Marks core 2021 teasers

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Mark did it again with teasers

for those who can't see the post
Show
Hide
A brand new planeswalker (from a plane we've visited)
• A card that lets you draw half of your library.
• A +1/+1 tribal lord for a creature type that's never had one. (A creature type with over fifty cards already in print.)
• A character with a Vanguard card and a legendary creature card gets a second of the latter.
• A card with thirty-one different options.
• A card that gains all activated abilities of a certain subset of cards in a place it's never done it before.
• A card that uses a nonevergreen named ability over twenty years old.
• A card with the words "battlefield", "cast", "creature", "converted mana cost", "end of turn", "exile", "graveyard" and "mana cost".
• An aura inspired from a cycle from Urza's Sagablock
• A nonevergreen enchantment subtype returns

Core 2021 also has a number of fun reprints, including:

• A popular character first introduced in flavor text.
• A French Vanilla mythic rare.
• A popular aura that started as part of a cycle.
• A card with a unique protection.
• Two cards played in tournaments that have been reprinted over twenty times with at least five different pieces of art
• A card that's never previously appeared in a premier set.
• A card that's never been reprinted before which has a 2, 3, 5 and 6 all appear on the card.
• A Human Monk.
• A card from the Time Spiraltimeshifted sheet.
What do you think of these

WizardMN
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

I have seen Phasing talked about as the 20 year old mechanic (it is the set of Teferi after all) so that would be pretty cool.

And the card with 31 different options seems pretty clear it is a "choose any number of colors" type card since there are 31 different color combinations (not including colorless) available.

The Vanguard + Legendary creature card is limited to:

Barrin, Master Wizard
Eladamri, Lord of Leaves
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Maraxus of Keld
Mishra, Artificer Prodigy
Orim, Samite Healer
Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
Selenia, Dark Angel
Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa
Sliver Queen
Tawnos, Urza's Apprentice
Titania, Protector of Argoth

(Assuming I didn't miss something anyway)

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 3 years ago

Phasing as the old mechanic returning would somewhat confirm the speculatively spoiled new Teferi.

Non evergreen enchantment: curses?

The vanguard + legendary could mean we get sliver once again via sliver queen.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

The lord and weird protection led me to only one conclusion that wouldn't be busted in standard: Kithkin are returning in numbers. (Mistmeadow Skulk.)

The nonevergreen Enchantment subtype is kinda hard, as there are only five enchantment subtypes, and only one of those (aura) is evergreen to my knowledge.

As for the brand new planeswalker. Not going to speculate on who the character is, because that would be redundant as they're supposed to be new. But the plane guess is fun. I am thinking a plane we've visited but we don't currently have a native planeswalker from. That eliminates the following: Alara, Amonkhet, Dominaria, Eldraine, Fiora, Ikoria, Innistrad, Ixalan, Kamigawa, Mirrodin, Ravnica, Tarkir, Theros, and Zendikar.
Personally I am thinking that the most likely option, if it is none of the above, would be Lorwyn/Shadowmoor. We have no native walkers from the plane, and personally I wouldn't have anything against another elf planeswalker (or even a Kithkin walker, particularly if my above prediction holds true.) But it is of course purely speculation on my part.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

CommanderMaster999

I think we just found the tribe

It's Dog

Looks like they finally errata hound to dog

And jumpstart does have a dog/hound theme and they already confirmed core 2021 is heavy involved of it.

Hope we get a dog that said "dogs you control haven protections from cats"

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

cute dog! come here. :)

if they push this tribe, I might create a dog deck to have an opponent for my already built cat deck.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Before seeing that post, I was already going to guess hound. I'm claiming my psychic cookie. :D

As for other things....
31 different options is solvable with a card that has 'choose 1 or more' from 5 options. Alternatively, Who // What // When // Where // Why with Fuse!
A land that gets activated abilities of lands in graveyards?
Akroma, Angel of Wrath is my prediction for the french vanilla mythic reprint.
I'll hope that the human monk is Azusa, Lost but Seeking. Geist-Honored Monk may break Winota, Joiner of Forces (and doesn't really need a reprint). There are a lot of options though.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

- Brand new walker: This doesn't really narrow anything down. Let's just enjoy the new character when they're revealed.

- Card that lets you draw half your library: This seems like a full mechanical spoiler besides mana cost - expensive blue sorcery that says "Draw half the number of cards in your library, rounded up."

- Lord: I guess the second teaser means it's Hounds (Dogs?). Of all the hills MaRo has wanted to die on I've felt that type change was the most utterly pointless one. It saves two whole characters of text space and while yes, not every real-life dog is classified as a "hound", everyone knows what you mean in Magic terms when you say hound. No one's assuming there's a specific creature type out there for every type of dog breed. I guess I'm "whatever" about it, but... c'mon. Why fix something that is only broken if you have an obsessive, irrational complex about it?

- WizardMN covered the vanguard legends who only ever got one creature card. I'm betting it's a new Hanna given the Weatherlight crew overhauls of the recent past.

- I don't know how you arrive at thirty-one different options - like, exactly thirty-one. It's a prime number, so it's not like it's multiple choices between two things like thirty-two could be.

EDIT: Maybe this is five choices of two modes (25 = 32) but one of the permutations isn't possible? I'm beat otherwise.

- Ability gainer: "Play with your hand revealed. This has all activated abilities of all (creature?) cards in your hand." Presumably a mythic Shapeshifter.

- Old ability: I guess phasing or flanking, take your pick. Like hell it's gonna be cumulative upkeep. But, watch it be landwalk.

- All those words: Something with an ETB ability that lets you freecast a creature card you own in different zones?

- Aura from Urza block: A new Embrace.

