Sniffnoy
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sniffnoy » 3 years ago

Previewed here:

Direct imgur link:

Candlemane
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Candlemane » 3 years ago

I just saw this and said out loud laughing "this set is frickin' broken".

Is it really broken? ... Maybe. Bet Oboro just made UR aggro a thing.

Honestly I can't decide if I want to build Omn4th or Radha Heart of Keld with all the new goodies.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

He's pretty funny, it's not that hard to stack combat phases, particularly not in commander. All you need is a way to get a few extra lands onto the battlefield to trigger his landfall, and if a few of the lands you have out are fetches, he gets pretty insane, and that is not that hard to do. Then it's basically, attack, attack, attack, until your opponent has nothing left and you kill them. Heck, you'll probably have a few attack phases over by that time. Manage to make your creatures indestructible that turn, and you've basically won.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Cardz5000

Post by Cardz5000 » 3 years ago

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

Cardz5000 wrote:
3 years ago
Sword of the Animist says hi.
Doesn't work, due to the pesky "if it's during your main phase" wording.

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 3 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Cardz5000 wrote:
3 years ago
That would be so broken otherwise. I now have minimum X attack phases, were X is the number of lands in my deck. The pain...

What would work though is Fertilid, Ashaya and Evolution Sage from War. Then all you need is a free face and to keep the Minotaur alive. Well, for EDH anyway. How this will work out somewhere else I'm unsure, but I certainly hope I get one in my box.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

Wallycaine

Candlemane wrote:
3 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Cardz5000 wrote:
3 years ago
That would be so broken otherwise. I now have minimum X attack phases, were X is the number of lands in my deck. The pain...

What would work though is Fertilid, Ashaya and Evolution Sage from War. Then all you need is a free face and to keep the Minotaur alive. Well, for EDH anyway. How this will work out somewhere else I'm unsure, but I certainly hope I get one in my box.
Unfortunately, that won't go fully "infinite" either, since the ability doesn't untap you until you hit the combat phase, which is again past the point where it'll trigger again. You can definitely get a lot of extra combats that way, by waiting until your second main phase to fetch lands, but not one for each in your deck.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Candlemane wrote:
3 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago

Unfortunately, that won't go fully "infinite" either, since the ability doesn't untap you until you hit the combat phase, which is again past the point where it'll trigger again. You can definitely get a lot of extra combats that way, by waiting until your second main phase to fetch lands, but not one for each in your deck.
It doesn't need to go infinite, it just needs to go on for long enough that you win the game.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Wallycaine

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Candlemane wrote:
3 years ago

It doesn't need to go infinite, it just needs to go on for long enough that you win the game.
Sure, hence why "infinite" was in quotes to start with. But the point is that you can't use Moraug's untap to pay for Fertilid's activation, because he doesn't untap your creatures until you've already entered combat, and hence aren't in the Main Phase anymore for Moraug's Landfall to trigger.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Sure, hence why "infinite" was in quotes to start with. But the point is that you can't use Moraug's untap to pay for Fertilid's activation, because he doesn't untap your creatures until you've already entered combat, and hence aren't in the Main Phase anymore for Moraug's Landfall to trigger.
True, but since Fertilid uses a mana cost, and neither taps nor uses a trigger to search for the land, you just use it in your mainphase. Same with fetchlands, fetch spells, etc. If you dump say six to ten lands in one turn, which is quite possible, and manage to make your creatures indestructible, your opponents are likely going to lose the game.

Wallycaine

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago

True, but since Fertilid uses a mana cost, and neither taps nor uses a trigger to search for the land, you just use it in your mainphase. Same with fetchlands, fetch spells, etc. If you dump say six to ten lands in one turn, which is quite possible, and manage to make your creatures indestructible, your opponents are likely going to lose the game.
...Right, but if you check the post I was responding to, they were using Ashaya, Soul of the Wild to turn their creatures into forests, presumably to pay for Fertilid's mana cost repeatedly using the Untap from Moraug. Hence why I was saying it did not work that way.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

I'd be surprised if this doesn't see a fair bit of play. It seems really good

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”