[2XM] Double Masters

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 3 years ago

332 cards
24 packs per booster box
15-card booster packs, with two rares and two foil cards per pack! (And, yes, those foils can be up to two additional rares.)
Two non-foil showcase box topper cards included in each booster box
Available in English, French, German, Simplified Chinese, and Japanese
Double Masters will be available on Magic Online starting August 6 (ONE day early!) for $6.99 per booster. It will not be redeemable.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2020-05-21
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2020-05-21
(same announcement, more less, just different preview cards)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Two very nice reprints out of the gate. WeeklyMTG will take more about the set on Twitch today and have at least one more preview, based on the results of a twitter poll:

EDIT: calling this out here to avoid further confusion. There will be NO fetches in this set (they will be reprinted later, likely in Commander Legends).
Last edited by Dusk 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Finally!!! I've been waiting forever for them to reprint Blightsteel Colossus come to papa for my Kozilek, the Great Distortion deck

But seriously how many more sets can we get for this year and this commander year is getting better and better

And I think we found were those fetch lands are being reprinted like they announced with the ultimate masters

Edit there's another but I will post it innuoffical spoilers
Last edited by CommanderMaster999 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

No fetches (have edited the main post to convey this).

Where does that image come from? Would like to properly link them in the main post

RedCheese
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RedCheese » 3 years ago

And DOUBLE the PRICE!!!

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 3 years ago

Argh... That Atraxa is going to be a big hit for my finances... Well... At least it is non-foil, which is a big plus for me.
EDIT: wait...
They said they were discontinuing the masters products... Guess they just forgot...
EDIT2:
... The Atraxa just vanished from the thread ...
Last edited by Atraxian 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

RedCheese wrote:
3 years ago
And DOUBLE the PRICE!!!
expecting close to Modern Masters in terms of price, which would hurt but be understandable-ish. Some speculation is putting the price point closer to Modern Horizons, which would be nice.

CommanderMaster999

Dusk wrote:
3 years ago
No fetches (have edited the main post to convey this).

Where does that image come from? Would like to properly link them in the main post
Just realized the whoops and moved the photo to unofficial spoilers

(no source yet just Russian)

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 3 years ago

yes this is early but it hits my fav card right out the gate. just two more copies of this card that will be must gets. and heck for the first time in a very long time ill be able to update my profile picture.

somehow ill have to squeeze in that sexy new chest from the full art, basically just like the tweet.

phrexian life

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 3 years ago

A Digital exclusive Masters set?

Hard pass for me.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago

Hard pass for me.
not digital. Just available on MTGO one day early.

CommanderMaster999

Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago

Hard pass for me.
No it's one day earlier for online

August 7th is when paper cones out it literally said 24 pack booster box

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

love these sets because they create a huge excess of decent casual cards. it just feels gross though, isn't M21 coming around the same time?

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

folding_music wrote:
3 years ago
love these sets because they create a huge excess of decent casual cards. it just feels gross though, isn't M21 coming around the same time?
M21 will be early July (releasing July 3rd). So we will have about 2 weeks between it's release and the official start to previews for 2XM. Lots of products coming out. Just looked and saw that Jumpstart is set to release on July 17. June will be spoilers for M21, August may be quiet, with spoilers for Zendikar Rising happening in September at the earliest. Busy summer for MTG.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

Dusk wrote:
3 years ago
folding_music wrote:
3 years ago
M21 will be early July (releasing July 3rd). So we will have about 2 weeks between it's release and the official start to previews for 2XM. Lots of products coming out. Just looked and saw that Jumpstart is set to release on July 17. June will be spoilers for M21, August may be quiet, with spoilers for Zendikar Rising happening in September at the earliest. Busy summer for MTG.
Jumpstart in particular was a Corona Virus related problem, it was originally scheduled for May 18th, but got pushed back due to a combination of production problems and... *gestures at everything else*. So that particular pileup wasn't preplanned, it was just making the best of a bad situation. Without that, we'd be currently opening Jumpstart, having started Ikoria a month ago, and there would have been a month with no product between M21 and 2XM.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

They've already sold me on the idea. I am not going to make the final decision until more cards are revealed, but I am excited.

