[ZNR] Full Spoiler

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 3 years ago

That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JovialJovian » 3 years ago

Overall, quite a good looking set. I'm loving the flavor of the party mechanic, not only for itself, but how it meshes with the existing Wizard, Warrior, Rogue, and Cleric tribes. Clerics I'm especially happy for, since they're one of my favorite tribes, but haven't gotten deliberate support since Lorwyn.

Standout from the list: Tuktuk Rubblefort! Move over Fervor, you're a common now!

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 3 years ago

So sad from the lack of allies here. Even got a little hope when Tazri mentions in her text but damn, the last playable ally we ever got was a savannah lion

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 3 years ago

Zendikar Rising doesn't really have much to offer as far as power level goes which is a good thing If you play Standard though for the most part it's a bare bones product with a brand new keyword mechanic so narrow it practically makes the cards unplayable outside of competitive environments. I feel as though this set would've been more attractive If the Fetchland reprints were more accessible in some way without being Standard legal as it felt like they were shoe-horned into Zendikar Rising at the last minute when they weren't able to distribute the Fetchland reprints in the Secret Lair drop series due to product delays with the pandemic. There hasn't been a single LGS that has received this product regardless If they have WPN status or not.

The fact of the matter is that there's simply too many Paper Magic products being shoved down our throats. Wizards of the Coast held back on Jumpstart because of it. Am I supposed to believe that a 30 year old company that's been printing cardboard rectangles can't even deliver a simple booster box to the market for months on end? Every two weeks there's always a new release. The Secondary Market hasn't even had time to absorb Double Masters fully and now we have Zendikar Rising. Am I supposed to rationally believe that they've sold everything they printed while there's still plenty of sellers ready to absorb whatever they dish out?

What If they hit a pay wall and are holding back product to keep the hype and give the market time to clear old products? It's not like Local Game Stores still have sealed boxes of Dragon's Maze that they can't even sell and that came out like in what 2013? Current Standard booster boxes including their Collector's Edition variants are at a discount and aren't moving! These products are selling for $80 without MSRP and they're still not moving! Local Game Stores would make more of a profit If Wizards of the Coast brought back MSRP though we know it's hurting their bottom line more than themselves since they're a much bigger company. It's become less about too big to fail when they're too big to care.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 3 years ago

This is the first set in a while, that has not a lot of cool must get rares. And no allies, sorry party, as much as i like to, ally was a key component to zendikar. Now i realize its half the love. I mean i want all the allies not 3 others. I mean think, nope parties full, we inclusive. Lol

No serious man lands, the rare land cycle is a standard land on the back of a card, why cant i have both on the front again?

Ok now mill and milling, now this im interested in and by the looks of new crab there be (finally) a mill deck that has consistency and works in a fun way.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

There are some cool Mythics, but overall I get the feeling outside of some MDFC opening up some new decks due to their uniqueness, this is more of a limited set than a constructed set. Saying that I do expect it to have a fun limited environment.

Ginuqu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

is it okay to bump this? I only recently read the whole spoiler after deciding I wouldn't be buying any more set boosters for now.

I think the red in ZNR is seriously exciting. Cleansing Wildfire is such a good tool and Molten Blast is another reasonable one, Kazuul's Fury // Kazuul's Cliffs, Song-Mad Treachery // Song-Mad Ruins and Valakut Awakening // Valakut Stoneforge are such sexy effects to be on modal cards, Fling particularly being a thing I'd love to have in some of my decks while being too stubborn to cut anything for the privilege. Akoum Hellhound and Fireblade Charger are lovely build-around-me one drops, the common wizards like Ardent Electromancer and Fissure Wizard do such fun things while staying reasonably efficient, Nahiri's Lithoforming is such an exciting dice roll which seems to trigger almost every cool card ever printed, Grotag Night-Runner has such promise in budget gobbos, Leyline Tyrant is so castable and so monomanic, Magmatic Channeler is immediately my favourite looter aside from Bag of Holding, Roiling Vortex is such a weird niche card but I love Spectacle too much not to stare at it, Shatterskull Charger tickles me as an old fan of thematically-akin Viashinos from the past, Tuktuk Rubblefort plugs easily into my sort of deck full of activated ability creatures... I think I love just about every red card in the whole set. Red (especially when paired with white) is often a boring card dumping ground in recent times but I think this reinvigorates it a great deal. I'm not a competitive player and not even a preferrer-of-good cards but I know an interesting set of cards when I see one!

They're really leaning into the exile-yr-top-card bit and hardly any of these cards actually says Draw a card, which makes it hard to operate my Irencrag Pyromancer, a fave recent card of mine, but that's a small nitpick.

and that's not to mention Moraug, Fury of Akoum which is probably too powerful. Didgeridoo's price is never coming down, huh.
sorta mad at magic right now

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”