[ZNR] Maro's Teaser/Hints

Sniffnoy
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sniffnoy » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Sniffnoy wrote:
3 years ago
Here's an idea: What if the twobrids are for things associated with the Eldrazi, so the missing one is white because there were basically no white Eldrazi?
There are no Eldrazi in Zen Rising. We know this, we were told this.
Sure, but they seemed to suggest there were things *associated* with the Eldrazi. Since twobrid is a sort of colorlessness, it makes sense to me that they would go together.

On the other hand, I would imagine that there would only be one or two Eldrazi-associated cards, not four. So that's troublesome.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 3 years ago

I have repeatedly put forward the idea that something colorless is going on in Zendikar Rising due to the conveniently timed change in policy regarding colorless nonartifact spells. It might be an after-effect of the Eldrazi presence or just something taking their mechanical spot in the renewed ecoysystem. I could imagine Wastes still being a clear presence andmaybe some worldbuilding around lands that resist being reclaimed into the colorful state of a healed Zendikar. The plane has some scars.

Candlemane
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Candlemane » 3 years ago

Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
Posted on Blogatog.
Before previews for Zendikar Rising officially begin, I thought it would be fun to do another of my Duelist-style teasers where I give tiny hints of things to come. Note that I'm only giving you partial information.

First up, here are some things you can expect:

• A white creature that can make an opponent lose the game simply by attacking them no matter how much life they have
<> I think this is definitely and ability to fulfill that has to be met first, so a lot of hoops.
• A multicolor creature that lets you repeatedly reanimate permanents out of your opponent's graveyard for no mana
<> Like another said, sounds like Wrexial, but this doesn't sound terribly new or exciting to me unless it's in unusual colors, but not outside of the identity of the colors.
• Three creatures with five creature types
<> This one is going to be limited by text unless it references them in the larger text box. If something is in play, the creature might 'evolve' into adding a type, so if a forest comes into play, it's now a Fish Elf instead just a Fish. Insert leyline something here.
• An artifact granting +2/+2 to a subset of creatures that first appeared in Alpha
<> This is so open ended. Plus, does it mean what they may have been errata'd to or what they actually were?
• X being used for a variable it's never been used for before
<> The only thing I can think of is 'X cards in exile'. There are plenty of 'equal to the number', but X ties it into a cost.
• a 6/6 artifact creature that costs 3 and a 7/5 artifact creature that can cost 3
<> First on probably has a drawback or another cost to cast or use. Second one sounds like it just has a price reduction, maybe based on lands into play this turn or instants or something.
• The return of four mana symbols that have each only ever been used on two cards before
<> This is hard to guess, but I think the only thing that ever had 20 in a mana cost is Spawnsire of Ulamog. I'm thinking it must be numerical costs instead of symbols.
• Lands that come with a choice you've never had before
<> If the one rumor one I saw is to be believed, it should be very interesting. It might also be broken. (Not saying more here).
• Targeted enchantment removal in black
<> I don't know how I feel about this. If it is more along the lines of "~ 3 or less" than I'm fine (not specifically that. Example).
• A red/white creature with a line of rules text that starts with "Whenever" and ends with "draw a card"
<> Based on Nahiri, it will be equpiment. Also, I hope it's a knight rather than a soldier or warrior, but my bet is on warrior as a creature type.
• A card with three different activated abilities that all copy something
<> No ideas here. I think the least likely are Planeswalkers and Enchantments.
Here are snippets of rules text, you'll see:

... snip
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

I had a dream that the Mouse is going to be a jerboa.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Angel Wizard and Demon Cleric - there are two really-humanlike iconic creature types but before this they just have not gotten any class types; there are more Dragon Wizards than there are Angels or Demons with any job. Tiana, Ship's Caretaker exists but she's it, except for a couple of Allies. It's not that significant but it's an interesting change in policy.

