Meaningful reprints and Core 2021

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

My cautious optimism has upgraded to an actual official Mookie Seal of Approval (tm). Solemn Simulacrum, Fabled Passage, and Heroic Intervention all make me happy.
Selaya wrote:
3 years ago
Oubliette would be nigh-unplayable in standard. When was the last time you've seen a serious deck play Murder? Yeah, me neither.

What this Standard desperately needs is efficient CMC 1 answers - StoP, Bolt et al.
They keep printing runaway CMC 3 threats that would've blown people's minds in 1993 but efficient answers are a no-go?
Keep trainwrecking like that then, Standard won't stop being ass until they realise all-threat-no-answer formats are unfun.
I'm going to strongly disagree with this statement. If Standard has access to super-efficient removal, then that makes cards like Baneslayer Angel effectively unplayable... while the Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath and Bonecrusher Giants of the world are the only things worth playing, because they generate immediate value. The cheap runaway threats are certainly a problem, but StP / Doom Blade will only make the problem worse.

Seriously, Patrick Sullivan put it way better than I ever could.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

Holy crap! I think we know enough to declare this the most juiced core set ever. I mean, even if the rest is chaff, there's a lot of gas here. I wonder what the rest of the spoilers are going to look like. It feels weird to have a core set generate this much excitement; in fact, I haven't looked forward to a set this much in years.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Yeah, there's a ton of stuff I'd love mutliple copies of here. Give me a couple of Wurms, a few Passages, an Azusa, an Ugin and I'll be a happy boy.

There's some pretty neat new additions too.

Personally I'm hoping the rest of the set bodes well based on what's spoiled so far, but usually they release the prime cuts first, so it probably will drop off. Or if there's further good stuff to come it'll be corner case stuff. Still, there's definitely enough here to grab some value, either from packs or singles.

Here's hoping it's a sign of increased value in reprints moving forward.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Selaya
<3
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Selaya » 3 years ago

Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
[ ... ]

I'm going to strongly disagree with this statement. If Standard has access to super-efficient removal, then that makes cards like Baneslayer Angel effectively unplayable... while the Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath and Bonecrusher Giants of the world are the only things worth playing, because they generate immediate value. The cheap runaway threats are certainly a problem, but StP / Doom Blade will only make the problem worse.

News flash Baneslayers haven't been playable for awhile now (yes, CITP triggers are another part of the problem, they're related but not the same.) other than to %$#% on Sligh (That's what people used Lyra, Baneslayer 2.0 for before it rotated. Granted, not having ECD nor 3feri for the most part around also helped, so there's that, too.)

I mean fundamentally I disagree with Magic: The Creaturing as a whole, so there's that.

Oh and, Doom Blade's CMC 2 so who cares
“There is no shortcut to work done true and well. The Creators learned this to their sorrow, the first time they made the world.”

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

nice to see Ugin, Baneslayer, and Fabled Passage get a reprint.

they should have reprinted Containment Priest when Faithless Looting was rampant in modern.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 3 years ago

considering how much practice they have at core sets. . .

hitting the tropes close to my heart with Treefolk and a decent goblin

Jolrael, Mwonvuli Recluse is looking good for green in my opinion and im digging that cheaply costed red dragon.

and they really pulling at the heartstrings with Alpine Houndmaster and its boi's . . . unless your a cat person (lol)

idSurge

Post by idSurge » 3 years ago

Mookie wrote:
3 years ago

Baneslayers are already unplayable. If you dont have an On Cast, ETB, or some kind of recursive ability, its unplayable, and it has nothing to do with removal.

It's a question of how you want to design the game. Do we want Uro's, or do we want Baneslayers.

The problem Patrick is talking about here is not 'dies to removal'. Its no cost removal that ALSO puts you ahead, automatically.
UR Control UR

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Good to see a reprint of Glorious Anthem. It's a good card.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Ok at this point they finally accepted the fact they can't focusing on new players in core sets (and maybe standard sets)

Because from everything else so far now Palladium Myr and Scavenging Ooze are here too

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

The N82O Molecule wrote:
3 years ago

and they really pulling at the heartstrings with Alpine Houndmaster and its boi's . . . unless your a cat person (lol)
it may not be competitive, but I'm building a pioneer dog deck with him and his dogs for the fun of it. Cheap as well, the houndmaster is .25 cents, and the dogs at .15 cents each. Maybe there would be some more dog support once all cards are revealed.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

I really like the Scavenging Ooze reprint. I'm not sure if it's that good but I like the alternate frame version

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Colossal Dreadmaw! This thread's over, folks. Best set ever. All future sets are cancelled. It's over. It can't get any better.

