Mystery Booster Foils

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Celestial dawn as well

Knowing puzzle box is in there I feel like Fellwar stone is very very high probability as well, esp with the commentary on 8th/9th foil sbeing black bordered

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

That would be nice just because it is expensive. I am hoping for Crop Rotation. It sucks that everything on this sheet has had a foil printing in the past so we won't be getting any Commander cards without foil printing. I assume they are leaving some of those for the Commander Legends (or whatever it is called) product.

pokken

That old bordered conspiracy foil is siiiiiick.

pokken

No fellwar stone. Wow. Let's riot!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

Who picked these? I get that Chimney Imp is a funny MtG joke/meme at this point, but that doesn't make me want a foil one.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

ConstantMists

Post by ConstantMists » 4 years ago

Wow that list is terrible. I remember Maro saying that they know what people play and that they were making sure that the foil cards would be the ones that we play. I can honestly say that most of those cards have never seen the field of play in any game I have been in for the last 10 years.

Very disappointing.
Current Commander decks: Zurgo Helmsmasher - Borborgymos Enraged - Elenda, the Dusk Rose - Doran, the Seige Tower - Sliver Overlord - Yarok, the Desecrated - Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Hazoret the Fervent - Purphoros, God of the Forge - Gisela, Blade of Goldnight - Marath, Will of the Wild - Ramos, Dragon Engine - Ruhan of the Fomori - Narset, Enlightened Master - Kokusho, the Evening Star - Mizzix of the Izmagnus - Dragonsoul Knight (Pauper) - Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas (Precon)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
4 years ago

-snip-

Are all literally hits and played in commander and certain formats
That is literally less than a quarter of the cards.

Look, Storm Crow has been memetic since Ice Age, but that doesn't mean it is a good card, or even playable. A lot of the cards on the list made me go: Wait? What? and not in a good way. There were literally hundreds of better choices for cards to put in the foils, and that is discounting the cards already in the set.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

Not a single angel? Whelp... My wallet feels relieved.
On the other hand... Spike Feeder is in there, but Archangel of Thune is nowhere in the set?
Fail...
Then... One With Nothing gets a premium spot? Come on!
They even got the WRONG VERSION of foil Storm Crow... 7th Edition frames foil crows fetch quite a buck (even if it is just for the memes), but 9th edition go for a few cents a piece.
I was hoping for a 7th edition frame foil Serra Angel (those too fetch quite a nice amount), but nope... make room for Hornet Sting!

Some of the foil spots are nice, but... Meh...
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago

-snip-

Look, Storm Crow has been memetic since Ice Age, but that doesn't mean it is a good card, or even playable. A lot of the cards on the list made me go: Wait? What? and not in a good way. There were literally hundreds of better choices for cards to put in the foils, and that is discounting the cards already in the set.
And...

There's the other non foil cards that are hits in it

And it's like you know nothing about magic sets there's always gonna be junk hits in sets lots or little

And will everybody for once remember it's singles you aim for not packs

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago

-snip-

And...

There's the other non foil cards that are hits in it

And it's like you know nothing about magic sets there's always gonna be junk hits in sets lots or little

And will everybody for once remember it's singles you aim for not packs
All I am saying that some of the choices for the foils are questionable at best. Good thing I am buying the product for draft (as it is what it is intended for, and it looks like it could be fun), and not the foils. But there are literally thousands of cards they could have chosen that would have been better liked, heck some of them are common themselves.

But then again, that has always been the issue with the draft sets WotC makes, a lot of the choices are "too safe" if you understand my meaning. Storm Crow could easily have been Sea Sprite or Cloud of Faeries for example, heck, or even Winged Sliver There are literally a dozen better choices for the slot that people would have been stoked to see. Storm Crow is a feel bad card in a set that is all about nostalgia and hype. Nearly no one would be happy to open a foiled Storm Crow.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 4 years ago

I was a bit disappointed that non-foil variants of the Mystery Booster Foils aren't available in this product which means that the foils are going to be much harder to pull than the non-foils. Whether If that was intentional just for the draft experience I'm not sure. At least it will help lower the Secondary Market value of the original variants though probably not to the level of degree as the Collector's Edition sets where you're guaranteed 20+ Mythics per booster box.