I will give a no-prize to whomever can tell me another Angel with a class creature type other than Ally that already exists though.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
I will give a no-prize to whomever can tell me another Angel with a class creature type other than Ally that already exists though.
My exhaustive search points to 'none'. There are a bunch of Angel Spirits, a few Angel Horrors, one Angel Illusion, and one Eldrazi Angel, but that's it. Angels don't really mix types that often. (I'm ignoring the one Cyborg Angel)

Demons mix more often. Ignoring the various Cat-, Crocodile-, Zombie-, and Spirit-Demons, we also have Demon Minions, a Demon Ninjas, and an Elder Demon.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@Mookie: This is a sneaky one. Warrior Angel! The Grand Creature Type Update policy of making sure that classes mentioned in names were reflected in the typeline - the same policy that filled P3K with Human Soldier Warriors - got her.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
I had a dream that the Mouse is going to be a jerboa.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Angel Wizard and Demon Cleric - there are two really-humanlike iconic creature types but before this they just have not gotten any class types; there are more Dragon Wizards than there are Angels or Demons with any job. Tiana, Ship's Caretaker exists but she's it, except for a couple of Allies. It's not that significant but it's an interesting change in policy.

I should tell you a theory on the demon cleric

Let's just say... even though it may not happen let's just say you might need to get edgewalker While it's cheap unless reprinted

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 3 years ago

• A white creature that can make an opponent lose the game simply by attacking them no matter how much life they have
"When ~ and at nine or more other creatures you control are attacking" or a creature that has p/t equal to an opponent's life total.
• A multicolor creature that lets you repeatedly reanimate permanents out of your opponent's graveyard for no mana
"At the beginning of your upkeep, put a land card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control."
• Three creatures with five creature types
Like in total?

I speculate that the Ally type gets replaced with the concept of an "adventurer" like the creature types seen on Dungeon Master. We get five classes for normal tribal, but also a mechanic that wants you to "assemble a party" and cover as many of them as possible. There will be three cards that just represent an assembled party.

Wait! Easier: Four adventurer classes plus a race: Human Cleric Rogue Warrior Wizard, Kor Cleric Rogue Warrior Wizard, Goblin Cleric Rogue Warrior Wizard. I want to see that last one. : )

So... batch word "adventurer. (Clerics, Rogues, Warriors and Wizards are adventurers.)", maybe?
• An artifact granting +2/+2 to a subset of creatures that first appeared in Alpha
Fun fact: Living Lands is a card that appeared in Alpha.

If it weren't for that I'd have put colorless creatures as most likely.
• X being used for a variable it's never been used for before
That's quite unspecific.
• a 6/6 artifact creature that costs 3 and a 7/5 artifact creature that can cost 3
Could be anything, but it's interesting that the second one is an artifact creature, because a creature just costing generic mana would probably advertised as "that can cost 0". Maybe a colored artifact creature.

But let's also remember that Zendikar is the plane that introduced colorless mana and it might have outlasted Kozilek themself. What would the expected stats be for a vanilla creature costing {C}{C}{C}?
• The return of four mana symbols that have each only ever been used on two cards before
Covered, but I really hope MaRo didn't forget about Spectral Procession just because the Oracle text doesn't include the reminder text. That would be embarrassing.
• Lands that come with a choice you've never had before
Let's be different: Can enter the battlefield as a creature.

You know what has been a custom card line for quite a while? "{T}: Add {C} or {G}."
• Targeted enchantment removal in black
"Destroy target enchantment unless"
• A red/white creature with a line of rules text that starts with "Whenever" and ends with "draw a card"
"a equipped creature you control deals combat damage to an opponent"
"*foo*, you may discard a card. If you do,"
• A card with three different activated abilities that all copy something
spells, activated/triggered abilities, permanents.

I could imagine this being a legendary Shattergang Brothers-style.
• "Cowards can't block Warriors"
• Shapeshifter Rogue
• Demon Cleric
• Angel Wizard
Four classes here, huh? I wonder whether that somehow has anything to do with those classes being mechanically relevant. : )

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

A CCC vanilla would not be bigger than Woolly Thoctar or Leatherback Baloth imo. I'd peg it as 4/4. Colorless mana is restrictive yet any deck could cast such a card if it had, e.g., painlands or other duals with a C option.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
A CCC vanilla would not be bigger than Woolly Thoctar or Leatherback Baloth imo. I'd peg it as 4/4. Colorless mana is restrictive yet any deck could cast such a card if it had, e.g., painlands or other duals with a C option.
I'd argue it's a slightly bigger hoop, since the number of pain lands or other duals with a colorless option is fairly limited, especially in standard sets. But I'd probably peg it around 5/5 or so, 6/6 seems like a hard sell.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”