[ZNR] Jace and Nahiri

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 3 years ago

ImageImage
ImageImage

Sources:

That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 3 years ago

They go all out on the wild planeswalker designs - putting set mechanics on them left and right. I like that in general, but I especially appreciate the tight design on this Jace that plays also into an established thematic space for the character.

I think that first ability on Nahiri is taken straight from a custom card I designed, so that's neat, too. The Equipment/Warrior tribal combination there also is a valid way to upgrade Nahiri from a pure Warrior focus.

Neither card has an ultimate that costs more than the starting loyalty, which is interesting. That might be a good thing going forward since abilities that you can activate immediately are more relevant to Constructed where "ultimates" often are not expected to get activated.

Casual planeswalkers probably will retain ultimates, but I could see this becoming a thing going forward for planewalker cards aimed at tournament play.

That alternate art Jace has a creepy look to it. o.o

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Ok, I can honestly say I like them both.

This also means Kicker is one of the returning mechanics, I would fully expect landfall to make an appearance as well.

Since these two cover WUR, it can be pretty safe to say that it is likely the rumored BG Nissa is correct, although I feel this is a step backward in her character development. I hope they have a good reason for her return to BG other than "We wanted a BG walker in the set."
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Ok, I can honestly say I like them both.

This also means Kicker is one of the returning mechanics, I would fully expect landfall to make an appearance as well.

Since these two cover WUR, it can be pretty safe to say that it is likely the rumored BG Nissa is correct, although I feel this is a step backward in her character development. I hope they have a good reason for her return to BG other than "We wanted a BG walker in the set."
Black-green Nissa could play into the Golgari life-and-death archetype, which make sense on a plane that needs revitalizing.
That being said, we've had planeswalker repeat colors in the same set before. Oko plays double duty in Throne of Eldraine by doubling up on green and blue. Elspeth and Calix share white, while Lukka and Narset share red.

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 3 years ago

Uh.... they're cool? Are these part of a deck or in the boxes? I have no use for these unfortunately. If they're in boxes, I hope I don't pull them.

Also, adventures.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 3 years ago

That warrior clause on Nahiri makes me think if we'll get more warrior tribal support in the sets after zendikar

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

Nahiri is going straight into every silly Colossus Hammer deck ever.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Jace's 0 is a lot like Sarkhan the Mad's first ability, and I frankly see it as sort of a black ability from the Dark Confidant vibes. Still, always to see a ZEN Jace not be one of the most overpowered cards of all time lol, even at his most powerful he'll just be a five-mana scry and draw engine that's quite vulnerable.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Jace's 0 is a lot like Sarkhan the Mad's first ability, and I frankly see it as sort of a black ability from the Dark Confidant vibes. Still, always to see a ZEN Jace not be one of the most overpowered cards of all time lol, even at his most powerful he'll just be a five-mana scry and draw engine that's quite vulnerable.
I think his strength lies in his versatility. For three mana, you get a decent scry engine. For five mana, you get two planeswalkers.

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 3 years ago

I suppose the best way to play Jace is to scry 2 with your low-loyalty Jace and draw off the high one and alternate. He does seem balanced.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

the Jace is super interesting and I like the nahiri as well. at first I didn't like the Jace but I've kinda turned around

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”