Being able to have pulled a non-foil Intruder Alarm or Amulet of Vigor would've been nice. But no they had to only be available in foil because Wizards of the Coast is greedy. So unless you're guaranteed 1 foil per booster pack then it might not be a problem but If the pull rates for foils in Mystery Booster are razor thin then I can definitely see it as being a bigger cause for concern. It also would've been more convenient to release this product on a Friday or Saturday instead of a Sunday.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

Atraxian

Card Slinger J wrote:
4 years ago
So unless you're guaranteed 1 foil per booster pack then it might not be a problem but If the pull rates for foils in Mystery Booster are razor thin then I can definitely see it as being a bigger cause for concern. It also would've been more convenient to release this product on a Friday or Saturday instead of a Sunday.
The foils are replacing the "test cards" and I think there was 1 test card each pack. So there should be 1 foil each pack.
Angels Enthusiast

Pouncing Kavu

Post by Pouncing Kavu » 4 years ago

This list looks great to me. And I find it very hard to empathize with people who aren't delighted by Chimney Imp and Storm Crow. Not everything has to be about value. And if you do care about value, I still think this looks like a great list. I wouldn't be surprised if the average foil was like $10 (at least in its original printing), and you get one in every pack!?

Proteus

Post by Proteus » 4 years ago

Card Slinger J wrote:
4 years ago
Being able to have pulled a non-foil Intruder Alarm or Amulet of Vigor would've been nice. But no they had to only be available in foil because Wizards of the Coast is greedy. So unless you're guaranteed 1 foil per booster pack then it might not be a problem but If the pull rates for foils in Mystery Booster are razor thin then I can definitely see it as being a bigger cause for concern. It also would've been more convenient to release this product on a Friday or Saturday instead of a Sunday.
The release date for this IS a Friday, one week from now.
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
But then again, that has always been the issue with the draft sets WotC makes, a lot of the choices are "too safe" if you understand my meaning. Storm Crow could easily have been Sea Sprite or Cloud of Faeries for example, heck, or even Winged Sliver There are literally a dozen better choices for the slot that people would have been stoked to see. Storm Crow is a feel bad card in a set that is all about nostalgia and hype. Nearly no one would be happy to open a foiled Storm Crow.
You think Storm Crow and Chimney Imp won't hit some nostalgia buttons in some people?

Could there have been better choices? Sure. The packs could've also been $20+ each, too. But instead they're $6ish, with a very good chance of at the least making your money back.

I for one am happy with this. I hope it's an ongoing yearly product, preferably with a rotating list. This seems to be a very popular draft set, and a terrific way to get some reprints out into the wild, even if not all the cards are huge hits.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

No, you missunderstand me, I am absolutely delighted by the product. To such an extent that I preordered two boxes (for draft with friends obviously), I just question some of the choices made for the foils. The only reason Storm Crow made the cut is because it is a meme, nothing else.

That said, I will be absolutely happy with everything I open with one uncommon multicolor card as the sole exception, and that is because I already have a full playset of it (It's Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage), and the chance of opening that one is literally 1 in 121.

CrazyPierre
Jasmine Boreal is for real.

Post by CrazyPierre » 4 years ago

Oh man Lantern of Insight and Codex Shredder is some of the most fun I've ever had playing Magic. Having them in foil is a win, not a big win like Chimney Imp and Storm Crow, but damned nice.

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

To be fair about Storm Crow, the 7th Edition foil is $16. This is the only black border foil that will exist, which will absolutely raise the price.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

clariwench wrote:
4 years ago
To be fair about Storm Crow, the 7th Edition foil is $16. This is the only black border foil that will exist, which will absolutely raise the price.
All foils are black bordered, including 7th, 8th, and 9th edition foils. This will be the 4th black bordered foil to exist.

Atraxian

WizardMN wrote:
4 years ago
clariwench wrote:
4 years ago
All foils are black bordered, including 7th, 8th, and 9th edition foils. This will be the 4th black bordered foil to exist.
On the other hand, that's the only foil version with the old border.
That's pretty much why it costs so much. Same for 7th edition foil Serra Angel (if you don't count the promo with the original art).
Angels Enthusiast

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Well now this may get you guys second thinking about the choices of the cards uncommon/rare/mythic/foils
(But it won't)

Box prices at lgs's and online as of this Moment 103-115$ give or take so 1 boosters is about 4.30-5$ Rounded ofcoarse so yes same price as a regular old booster from a current standard set booster

With that price approximately 46% of the rares and mythics will pay for a booster that's almost a coin flip chance of getting a good pack and about 70 uncommon are within the 2$ range

The biggest thing is it is now confirmed that they will print the mystery boosters on demand aka unlimited print run

And finding it at Walmart and target esque stores...ain't gonna happen

As far as I'm concern scarcity on quite a bit of these cards and foils will be reduced

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”