[M21] Teferi, Master of Time - preview from WotC's twitch stream

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 3 years ago

Four arts, four Showcases, one borderless.

Teferi, Master of Time
2UU
Legendary Planeswalker - Teferi
Mythic Rare
You may activate loyalty abilities of Teferi, Master of Time on any player's turn any time you could cast an instant.
+1: Draw a card, then discard a card.
-3: Target creature you don't control phases out.
-10: Take two turns after this one.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

Teferi is probably my favorite MTG character (right up there with Feather and Toshiro Umezawa), but to say I have something of a love / hate relationship with his cards in an understatement. Outside of Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir, I don't enjoy playing with or against any of his other cards (even though I do play Teferi, Time Raveler myself in a couple of decks).

Saying all that, I love the card, from the designs, to the art, to the unique boarder. I can see more of his tricky/fun-loving persona, instead of just his time mage powers in the card. And I am really excited about activating planeswalker abilities on my opponents' turns and phasing out creatures.

Finally I just have to say I love the simple elegance of the phasing reminder text. It would be neat if it came back a little bit more because of it.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

I think peoples fear of this card in commander is overrated. As soon as you drop this, all the other players are going to target you exclusively until he is gone.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

I never thought I'd see the day they put phasing back. I like it though

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

nice loot ability, and can be used at instant speed!
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

If anything this seems underpowered to me. His first two abilities are very weak, -3 to get rid of a creature for one turn is really rough. But who knows, being instant speed is neat, he might fit into some control shells.

In commander it seems even harder to make good. Can't easily ult him With doubling season etc, and his board control is very weak. If looting is particularly valuable to you then maaaaybe, but that's about it imo.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
If anything this seems underpowered to me. His first two abilities are very weak, -3 to get rid of a creature for one turn is really rough. But who knows, being instant speed is neat, he might fit into some control shells.

In commander it seems even harder to make good. Can't easily ult him With doubling season etc, and his board control is very weak. If looting is particularly valuable to you then maaaaybe, but that's about it imo.
He does get some value in EDH out of rattlesnaking and the multiplayer format. Since he can be activated at instant speed, he can build up loyalty quickly if nobody attacks him by activating on each other player's turn. And while he can only remove a single creature, he can threaten to do it as long as he hasn't been activated yet that turn. So you can hold up the "phase something out", and if they don't swing (as they'll be wasting their attack) loot post combat, letting you keep holding that option up. He can also do tricks like threaten to phase something out in response to a combo. All in all, I think he'll play stronger than he initially reads, though he still suffers from the inherent issues of planeswalkers in multiplayer. Most players will probably call your bluff on the phasing if it's something like a Solemn or the like. So he'll need some on board presence to protect him.

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

My official policy re: planeswalker spoilers is to not even try to predict how good they'll be, because it's pretty much impossible. Teferi is definitely interesting though. The (+) isn't card advantage, and card filtering has diminishing returns - at some point, you'll have the perfect hand, at which point more looting doesn't accomplish anything. It may be still be very strong if there are cards that benefit from being discarded or in the graveyard though - if you're running Treasure Cruise or Life from the Loam, it goes way up in value. I don't know if there are enough graveyard synergies in Standard though. If there are, then Teferi may see play there. He can also gain a lot of loyalty, since he effectively has a (+2).

Phasing something out is... also interesting. It's not really permanent removal - just a tempo play. Also somewhat unique in that it doesn't really protect Teferi if you use it on your own turn - you can clear out a blocker, but it will return on your opponent's upkeep. Instant speed interaction is certainly interesting though - you can temporarily shoot down a key combo piece, or just deal with an attacker.

The ultimate, at least, pretty much speaks for itself - two extra turns is strong.

In EDH / multiplayer, it's still somewhat difficult to reach the ultimate, but having a (+4) ability is sort of terrifying - that's a lot of loyalty to chew through. T1 Sol Ring, T2 Teferi into T4 Time Stretch is pretty backbreaking, although that says a bit more about Sol Ring into snowbally nonsense cards than it does about Teferi. The fast ultimate is definitely concerning though. But, again, phasing stuff out isn't amazing (although it does effectively last longer in multiplayer, since there are more turns the creature won't be available for), and you do still need some graveyard synergies to benefit from the looting.

DirkGently

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
He does get some value in EDH out of rattlesnaking and the multiplayer format. Since he can be activated at instant speed, he can build up loyalty quickly if nobody attacks him by activating on each other player's turn. And while he can only remove a single creature, he can threaten to do it as long as he hasn't been activated yet that turn. So you can hold up the "phase something out", and if they don't swing (as they'll be wasting their attack) loot post combat, letting you keep holding that option up. He can also do tricks like threaten to phase something out in response to a combo. All in all, I think he'll play stronger than he initially reads, though he still suffers from the inherent issues of planeswalkers in multiplayer. Most players will probably call your bluff on the phasing if it's something like a Solemn or the like. So he'll need some on board presence to protect him.
If it was something stronger than phasing, sure, but if you're already attacking with it (so it's probably tapped), chances are that phasing it out essentially means nothing to the attacker. In fact it might be a boon since it won't die to wipes, making it hard for the Teferi player (or anyone else) to remove it profitably. If they want to connect with a Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion then maybe they'll leave Teferi alone, And they might not swing at you with that BSC, but I think that's about it.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
If it was something stronger than phasing, sure, but if you're already attacking with it (so it's probably tapped), chances are that phasing it out essentially means nothing to the attacker. In fact it might be a boon since it won't die to wipes, making it hard for the Teferi player (or anyone else) to remove it profitably. If they want to connect with a Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion then maybe they'll leave Teferi alone, And they might not swing at you with that BSC, but I think that's about it.
I think that's underselling phasing a bit. There's a decent amount of creatures that care about staying on the board between turns, so while having your big dumb beater phased out probably won't phase you that much (pun intended), losing your consecrated sphinx for a turn cycle is a pretty significant penalty. To me, there's enough cards played for their static abilities that phasing is fairly relevant removal, even though it's not permanent.

DirkGently

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
I think that's underselling phasing a bit. There's a decent amount of creatures that care about staying on the board between turns, so while having your big dumb beater phased out probably won't phase you that much (pun intended), losing your consecrated sphinx for a turn cycle is a pretty significant penalty. To me, there's enough cards played for their static abilities that phasing is fairly relevant removal, even though it's not permanent.
I think you're overestimating the percentage of creatures that have constant effects. Looking at the top creatures on EDHrec (https://edhrec.com/top/creatures), the vast majority either have an etb effect, a tap ability, a death/sac effect, trigger that's easiest to trigger on your turn (i.e. landfall), attack trigger, etc - and of those that do have an effect that matters on enemy turns, many of them don't have big enough bodies to justify phasing out. Even sphinx, if you phase it out instead of looting, you've basically ended up at the same spot loyalty-wise. Granted, it's probably worth phasing out (or otherwise removing) regardless of attacks. Do you really want to keep +1ing teferi while they draw a billion cards?

And of course on top of that, there's lots of tokens that don't have any relevant abilities either.

Personally I'd ballpark the % of creatures that will care are probably 10% or less. Not enough to push the needle very far imo.

And phasing just plays badly with board wipes, the usual tool for board control in commander. Personally I'd be thrilled to attack into teferi, force him to -3, then wipe the board myself. I'd like him a lot more if he could target his own creatures tbh.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”