Secret Lair: Beyond The Helvault

TheMagicWord
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by TheMagicWord » 4 years ago

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2020-02-28

I wish I wasn't posting this lol! There is some info about the mtg arena drop but I'm looking at the paper cards that will be available in a new secret lair.

Interesting to note this secret lair is being advertised before the last one they advertised has gone on sale, which I believe is the first time they've done that.
Check out EDH Magic Online Magic Videos
Check out my The MTG Word instagram for pictures of crazy edh boardstates

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

So the leaks were accurate.
I'm pretty surprised by the 30$ pricetag, to be honest. With Thalia going atound 70€ for a foil playset on mkm, I would have expected at least 50$ for the SL.

Don't need the cards, already gave up on Arena, don't like how WotC is managing the Secret Lairs as a product and their lack of quality check for products in general.

For how much I love the two artists they chose, I still am not going to buy it.
I'll just wait for the authors to release a digital image of the card art with a decent resolution.

This said, the version of Thalia impaling the Eldrazi using Avacyn's moonsilver spear is really something.
The flavour text of the card where she is facing away from the Helvault getting destroyed is a complete miss and has nothing to do with the actual event portrayed by the art.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Alternative art is one of SL's selling point, so why draw all four of them with such blend style? Given Innistrad's theme, there are so many horror/religious style to mirror after.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

The called it Beyond the Helvault and I expected a lot of cool Innistrad stuff. I actually thought to myself, "Self, this may be the one that forces you to cave, abandon your moral code of LGS loyalty. Just this once...probably." Instead, I got four Thalias with tame art, so yet again:

I think I'll just support my LGS instead.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

hyalopterouslemur
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

It's not even the fact that they're all the same card, that was kind of cute back in the day so much as the alt art being...basically the same. Have the mad nihilist Thalia, the pious guardian Thalia, the penitent Thalia...
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

Yeah, it really feels like the flavor text on the two versions illustrated by Magali Villeneuve were swapped by accident.

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

$30 is an astoundingly great price for this! The art is gorgeous, too. I know so many people who are ecstatic and definitely buying it. Wizards keeps knocking it out of the park with these.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

clariwench wrote:
4 years ago
$30 is an astoundingly great price for this! The art is gorgeous, too. I know so many people who are ecstatic and definitely buying it. Wizards keeps knocking it out of the park with these.
How do I downvote a post?

Tbh this one annoys me less than most since it's targeting modern players instead of commander players for once. But this release schedule makes me want to hurl.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Tbh this one annoys me less than most since it's targeting modern players instead of commander players for once.
The only reason why this is 30$ and not 50$. They probably think commander player are the biggest whales.

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 4 years ago

theMarc wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah, it really feels like the flavor text on the two versions illustrated by Magali Villeneuve were swapped by accident.
Because Eldrazi are angels? You do not make sense.
DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
How do I downvote a post?
You don't, because people are allowed to have different opinions than you without being punished for it.

I'm not a fan of the Secret Lair line of product, but these arts are nice and the cards are fine.

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

pierreb wrote:
4 years ago
theMarc wrote:
4 years ago
Because Eldrazi are angels? You do not make sense.
The angels got eldrazified in Eldritch Moon. Do you not remember the entire plot of SOI block? The one where she's standing in front of the Helvault is clearly depicting the very end of Dark Ascension, yet the flavor text is clearly from the events of Shadows Over Innistrad.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

pierreb wrote:
4 years ago
You don't, because people are allowed to have different opinions than you without being punished for it.
1) it was obviously a joke. I'm very aware there has never been a downvote option on these forums or on sally.
2) calling getting downvoted a punishment seems a bit ridiculous
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

I remember hymn to tourach had four art. They decided to do it with Thalia as well.

fortunately, none of my modern decks use thalia.. so I don't have to spend extra money on these.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”