Magic: the Gathering, 1993-2020. RIP.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 3 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
The N82O Molecule wrote:
3 years ago

it may not be competitive, but I'm building a pioneer dog deck with him and his dogs for the fun of it. Cheap as well, the houndmaster is .25 cents, and the dogs at .15 cents each. Maybe there would be some more dog support once all cards are revealed.
that's awesome, first and for most it must be able to beat the cat deck! but idk because cats have some serious support these days. I really can't wait til they make the ultimate dog card, one with companion. just off the cuff you could have all the breads with their different art on the same card, so you get just the right looking good boi you want, but not for cats obviously

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

@The N82O Molecule

my pioneer cat deck are the amonkhet cats + kaheera + good removal like abrupt decay... so as it is now - the dogs will get owned. So I'm waiting for one or two more strong dog cards to even the odds. :)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

The set is spoiled, so what's our final count/tally of meaningful/in-demand/spicy reprints?

Grim Tutor
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
Azusa, Lost but Seeking
Fabled Passage
Massacre Wurm
Heroic Intervention
Solemn Simulacrum
Baneslayer Angel
Runed Halo
Containment Priest
Scavenging Ooze

And of course, Colossal Dreadmaw, the undisputed reprint champ of modern times. But seriously, that's eleven sweet reprints in one regularly priced set. That's pretty great.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
The set is spoiled, so what's our final count/tally of meaningful/in-demand/spicy reprints?

Grim Tutor
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
Azusa, Lost but Seeking
Fabled Passage
Massacre Wurm
Heroic Intervention
Solemn Simulacrum
Baneslayer Angel
Runed Halo
Containment Priest
Scavenging Ooze

And of course, Colossal Dreadmaw, the undisputed reprint champ of modern times. But seriously, that's eleven sweet reprints in one regularly priced set. That's pretty great.
not only that depending on what's in each pack

jumpstart begins tomorrow and there are 500 reprints so who knows what reprints are in those packs

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Yeah, those are all some fantastic cards that I'm happy to see reprinted (well, maybe not Runed Halo). From a Standard perspective, it's not bad to have stuff like Tormod's Crypt or Duress in the format as safety valves either. It's certainly possible that some of the cards may cause issues in Standard (I've seen concerns re: Azura and Ugin), but in general, I think they're all good choices - the reprints in the set look great.

...and I totally forgot about Jumpstart too. Guess we'll see exactly what those entail soon.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

@idSurge

Ulamog wanted to join the fun, so it followed you there. just kidding.

I remember you dislike the eldrazi.. ><

well, surely there are other decks in historic that are not ula decks?

Maluko
Answers: 1

Post by Maluko » 3 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
Never....complain...about...reprints ever again.
I know, right? It's like Wizards has decided "you know what, %$#% this %$#%, if players want reprints, we'll give them reprints, we'll give them ALL the reprints!", and then M21 and Jumpstart happened. And we're still awaiting Double Masters... and Commander Legends... What even is this year!? 🤑

idSurge

Post by idSurge » 3 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
idSurge

Ulamog wanted to join the fun, so it followed you there. just kidding.

I remember you dislike the eldrazi.. ><

well, surely there are other decks in historic that are not ula decks?
It's a pretty suspect inclusion in a format with reanimate tools, and ramp that is nearly if not on par with Modern.

Meanwhile, we don't get Bolt?
UR Control UR

SpeedGrapher

Post by SpeedGrapher » 3 years ago

You know how long it's been since people have been amped for a core set ? I haven't been excited since Grave Titan and the other titans came out in the titan cycle in Magic 2011. That's 9 years ago! Core sets have been bad for a really long time. I'm ready to open some packs and forget about all of the bad things happening in the outside world. Glorious Anthem has aged so poorly. I'm not sure why they didn't print this at uncommon. That's not making it into any deck these days.
There are even some reprint down grades Vryn Wingmare is now uncommon.
Also now uncommon Quirion Dryad.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

SpeedGrapher wrote:
3 years ago
You know how long it's been since people have been amped for a core set ? I haven't been excited since Grave Titan and the other titans came out in the titan cycle in Magic 2011. That's 9 years ago! Core sets have been bad for a really long time. I'm ready to open some packs and forget about all of the bad things happening in the outside world. Glorious Anthem has aged so poorly. I'm not sure why they didn't print this at uncommon. That's not making it into any deck these days.
There are even some reprint down grades Vryn Wingmare is now uncommon.
Also now uncommon Quirion Dryad.
I would disagree, Origins was awesome, as was the Bolas centered core set. But I do agree that this one seems a lot better.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”