- Enchantment subtype: This could only be Curse. I highly doubt it's Cartouche, that's for certain. EDIT: I didn't think Shrine was an option because it's parasitic/tribal but if the Hondens appeared in an Arena reprint set then there's definitely a chance. Curse seems more likely though, it returns on a pretty regular basis and everyone seems to like Curses. For as beloved as Sagas are though I don't think something with a wacky special frame would appear in a core set, nor would it reappear soon after THB.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

CommanderMaster999

I got two suspects for the
A card that's never been reprinted before which has a 2, 3, 5 and 6 all appear on the card.
Candiate 1 Lighthouse Chronologist

Candiate 2 Massacre Wurm

Any other options?

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

My personal hope is the " A popular character first introduced in flavor text." reprint is Saffi Eriksdotter.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
A card that's never been reprinted before which has a 2, 3, 5 and 6 all appear on the card.

Candiate 2 Massacre Wurm

Any other options?
Of these I think Lighthouse Chronologist is absolutely not it, and I'll think that until I see a confirmed spoiler showing level up cards.

Massacre Wurm is an obvious possibility because it's a sought-after card that has nothing non-evergreen about it. A core set is the obvious place to reprint this card.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

davidemsa

Post by davidemsa » 3 years ago

Enchantment subtype:
Cartouche: No. This wouldn't be part of a teaser, no one is excited about these.
Saga: Probably not. I wouldn't expect this in a Core Set.
Curse: Possible. It's both interesting and simple, so it fits a Core Set.
Shrine: My guess. This would explain the inclusion of the other Shrines in Historic Anthology 3.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
- I don't know how you arrive at thirty-one different options - like, exactly thirty-one. It's a prime number, so it's not like it's multiple choices between two things like thirty-two could be.

EDIT: Maybe this is five choices of two modes (25 = 32) but one of the permutations isn't possible? I'm beat otherwise.
It was pointed out above that "Pick one or more colors" comes out to exactly 31 permutations. There's the 5 mono colors, 10 guilds, 10 3-color combos, 5 4-color combos, and one option for all 5 colors.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago

It was pointed out above that "Pick one or more colors" comes out to exactly 31 permutations. There's the 5 mono colors, 10 guilds, 10 3-color combos, 5 4-color combos, and one option for all 5 colors.
Oh, of course! 5+10+10+5+1 DOES equal 31. That's the obvious answer then.

CommanderMaster999

Actually about the 31

It's a new card but its possible to do outside colors

Casualties of War

Has 31 choices too

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

3 years ago
Actually about the 31

It's a new card but its possible to do outside colors

Casualties of War

Has 31 choices too
Also true, but how many effects can you think of have five modes where you would realistically pick one, two, three, four, or five of them in different situations? Five-mode "choose any number" also seems a little bit complicated for Core.

I'm thinking now that it's "choose one or more colors" and then something either positive or negative happens to all creatures of the chosen colors.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

davidemsa wrote:
3 years ago
Enchantment subtype:
Cartouche: No. This wouldn't be part of a teaser, no one is excited about these.
Saga: Probably not. I wouldn't expect this in a Core Set.
Curse: Possible. It's both interesting and simple, so it fits a Core Set.
Shrine: My guess. This would explain the inclusion of the other Shrines in Historic Anthology 3.
I'd be excited for a new Cartouche, particularly if it was multicolor and came with a trial. :pensive:

But I do think that Curse or Shrine are the most likely options, and I'd be pretty stoked for a new Shrine to be honest, I've wanted to do a five color enchantment deck for commander for a while with the five already existing ones in it for a while now, and another one might just be enough for me to finally do it. :)
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

French vanilla mythic reminds me of Ol' Walletslayer Angel. My money is on the efficient flying 5/5s. Although, protection from deomns and dragons does jack in standard, so maybe not.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
I'd be excited for a new Cartouche, particularly if it was multicolor and came with a trial. :pensive:

But I do think that Curse or Shrine are the most likely options, and I'd be pretty stoked for a new Shrine to be honest, I've wanted to do a five color enchantment deck for commander for a while with the five already existing ones in it for a while now, and another one might just be enough for me to finally do it. :)
I'd be so excited if we finally got another Shrine. I wonder if it would be Legendary like those from Champions of Kamigawa? It would be relevant for me because I run the Honden in my Sisay, Weatherlight Captain deck. (Although that deck's a bit of a fail as it never wants to tutor up the Honden if it can do something else, so I agree that a full-on enchantment deck, like you suggested, is the way to go).

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago

Candiate 2 Massacre Wurm

Any other options?
Of these I think Lighthouse Chronologist is absolutely not it, and I'll think that until I see a confirmed spoiler showing level up cards.

Massacre Wurm is an obvious possibility because it's a sought-after card that has nothing non-evergreen about it. A core set is the obvious place to reprint this card.
you are actually correct. I saw a leak, massacre wurm is back.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Mass wurm.jpg
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 3 years ago

usually maro is excellently ambiguous when it comes to hints.

kudos on the massacre worm thing

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 3 years ago

Reddit post shows Ugin, Wurm (seen above), Baneslayer, and a new Chandra. I'm kinda happy for the Wurm reprint
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 3 years ago

Given the leaks from today, it is safe to assume the Human Monk is NOT Monastery Mentor due to white having three mythics leaked/revealed
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

CommanderMaster999

From some cards

I might need to speculate the tribe is cleric.

CalebLost
The Prince of the Ravens
Answers: 5

Post by CalebLost » 3 years ago

3 years ago
From some cards

I might need to speculate the tribe is cleric.
the lord tribe will probably be dog (errata'ed from hounds) considering their FB post with the dog picture (and being a jumpstart theme)
Current Duel Commander Decks
EnemyShard
MerenAlesha
Rashmi
Jhoira
Tajic

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”