Secret Lair: International Women's Day

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
It's the perfect business move. You can't actually complain about the 50$ price tag because thanks to charity "it's only 25$".
I'd like to say judos to wizard for doing charity, but i know this is actually just a business to see if people are willing to spend 50$ on a secret lair and, if they do, we'll another secret with 50$ price tag and no charity attached to it.
Ok, that's some plausible cynicism. They do a mix of 30/40 at first to see if people care, then they slowly ratchet up the prices.

Goddammit, capitalism.

Please, if there is a god and there's probably not...don't let them put commander-targeted exclusives in this canker of a product. If I have to buy this crap I'll probably end up going mad and living in the forest just to hide from the product deluge. Amen.
Dude these ladies are commander cards there all good pilots for edh decks and Sisay is also good in the 99 if legendary focused

hyalopterouslemur
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
It's the perfect business move. You can't actually complain about the 50$ price tag because thanks to charity "it's only 25$".
I'd like to say judos to wizard for doing charity, but i know this is actually just a business to see if people are willing to spend 50$ on a secret lair and, if they do, we'll another secret with 50$ price tag and no charity attached to it.
Ok, that's some plausible cynicism. They do a mix of 30/40 at first to see if people care, then they slowly ratchet up the prices.

Goddammit, capitalism.

Please, if there is a god and there's probably not...don't let them put commander-targeted exclusives in this canker of a product. If I have to buy this crap I'll probably end up going mad and living in the forest just to hide from the product deluge. Amen.
No exclusives, just Sisay, Oona, Narset, Meren, and Saskia. So, yeah, a lot of good commanders.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
No exclusives, just Sisay, Oona, Narset, Meren, and Saskia. So, yeah, a lot of good commanders.
I think it was about putting exclusives in future ones.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

I was hoping they'd draw these women in different style than the typical "modern" MtG art style. I was also hoping for more than just "kick ass" qualities, such as Tamiyo (motherhood), Jhoira (ingenuity), Liliana (independence), Alesha (she IS a woman), Hazoret (godhood and patron to orphans), etc.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago

Goddammit, capitalism.

Impossible it's all reprints in secret lair not new cards

Atraxian

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
4 years ago
Impossible it's all reprints in secret lair not new cards
For now.
Angels Enthusiast

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

They made some great choices here. I do wish that the sleeve was Narset, but all of the art is very nice. My bf is definitely picking up Oona later and maybe Narset.
first and foremost i would like to hear from actual female players if this is cool or not.
I am not a "rah rah girl power" type of feminist, so I just really don't care. It's nice that they're donating to charity. If someone's offended by International Women's Day existing, though, they're probably not someone I want to associate with. I think it would be excellent if they did an International Men's Day drop and donated to a male focused charity, as well. That's the kind of equality I support!
first things, the cards they picked are booo. why not all female planeswalkers with alternate diverse art?
How about making new diverse characters instead of temporarily making existing characters "diverse" for the sake of diversity in art? That would be the height of tokenism.

Also, if someone feels so compelled to buy all of these that they're as distressed about these existing as some people make themselves out to be on social media lately, they need to seek help. No one has to buy every luxury product. You can want a product and acknowledge that you shouldn't buy it because you'll survive without it... That's part of being an adult.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

TheMagicWord

Post by TheMagicWord » 4 years ago

clariwench wrote:
4 years ago
first things, the cards they picked are booo. why not all female planeswalkers with alternate diverse art?
How about making new diverse characters instead of temporarily making existing characters "diverse" for the sake of diversity in art? That would be the height of tokenism.
Is this something they did with this or another product?
Check out EDH Magic Online Magic Videos
Check out my The MTG Word instagram for pictures of crazy edh boardstates

Atraxian

clariwench wrote:
4 years ago
Giving the benefit of the doubt here by interpreting "diverse art" as "different from the MtG unified art style" like they did for the kittens, the rats, the goblins in previous Secret Lairs, all of the showcase adventure spells from Eldraine and the japanese war of the spark planeswalkers. God, I would love to have a print of that Liliana art.
Angels Enthusiast

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

It's on sale now!
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”