade CCG, and Published and partly developed the Pokemon CCG for a long time. They also created and developed the first Star Wars TCG. They know what they are doing.
If anything, UB makes even more sense and a far better bet. Why re-invent the wheel?
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
WotC created the Vampire: The Masquerade CCG, and Published and partly developed the Pokemon CCG for a long time. They also created and developed the first Star Wars TCG. They know what they are doing.
If anything, UB makes even more sense and a far better bet. Why re-invent the wheel?
Precisely. Only one of the two announced ones I am interested in at the moment is the LotR, but I can honestly say I never expected the other one they announced. Mostly due to GW's well known dislike of WotC.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

RadiantSophia
Pronoun: she / her

Post by RadiantSophia » 3 years ago

Hello there. I've been lurking here since the dawn of time (from Salvation), reading the card of the day, but this topic made me register, and throw my 2 pennies in. I have to start by saying that I'm not a big LotR fan (not enough to buy a magic expansion based on it anyway), and I know next to nothing about Warhammer 40k. So these things aren't really "for me". But, I do see the value in reaching out to other fandoms and introducing other nerds people to the joys of MtG.

Now, if someone is taking requests for crossovers, "Big Trouble in Little China". If that is too.... not traditional fantasy-esqe (and I will never stop arguing that it isn't fantasy), then how about "The Princess Brice"?

End Transmission.

dangerousdice

Post by dangerousdice » 3 years ago

welcome @RadiantSophia! I'm glad you've joined us!

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

RadiantSophia wrote:
3 years ago
Hello there. I've been lurking here since the dawn of time (from Salvation), reading the card of the day, but this topic made me register, and throw my 2 pennies in. I have to start by saying that I'm not a big LotR fan (not enough to buy a magic expansion based on it anyway), and I know next to nothing about Warhammer 40k. So these things aren't really "for me". But, I do see the value in reaching out to other fandoms and introducing other nerds people to the joys of MtG.

Now, if someone is taking requests for crossovers, "Big Trouble in Little China". If that is too.... not traditional fantasy-esqe (and I will never stop arguing that it isn't fantasy), then how about "The Princess Brice"?

End Transmission.
I could see both. Big Trouble in Little China is an example of the Urban Fantasy genre mixed with Wuxia, and would be pretty cool. (Fun fact, Jack Burton is not the main character in the movie, despite it being shown from his point of view. His best friend Wang Chi is the main character. Jack Burton is the fish out of water sidekick. And it makes the whole thing hilarious.)

Princess Bride would also work well, if for nothing else, I'd love to see ROUS in the game. And MaRo *loves* the Princess Bride.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

dangerousdice

Post by dangerousdice » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
RadiantSophia wrote:
3 years ago

End Transmission.
I could see both. Big Trouble in Little China is an example of the Urban Fantasy genre mixed with Wuxia, and would be pretty cool. (Fun fact, Jack Burton is not the main character in the movie, despite it being shown from his point of view. His best friend Wang Chi is the main character. Jack Burton is the fish out of water sidekick. And it makes the whole thing hilarious.)

Princess Bride would also work well, if for nothing else, I'd love to see ROUS in the game. And MaRo *loves* the Princess Bride.
I would love the princess bride as a new UB!

The N82O Molecule
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The N82O Molecule » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
The N82O Molecule wrote:
3 years ago
as someone who has followed all the card attempts by wizards to branch out of magic. . .kaijudo. . .transformers etc this is the gross next logical step, like someone walked into the office and said. . .we been looking at this all wrong. paint the world with mtg instead of trying to fit in other gaps or something like that.
forgive me I don't mean to misspeak.

I was just trying to generate a frame of reference that recently they have been trying to get more out of the "card market" wherein this product sorta seeks money from alternate "markets" that don't, at first glance, want a "card market"

like, well like imagine you loved legos, or the manga Bleach, and all of a sudden there's a card game for it, except its magic, the most known of card games (sorry if there are other actually more popular im just trying to frame, not be right).

well that seems intuitive from a magic perspective though said out loud, imo, that its still the same

anyway again my apologies

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The N82O Molecule wrote:
3 years ago
forgive me I don't mean to misspeak.

I was just trying to generate a frame of reference that recently they have been trying to get more out of the "card market" wherein this product sorta seeks money from alternate "markets" that don't, at first glance, want a "card market"

like, well like imagine you loved legos, or the manga Bleach, and all of a sudden there's a card game for it, except its magic, the most known of card games (sorry if there are other actually more popular im just trying to frame, not be right).

well that seems intuitive from a magic perspective though said out loud, imo, that its still the same

anyway again my apologies
No need to apologize, at all.

But to be fair, if there came a Lego UB product, I'd buy it if the mechanics were good. I'd probably only get to play with cards from it during April, but that's because that's the "silverborder and wacky" month for my commander playgroup. :)

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Even sapient Bears if we get the Beornings.
this, I'm interested to see. :grin:

don't know anything about LotR, but I like bears. So having more of them would be nice.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 3 years ago

a good practice would be to look at alpha say, and just change the names to something in the world you want. if there's enough to fill every card, well then you got it, and im sure wizards will print a version that will be underwhelming.

lotr has the numbers no doubt, basically writes itself, but like 2 sets or like a large/small/small? idk if it has THAT much.

Warhammer fills this roll in a different way, where in LotR would be a legendary set Warhammer is your tribal. idk anything about Warhammer but if you got general, corporal, commander, sergeant, captain, etc then add tank to the front of that and so on, the names are easy.

so like Scooby do? oof idk, only so many legendary characters before you start getting the character from season 2 episode 4 that no one knows. so Scooby do will most likely be a secret lair if ever imo. but like GIJoe you could make a set, just like Warhammer you have the "soldiers" then you got snake eyes and gestro. gijoe tribal sounds fun but the second it loses to cobra the flavor is gone. comic universes then sound like a no brainer. so you cast Tony stark, and then the iron man parts right? or do you cast him and then the 50 versions of him printed in the suit? bruce banner, he green, with red activation or is everything just broccoli for the Hulk? lol

and so on

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The N82O Molecule wrote:
3 years ago
gijoe tribal sounds fun but the second it loses to cobra the flavor is gone.
You should read the G.I. Joe comics, both the run that started in the 80's, as well as the more recent ones. Cobra won often, and G.I. Joe's wins were often hard fought with heavy losses. And that is before the snake people of Cobra-La got involved. By the end of the 80's run, there was a full on four-way war between the New Cobra Commander, The Cobra Emperor, Destro, and G.I. Joe.
And that is not even accounting for the 80's series that ended with a miniseries that basically killed off half the characters.
And the IDW comics were even rougher, with Cobra winning more often than G.I. Joe (And then they had a crossover with Transformers that has to be read to be believed. All I have to say is that a very obscure franchise from the 80's got involved, and the real villain is probably the most terrifying creature Hasbro has ever created: Unicron, the Chaos-Bringer, a god that is older than the multiverse, whose sole goal is to literally eat EVERYTHING. And the really scary part? He can't be permanently defeated, and has already eaten 43% of the multiverse. Sweet dreams.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”