[IKO] Kathril and ability counters

RedCheese
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RedCheese » 4 years ago

A more versatile Soulflayer, thats really cool.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 4 years ago

Looks like a tracking nightmare, tbh

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

So, if i have all the 11 keywords in the graveyard, i can put all them on himself and also give him 11 +1/1 counters? And if i have another creature, i can give him 22 +1/+1 counters?

JoeyB11223

Post by JoeyB11223 » 4 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
So, if i have all the 11 keywords in the graveyard, i can put all them on himself and also give him 11 +1/1 counters? And if i have another creature, i can give him 22 +1/+1 counters?
I think you can place all counters on itself and give the +1 counters, however to me no matter how many creatures you have out, you can only distribute one of each ability counter, so you'll never get more than 11 +1/+1 counters. I don't know what happens if you have doubling season out say, creatures will get two flying counters etc, so I don't know if the wording of this card counts those and if you gave out 5 ability tokens, which doubles to 10 with season, this gets 10 counters? (well 20 with season ofc)

ilovesaprolings

JoeyB11223 wrote:
4 years ago
I think you can place all counters on itself and give the +1 counters, however to me no matter how many creatures you have out, you can only distribute one of each ability counter, so you'll never get more than 11 +1/+1 counters. I don't know what happens if you have doubling season out say, creatures will get two flying counters etc, so I don't know if the wording of this card counts those and if you gave out 5 ability tokens, which doubles to 10 with season, this gets 10 counters? (well 20 with season ofc)
Meh, not cool then. Doesn't work with tokens.
The optimal play will always be dump all the counter on him and voltron
I'm sad. it could have been the timmiest card ever

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
4 years ago
Looks like a tracking nightmare, tbh
That is pretty appropriate considering its creature type.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

BeneTleilax

Glad someone caught my pun. But seriously, seems like one of the more annoying voltron commanders if you can set him up. If you can set up your graveyard right, yay, you can kill someone with hasty evasive commander damage. If you don't, he eats removal and you just look stupid.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
4 years ago
Glad someone caught my pun. But seriously, seems like one of the more annoying voltron commanders if you can set him up. If you can set up your graveyard right, yay, you can kill someone with hasty evasive commander damage. If you don't, he eats removal and you just look stupid.
That is why you keep protection around to ensure he gets onto the battlefield and sticks around, and the three colors he is in excel at that.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Max Rebo
Husband of Serra
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Max Rebo » 4 years ago

Interesting,... haste is not on the list.

BeneTleilax

Max Rebo wrote:
4 years ago
Huh, I just skimmed the soup and assumed it was. It's better designed than I thought then

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
4 years ago
Max Rebo wrote:
4 years ago
Huh, I just skimmed the soup and assumed it was. It's better designed than I thought then
Going over the list, all the abilities are in color pie for those colors. And considering some of the abilities double up (first strike and double strike, reach and flying), there's some incentive to make sure you have other creatures to hand those abilities out to. There's definitely a bit of thought that went into this guy.

ilovesaprolings

Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
There's definitely a bit of thought that went into this guy.
Honestly i don't think so. The optimal choice is to give him all the counters 99% of the same. Shame for a "symbiotic swarm" commander. It just feel too much like Rayami

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
There's definitely a bit of thought that went into this guy.
Honestly i don't think so. The optimal choice is to give him all the counters 99% of the same. Shame for a "symbiotic swarm" commander. It just feel too much like Rayami
There's literally no point in stacking first strike and double strike, or flying and reach.

ilovesaprolings

Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
There's literally no point in stacking first strike and double strike, or flying and reach.
Wow, you give double strike and flying to your commander and first strike and reach to some other dude (if you even have it on the board... why should you try to get a board state with a commander like that). So much wow interesting gameplay! This completely change it, it's not a dumb voltorn anymore!

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
Going over the list, all the abilities are in color pie for those colors. And considering some of the abilities double up (first strike and double strike, reach and flying), there's some incentive to make sure you have other creatures to hand those abilities out to. There's definitely a bit of thought that went into this guy.
Funny how Rayami, First of the Fallen has double strike when none of the creatures in his color has it. Then again, he exiles other people's creatures too, unlike Kathril only does your own GY.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

JoeyB11223 wrote:
4 years ago
ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
Oh. Ooooh... Doubling Season doubles the ability counters (redundant since they both go on the same creature, but...) which means you get twice as many +1/+1 counters that get doubled as well. One Doubling Season quadruples the number of +1/+1 counters this gets. @.@

Melriken

Post by Melriken » 4 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
Wow, you give double strike and flying to your commander and first strike and reach to some other dude (if you even have it on the board... why should you try to get a board state with a commander like that). So much wow interesting gameplay! This completely change it, it's not a dumb voltorn anymore!
Or you put all the counters on Skullbriar, the Walking Grave

or you put all the counters on [any random creatures] and then sacrifice Kathril and use Reyhan, Last of the Abzan to save his +1/+1 counters then cast Kathril again... and again... and again... (Myth unbound, Mirage Mirror, and Food Chain can help with this)

It isn't that Kathril is ONLY a Voltron commander, just that Voltron is his most obvious use (and will be his most common).

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

This is gonna be a nightmare to track the counters but it's a cool card. I might build a commander deck around it

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

Maro said there were 13 different kinds of counters in Ikoria, right? Adding loyalty counters to the ones listed here gives us all 13.

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

When this thing EtBs do you get to know what they are targeting before you respond to the trigger or do they choose on resolution? The wording is "put" so I'm unsure. I think it's respond with no knowledge?

CalebLost
The Prince of the Ravens
Answers: 5

Post by CalebLost » 4 years ago

theMarc wrote:
4 years ago
Maro said there were 13 different kinds of counters in Ikoria, right? Adding loyalty counters to the ones listed here gives us all 13.
Maro talked about the standard set with that tease (in fact he named there is a card with a specific type of counters by itself), this card is from the C20 decks. Looking at the punch card for the counters in the boosters Indestructible it's not there
Current Duel Commander Decks
EnemyShard
MerenAlesha
Rashmi
Jhoira
Tajic

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

Arkmer wrote:
4 years ago
When this thing EtBs do you get to know what they are targeting before you respond to the trigger or do they choose on resolution? The wording is "put" so I'm unsure. I think it's respond with no knowledge?
It doesn't target, so the controller doesn't choose until the ability resolves. If someone kills it, or any other creature, in response, the controller can simply choose to put the counters on something else.

(The word "put" has no bearing on how this resolves. You'd "put" the counters regardless of if it targeted or not.)
CalebLost wrote:
4 years ago
theMarc wrote:
4 years ago
Maro talked about the standard set with that tease (in fact he named there is a card with a specific type of counters by itself), this card is from the C20 decks. Looking at the punch card for the counters in the boosters Indestructible it's not there
13 was the number he named, right? I'm remembering that correctly? So if we're not getting indestructible counters, then it would have to be something generic, like charge counters, that wouldn't have to be on the punch cards.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”