[JMP] Tree-hugging deck lists

Sniffnoy
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sniffnoy » 3 years ago

Previewed on the Magic page for traditional Chinese:
th1.jpg
th2.jpg
th3.jpg
Hm, I can only seem to do 3 attachments? Well, I'll make a second post...

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy » 3 years ago

Decklist:
th4.jpg

Vessiliana
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Vessiliana » 3 years ago

I am sorry if this is not a good place to post this, but I think I am out of the loop here.

What is Jumpstart? It is releasing literally two weeks after M21? It is listed as a "reprint set" here, but I know that I have never seen those legends before.

What kind of set is it? Is it a draft set? A set of decks? How many of them?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

would these cards be legal in pioneer and modern?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

AvalonAurora
Pronoun: they / them

Post by AvalonAurora » 3 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
No, the new cards will only be legal in legacy, vintage, and commander (and the commons in pauper, presumably?).

Jumpstart is basically a faster way of doing draft/sealed like decks. You just open two different jumpstart packs and jam them together, and boom, there is your sealed/draft style deck. It seems like jumpstart packs might be a double package of some sort, you open a bunch up, and they have smaller packages inside the outer package that reveals a theme, and your group of players selects the inner packages based on themes they like (such as dogs, cats, Teferi, or rainbow) and shuffles them together. Some themes only have one set of possible cards to them, but others have multiple different potential variations, so there is some potential randomness for some of the themes even before you open the inner packs.

It's generally meant to be a product for people who like draft/sealed style play, but don't like the stress of building decks and the risks of ending up with horrible jank because of bad packs or whatnot, and making sure you get the themes you want.

I suspect the product is going to fail, not because people don't like the ideas behind it, but because WotC isn't good enough to balance it properly, and the meta will be solved ridiculously fast, and clear best decks will start to dominate too much, which will upset people who picked based on favorite themes rather than most spike-friendly themes when they get beaten easily. Wizards will then blame the failure on some combination of the sharing of data and/or the false premise that the game style was a bad idea, and won't accept blame for not properly balancing things.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

AvalonAurora wrote:
3 years ago
I suspect the product is going to fail, not because people don't like the ideas behind it, but because WotC isn't good enough to balance it properly, and the meta will be solved ridiculously fast, and clear best decks will start to dominate too much, which will upset people who picked based on favorite themes rather than most spike-friendly themes when they get beaten easily. Wizards will then blame the failure on some combination of the sharing of data and/or the false premise that the game style was a bad idea, and won't accept blame for not properly balancing things.
I think quite the opposite, but those who will be driving the sales will be commander players. A lot of these cards are really nice in commander, both among the reprints and the new cards. And the sheer number of legendary creatures will help.

Also I think it may be a little early to call it out as easily solvable, as many of the themes, as shown above, have multiple variations.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

AvalonAurora wrote:
3 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
No, the new cards will only be legal in legacy, vintage, and commander (and the commons in pauper, presumably?).
ugh, that's a bit of disappointment. Thought I might get a few more useful dogs for pioneer.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

AvalonAurora wrote:
3 years ago
My understanding is that the boosters are unmarked on the outside, with an inner wrapper that tells you the theme. You can't pick which themes you want (unless the TO opens the outer wrappers for some reason).

I do think some of the explanation I'd heard was that you'd get to pick your favourite theme and see "who would win" but that's not how it's going to work from what I understand. It's basically pack wars, except the packs have lands and are built to work more-or-less like real decks, instead of fully random.

I'm sure they aren't perfectly balanced, but neither are booster packs for limited. Since they are preconstructed, I'd guess they're probably more fair than a normal booster.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”