DnD- Mythic Odysseys of Theros

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

Saw this had been leaked a few days ago and now its been confirmed and didn't see a thread here about it;
https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tablet ... eys-theros
Clash with the gods of Theros in this campaign sourcebook for the world's great roleplaying game.

The world's most popular roleplaying game meets the world's most popular trading card game in this campaign sourcebook, detailing the Magic: The Gathering world of Theros for use in Dungeons & Dragons.

Legends walk the lands of Theros, a realm shaped by deities and the deeds of heroes. From the temples of omen-speaking oracles to the five realms of the Underworld, the champions of the gods vie for immortal favor and a place among the world's living myths.

Choose a supernatural gift that sets you on the path of destiny, align yourself with one of Theros's fifteen gods, then carve a tale of odysseys and ordeals across the domains of mortals, gods, and the dead.

What legends will you challenge—mighty heroes, inevitable prophecies, or titans imprisoned by the gods? Where will destiny and immortal schemes lead you? And what tales will you leave behind, celebrated in the pantheon of myths and writ among the eternal stars?

-Introducing supernatural gifts—abilities that set your character apart from the common throng. Mechanically similar to character races, each one gives your character a variety of traits.

-Select one of the new races for your character—such mythic peoples as the leonin or a satyr.

-New subclasses include the Bard's College of Eloquence, masters of oratory; and the Paladin's Oath of Heroism, an affirmation of destiny laid out for you by divine providence.

-Encounter mythic monsters, creatures whose power and renown are such that their names are truly living myths. More than simply legendary, these creatures have abilities that will create a challenge fit for the gods.

-Wield god-weapons, signature items of the gods that allow your character to stand apart from other heroes. These can be a gift from your deity or perhaps you boldly stole it from them in a bid for ultimate power.
While I personal wanted at least an Eldraine planeshift, I think Theros is an awesome world for a DnD campaign.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

So... we will ever get planeshifts again or now it's just official guides?

TheMagicWord
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by TheMagicWord » 4 years ago

cool, I like these.
I remember the planeshifts but I dont know the difference between the two, remind me please.

edit:Oh right, looking at the link the planeshifts were free and this is a book we have to buy. blah
Check out EDH Magic Online Magic Videos
Check out my The MTG Word instagram for pictures of crazy edh boardstates

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 4 years ago

%$#% cashgrabs

5colorsrainbow

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
So... we will ever get planeshifts again or now it's just official guides?

I'm guessing guides, the plane shifts where made to semi-go along with the art books (they realized the art books are great as campaign books), for the people that been asking for the cross over and IMO test to see if it would be popular enough to make a full guide to sell with. Since (as far as I'm aware) the Ravnica one is selling well, I'm betting on the plane shifts going away or being saved for newer planes or for planes that they might not wanna do the full DnD treatment if we get them.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

TheMagicWord wrote:
4 years ago
cool, I like these.
I remember the planeshifts but I dont know the difference between the two, remind me please.

edit:Oh right, looking at the link the planeshifts were free and this is a book we have to buy. blah
The books are fully fleshed out campaign settings though, unlike the planeshifts which were pretty minimal.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
4 years ago
I'm guessing guides, the plane shifts where made to semi-go along with the art books (they realized the art books are great as campaign books), for the people that been asking for the cross over and IMO test to see if it would be popular enough to make a full guide to sell with. Since (as far as I'm aware) the Ravnica one is selling well, I'm betting on the plane shifts going away or being saved for newer planes or for planes that they might not wanna do the full DnD treatment if we get them.
So we missed Eldraine forever and the same will probably happen to Ikoria?

5colorsrainbow

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
5colorsrainbow wrote:
4 years ago
So we missed Eldraine forever and the same will probably happen to Ikoria?
Honest I can't guess. WoTC hasn't awful at communicating to us, the planes shifts and art book where never "officially" cancelled and just assumed to be and yet we are getting a Art book for War of the Spark. James Wyatt (creative member and worked for both side of the company with DnD and Mtg) had said on twitter that Theros was the most requested world for a DnD, so not certain if this was a one time event or what.

EDIT:

So Dragon+ has an interview with James Wyatt with more info (I'm just summarizing/focusing on what I'm interested);
https://dnd.dragonmag.com/2020/02/20/in ... ntent.html

-There will be map, some focused on the gods with a temple of Atheros that is split into two parts by the river with one half being on the mortal shore and the other side in the underworld.

-Forge and Grave domains cleric subclasses are being featured as well for cleric of Purphrose, Erebos and Atheros.

-A devotion mechanic that rewards/restricts you for following a god, in the vein on Renown on Ravnica.

-The supernatural gifts are
"Everyone gets this extra leg up that is a gift of the gods, which is separate from the usual character background. It may be a magical thing about your nature, such as you have the mind of a sphinx and your thoughts can't be read. Or you might be an oracle, which is an opportunity for your Dungeon Master to give you plenty of adventure hooks. It's a straight power-up but not a huge power-up," Wyatt reveals.
-The featured races are humans, minotaurs (which will be re-printed from Ravnica), Centaurs (ravnica reprint), merfolk (triton reprint from Volo's Guide) and the new races of leonin and satyrs. Shame no gorgon/medusa imo.

-Leonin seems to be more strength based as guessed and satyrs are good with dexterity and charisma and are great bards.

-Mythic monsters are comparable to boss fights. Arasta of the Endless Web will show up as one.

-Lots of new art.

palaguin
God of Penguins

Post by palaguin » 4 years ago

I have been avoiding buying WotC stuff, but I have already preordered this book.

I'd love to see Mirrodin (pre-Phyrexian) as a setting. It is the most unique of all MtG settings.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I really like how they're adding Magic worlds to DnD. Since WotC makes both games, it feels like it's such an easy thing to do to bring in crowds of both games

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”