[M21] Mangara, the Diplomat - preview from @manoah_mtg

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 3 years ago

Here is the source link: https://twitter.com/manoah_mtg/status/1 ... 2698818566

I'm sure they were supposed to wait until tomorrow, due to previews being postponed in honor of the Day of Mourning, but it's quite possible that Wizards didn't let the content creators know to delay it.

[img]img/cards/m21/58290-mangara-the-diploma ... 288846/img]

White card draw!

Mangara, the Diplomat
3W
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric
Mythic Rare
Lifelink
Whenever an opponent attacks with creatures, if two or more of those creatures are attacking you and/or planeswalkers you control, draw a card.
Whenever an opponent cast their second spell each turn, draw a card.
2/4
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

I'm hoping we get people Teferi knew in his life as an ordinary mortal (or at least during/prior to the Weatherlight Saga) as the monocolor legendary cycle then.

We could see a monoblack Kaervek and Jolrael might be the green one.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

timespiral one was better.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

strikes me as a very good card :3 are we to read his four toughness as having bodyguards or healing magic? or is it just modern design putting high toughness on a guy in a chair giggle

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

I really like this card. I also like how it gives white card draw in a very white way. I always thought white getting card draw from jumping through hoops, like in this card and Dawn of Hope, is something that should become permanent for white. Hopefully this means it becomes more common.

I do wonder MaRo's thoughts on this card since he has been somewhat vocal about his views on white draw unless it is reciprocal.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
I do wonder MaRo's thoughts on this card since he has been somewhat vocal about his views on white draw unless it is reciprocal.
My view is that this idea that each color without draw in its slice of the color pie can only have one form of card advantage or card selection is a little, ehh, chintzy.

Red gets impulse draw and looting both, after all - I don't see anything wrong philosophically or with the color pie in giving white purely reactive, "rules setting" draw. Heck, this card is formatted like it has taxing abilities.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
I'm hoping we get people Teferi knew in his life as an ordinary mortal (or at least during/prior to the Weatherlight Saga) as the monocolor legendary cycle then.

We could see a monoblack Kaervek and Jolrael might be the green one.
I hope we get a new Jolrael. She should still be alive as well, as she was not in Zhalfir when it phased out, wasn't killed during the invasion or in Time Spiral, and is essentially ageless since she is pretty much the "soul" of Mwonwuli. She, as a human, was somewhere close to 200 years old during the Mirage War and looked to be in her late 20's early 30's.

I wonder if she gets the noble subtype if we get a card of her, she is a Zhalfirin princess after all.
Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
I really like this card. I also like how it gives white card draw in a very white way. I always thought white getting card draw from jumping through hoops, like in this card and Dawn of Hope, is something that should become permanent for white. Hopefully this means it becomes more common.

Well, the card is very dependent on one of your opponents attacking you with two or more creatures or casting two spells in one turn, so I think he'd be fine with it. Kinda weirded out by his creature typing though, he's supposed to be a wizard.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Guardman wrote:
3 years ago

Well, the card is very dependent on one of your opponents attacking you with two or more creatures or casting two spells in one turn, so I think he'd be fine with it. Kinda weirded out by his creature typing though, he's supposed to be a wizard.
The line between Cleric and Wizard is mostly along color lines now a days, especially with the addition of Warlock to complete the cycle. While they could have made him a wizard for the sake of the old card, I'd guess that they checked with the lore people, who said he's basically both, and went with the one that fits with modern styling more. I'd also assume that if they did a mono black Karevek, they'd make him a warlock these days.

As for the white card draw, this is probably part of the experimental pushing of it. It's certainly an interesting way to do it, as it effectively feels like Rule of Law and Silent Arbiter, both clearly white or white adjacent effects, but instead of preventing it entirely it gives the controller card draw. Because it gives the opponent the choice of whether or not to trigger it (typically, barring forced attack shenanigans), it's theoretically weaker than those effects, which should make it okay. But in larger games, such as commander, it presents a nice way to get card draw, since most players will be willing to let you draw a card to "break the rule".

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

folding_music wrote:
3 years ago
strikes me as a very good card :3 are we to read his four toughness as having bodyguards or healing magic? or is it just modern design putting high toughness on a guy in a chair giggle
I do wonder how he increased his toughness? :omg:
time spiral mangara card is only a 1/1..

anyway, good card. Bolt proof, and can potentially draw a card before dying.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
folding_music wrote:
3 years ago

Time Spiral Mangara was weakened due to having just gotten out of the Amber Prison.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Pretty damn good. Severely restricts your opponents if they don't wanna give you mega card advantage

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

I first thought this would be a commander card when I first saw it but maybe my first impression was wrong. This card could be standard playable

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
folding_music wrote:
3 years ago

Time Spiral Mangara was weakened due to having just gotten out of the Amber Prison.
Time Spiral Mangara is also a very old man. This Mangara looks to be much younger.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

lookingupanddown wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago

Time Spiral Mangara is also a very old man. This Mangara looks to be much younger.
From what I can tell, it's supposed to be pre-Mirage War Mangara.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

This makes me wonder.. if they give us a new Mangara card. Would they also give us a new Kaervek, Jolrael, and other characters from those sets of mtg?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

CalebLost
The Prince of the Ravens
Answers: 5

Post by CalebLost » 3 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
This makes me wonder.. if they give us a new Mangara card. Would they also give us a new Kaervek, Jolrael, and other characters from those sets of mtg?
Jolrael being spoiled a few hours back and a Kaervek flavor text may be a near confirm for him too
Current Duel Commander Decks
EnemyShard
MerenAlesha
Rashmi
Jhoira
Tajic

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

@CalebLost

that's nice! thanks for the info. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”