Now, the question is: Does it contain much needed high value reprints that the commander format is literally screaming for? (And no, I know it doesn't contain the fetches, pretty sure those are in Commander Legends)
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Noir

Post by Noir » 3 years ago

Super excited about this, I adore that Ron Spencer doubling season. Can't wait to see more!

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Alternate arts looks great. And having twice as many rares in packs will hopefully drive prices down even further. No fetchlands is certainly a bummer though. As usual, I'll reserve full judgment until the full set is revealed.

....I know when they stopped doing masters sets, I was definitely feeling fatigue from all the releases, but it's been a long enough time that I don't mind a new set. I do hope that they hit at least a few of the cards on my reprint wishlist. I'll throw out Caged Sun, Gauntlet of Power, Cabal Coffers, and Oracle of Mul Daya as potentially on-theme options, since they double mana or let you play twice as many lands.

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Now, the question is: Does it contain much needed high value reprints that the commander format is literally screaming for? (And no, I know it doesn't contain the fetches, pretty sure those are in Commander Legends)
Brace yourself for the slew of people crying about their collection "losing value".
Just kidding.
If the three cards spoiled are any indication of the quality of the reprints, then this will not be a dumpster fire like Masters 25... Tree of Redemption and both Akromas at mythic... Ugh...
Yet... it is still a little too early to say as Masters 25 also had Jace, the mind sculptor and Phyrexian Obliterator.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Atraxian wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Brace yourself for the slew of people crying about their collection "losing value".
Just kidding.
If the three cards spoiled are any indication of the quality of the reprints, then this will not be a dumpster fire like Masters 25... Tree of Redemption and both Akromas at mythic... Ugh...
Yet... it is still a little too early to say as Masters 25 also had Jace, the mind sculptor and Phyrexian Obliterator.
Those people can just shove off, that kind of jackasses are the reason we have the friggin reserved list.

As for the cards reprinted: Both Blightsteel Colossus and Doubling Season are in demand in commander, so it's a good start. But it is the number of needed reprints that matters, and if we only get these two, it's bad, really bad.

That said, I expect at least two planeswalker reprints, perhaps three. There are a few that are in high demand (and with high value) that could use a reprint, but honestly, what will make or break the set is the land reprints. There are a few, that while not high value, that are really in dire need of a reprint, and some of them could easily be put in the uncommon slot (Like Thran Quarry)
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

CommanderMaster999

Well now Kaalia of the Vast and Mana Crypt are also in this

From 5 cards this is the closet master set to a commander masters so far

And this will might a little but it's not lgs exclusive so that means these may be findable in target/walmart like iconic masters was

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

Oh man, I can't wait to pay the cost of a booster box for six packs. I'm over these Cadillac packs.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

CommanderMaster999

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
Oh man, I can't wait to pay the cost of a booster box for six packs. I'm over these Cadillac packs.
Whoa there cowboy

While it's likely due to no msrp that will happen again for packs (about 15.99ish)

But on mtgo price is 6.99 per pack if that's the price range is nearly identical for the physical version they finally matched the very first masters set

So there's a chance but it's slim knowing them

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

Ron Spencer! Scott M. Fischer!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
Whoa there cowboy

While it's likely due to no msrp that will happen again for packs (about 15.99ish)

But on mtgo price is 6.99 per pack if that's the price range is nearly identical for the physical version they finally matched the very first masters set

So there's a chance but it's slim knowing them
After Ultimate Masters, the only direction they're going to go is up. It's price on MTGO doesn't translate to paper. You can't seriously be holding out hope that a booster pack with 2 rares and 2 foils is going to be anywhere near $6.99.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Marquis
Spoiler Master

Post by Marquis » 3 years ago

Amazon has a booster box listed for $299.99

$35 for a 3 pack

16.50 for a single booster

So stores will be somewhere between 290-320 is my guess. If my memory serves me that was about the price for Ultimate Masters.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”