[2XM] Full Gallery now up on Mothership.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Ginuqu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

I adore that Fred Fields art on Mystic Gate, really glad that wasn't changed. it's also lovely that they reprinted Apprentice Wizard, I thought it was considered to be "from a different era" and not really what a blue card should look like!
sorta mad at magic right now

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Ginuqu wrote:
3 years ago
I adore that Fred Fields art on Mystic Gate, really glad that wasn't changed. it's also lovely that they reprinted Apprentice Wizard, I thought it was considered to be "from a different era" and not really what a blue card should look like!
Nonstandard legal reprint set, they could literally reprint any card in it that isn't on the reprint list, so they reprinted a lot of requested cards. We got Oubliette, a card that has not been reprinted since its original printing (because it was extremely wordy),

Honestly, I think the set, while expensive, is arguably worth the cost due to the extremely high number of value reprints, including at common and uncommon. They put in Rolling Earthquake of all things, which was not expected at all.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

illakunsaa
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by illakunsaa » 3 years ago

Honestly this set looks crap. My flgs is selling boosters at 14 euros so to just to break even you need rares to b e around 7€. There are only 12 (out of 121) rares that are over 7 euros and the most valuable rare (noble) is barely over 14€.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

illakunsaa wrote:
3 years ago
Honestly this set looks crap. My flgs is selling boosters at 14 euros so to just to break even you need rares to b e around 7€. There are only 12 (out of 121) rares that are over 7 euros and the most valuable rare (noble) is barely over 14€.
In the words of the Professor (paraphrased of course): If you are buying packs to make money, you're doing it wrong. Boosters are for drafting.

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 3 years ago

The problem with that argument is that draft experience has nothing to do with the monetary values of cards, but how fun the set is to draft. So there is no reason to draft a set that will costs you 40€+ per draft when you could draft any other set for 10€. Is there 30€ of extra fun from this set?

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

pierreb wrote:
3 years ago
The problem with that argument is that draft experience has nothing to do with the monetary values of cards, but how fun the set is to draft. So there is no reason to draft a set that will costs you 40€+ per draft when you could draft any other set for 10€. Is there 30€ of extra fun from this set?
That is kind of the crux of the matter, ain't it? A lot of people, myself and the Professor (of Tolarian Community College) included, love drafting, but still balk at the high cost of some sets that WotC argue are built for drafting, such as the masters sets. Personally I think that Double Masters costs at least 33% more than it should given the cards in it, but it does have some value cards outside of the rares and mythics. Oubliette in particular was a much needed reprint, prior to its reveal in the set it was as high as 25$, which is insane for a card that used to be a common. A lot of the reprints at all rarities were wanted and sorely needed which is a positive. You also need to accept that this set might not be for you, not every product is for every player, and fortunately in Zen3 we are getting a new product for the player that doesn't like or particularly want to draft.

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 3 years ago

Who are these sets for then? The garbage collector? Because when I see cards Skinbrand Goblin it makes me think of trash. 90% of sets are filled with trash cards that nobody wants. At my flgs it used to be possible to credit cards by the kilo. 1 kilo = 1 credit (which is worth like one dollar). They had to stop crediting because they ran out of space.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

illakunsaa wrote:
3 years ago
Who are these sets for then? The garbage collector? Because when I see cards Skinbrand Goblin it makes me think of trash. 90% of sets are filled with trash cards that nobody wants. At my flgs it used to be possible to credit cards by the kilo. 1 kilo = 1 credit (which is worth like one dollar). They had to stop crediting because they ran out of space.
Valuing the set on one arguably bad common is not a good idea. There are plenty of good cards among the commons/uncommons. Sometimes they need to put %$#% commons in a draft set for balance reasons. And that is who this set is made for: Drafters. It's not made for constructed players, yet it is filled with cards that the various constructed formats have been screaming for a reprint of for years.

Ginuqu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

Besides draft, I think these boosters are good for the card shops. Opening them up for singles makes more sense if you bought them for trade prices! When in-store tournaments are permissable again these boosters also make fairly tantalizing prizes - with the price gambling factor out of the way your imagination can sort of run wild with what you might open.

Wizards have been doing an alright job reprinting understocked cards and I'm very pleased Manamorphose is in here. They still aren't addressing the bigger problem that there are only so many viable lands for multicoloured decks and the game would probably be healthier if the ten shocklands and the five battlebond duals were just in every major product from now on, but I'd still call this a successful reprint set. It lowers the prices of hundreds of iconic cards as long as you don't want foil full-art editions.
sorta mad at magic right now

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 3 years ago

personally im still super on the fence about this. ok ok yes I already have (I collect) most of these cards in their original print. and there are a LOT of mythics (not many rares but some) that are desirable. what I mean by desirable is even next year when they print it again ill have the same argument im having now about about trying to get a playset (fow, JtmS, Karn, DC, etc)

but I know in my heart of hearts for every pack I open with a card I want there will be (well this is where the math locates a sort event horizon) many packs that just will make me feel like I just completely utterly without confusion WASTED money I could have spent on singles (I guess) or something else like say food or shelter.

and I know im going to do what I do and that's buy a box online from a trusted magic the gathering retailer and cross my fingers (usually at a less than msrp price point). because I want to support my favorite game and small business. but im going to %$#% about it, a lot, in other threads, heck I started 5 minutes ago with the start of this post. I don't feel done about it now. I figure it will start when I get a horrible box topper. and I already know that ill complain some that I didn't get all that I wanted and I should have used the money to buy 8 noble hierarchs.

thanks guys nothin but peace and love haha

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 3 years ago

I was right. at best I broke less than even, I supported my favorite game, and my favorite place for online box buying.

I did get a foil skittles. . .

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”