Secret Lair: International Women's Day

TheMagicWord
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by TheMagicWord » 4 years ago

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2020-02-25

More Secret Lair coming. I really didn't anticipate seeing this much product through this avenue.

The product itself looks decent. Some of these cards are pretty pricey already.
Check out EDH Magic Online Magic Videos
Check out my The MTG Word instagram for pictures of crazy edh boardstates

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Oh for peak sakes

How many of these did they get ready before releasing

This is way to fast

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

Cards themselves are nice, but...
They are really trying to find any kind of excuse to push these overpriced products aren't they? At the same time they are trying to score woke points.
Pretty pathetic.
EDIT: they are even trying to guilty trick you into giving your money to a charity you might not even care about in the slightest.
Moreover, if they are giving half of the money to the charity it means that they are planning to still cut a pretty decent profit from this. Which means they aren't even slightly interested in the charity, they just put it there for PR and to boost sales.

So... Let's see if they will make "international man's day" Secret Lair in November. With may be a donation to associations that do research on things like testicular or prostate cancer...
Really doubt it... Imbecils on Reddit would call them all the kinds of "-ist" in the book if they did.
They will probably skip it for "transgender remembrance day" Secret Lair and score even more woke points.

If this scores me a warning, then so be it.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

first and foremost i would like to hear from actual female players if this is cool or not.

first things, the cards they picked are booo. why not all female planeswalkers with alternate diverse art?

and i love the ladies, but this is :( considering the available options)

mother of runes with alt art even??

Atraxian

I think the choice of cards was aimed at Commander players who want to pimp out their head Commander.

Planeswalkers and random non-legendaries wouldn't have cut it.
Angels Enthusiast

Simto

Post by Simto » 4 years ago

That Narset looks dope

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Welp, they finally offered a Secret Lair I am slightly interested in. The price is a bit steep though. We'll see if I get one, the 25$ donation to a good cause for each unit sold is pretty cool though.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

FenrirRex
Answers: 1

Post by FenrirRex » 4 years ago

$25 to a good cause and "$25" for some solid Commander cards. I dislike the Secret Lair business model but this is a pricepoint I can agree with and a cause definitely worth giving to. I purchased the My Little Pony crossover for similar reasons- we vote with our wallet so I'm in for any premium product that's charitable.

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 4 years ago

I don't get how these lair get prices. Sometimes, it 29.99, sometimes 39.99. Now this one is 49.99, which kinda cheapen the 25$ donation. Sure, I'll give money to charity too if you pay me more.

Max Rebo
Husband of Serra

Post by Max Rebo » 4 years ago

I like the cards, I guess I like the charitable aspect, I am ….indifferent? on the agenda of it. Box Toppers are kinda cool. Trying to rationalize $25 for the charity and $25 for the product feels slightly dirty.
Secret Lairs themselves. I appears? they are here to stay and will be fairly regular. I could see at least a dozen or so with multiple drop and single drops mixed in. Bonus to continue in the future?? idk they don't say either way so they may do whatever they want.
Probably still pass though just from fatigue, not necessarily the wallet, just the inundation of product is crazy right now.

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
I think the choice of cards was aimed at Commander players who want to pimp out their head Commander.

Planeswalkers and random non-legendaries wouldn't have cut it.
this makes sense. . .and with that (as the sharks say) im out

Couver

Post by Couver » 4 years ago

These are nice!

I already went all in on the Theros gods so I'll have to skip this. But I do like that they are putting things out that appeal to different sections of the MTG community. Obviously there are collectors that will be forced to get them all. But for the average person you can pick and choose what if any to get.

The charitable side of this one is great. Hopefully they tie more of the Lairs into other charities and days of celebration. I'm actually surprised they didn't do something for Black History month actually.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

Holy hell these things are coming out frequently. WotC feels more like a predatory game company every day, trying to hook those whales and milk them for everything they've got. And you've gotta love how deliberately they're targeting commander players with the lack of planeswalkers or nonlegendaries. Really makes me nostalgic for that little window between 2009-2011 when commander was a popular format that wotc didn't try to extract money from with the subtlety of exxon mobile drilling for oil.

I remain in annoyed status until they put exclusives in these, at which point my status will update to enraged.
Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
Moreover, if they are giving half of the money to the charity it means that they are planning to still cut a pretty decent profit from this. Which means they aren't even slightly interested in the charity, they just put it there for PR and to boost sales.
I'm not going to bother to address the rest of your post, but this is really some pretty tortured logic.

Basically your logic is:
if they're giving away money, they're still making a profit
if they're making a profit, they don't care about the charity
therefore, if they give money to charity, they don't care about the charity

Under this logic, how exactly would it even be possible to prove that they care about the charity? Do they have to give away 100% of the profits?

If they were giving some piddly amount, like 5% to charity or something, I'd maybe see your point, but half? It seems very unlikely that the boost they'll get from people buying to support the charity will double the number of sales.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Atraxian

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Under this logic, how exactly would it even be possible to prove that they care about the charity? Do they have to give away 100% of the profits?
Take a fixed amount of money from their quarterly revenue and donate and/or decide a fixed minimum amount to donate no matter how much money you get from the sales.
Not relating it to any single specific prduct you can buy for only 1 day and from which they plan to get an astronomically high monetary return anyway and at the same time rise the maximum amount you can buy from 10 to 15.

Moreover if they don't plan to donate a substantial amount no matter the sales it means that they can crap on their playerbase for not being charitable if the donated amount isn't remarkable.

Then as a final point, for proft companies donating to charities is always motivated by PR, same way as championing political issues is. WotC, like Blizzard or Apple is one of those companies who wouldn't shy away from making business with WW2 Germany if it meant making a boatload of money.
Everything "moral" and "good" and "charitable" they do is solely motivated by a monetary return.
Angels Enthusiast

DirkGently

Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Take a fixed amount of money from their quarterly revenue and donate and/or decide a fixed minimum amount to donate no matter how much money you get from the sales.
Not relating it to any single specific prduct you can buy for only 1 day and from which they plan to get an astronomically high monetary return anyway and at the same time rise the maximum amount you can buy from 10 to 15.

Moreover if they don't plan to donate a substantial amount no matter the sales it means that they can crap on their playerbase for not being charitable if the donated amount isn't remarkable.

Then as a final point, for proft companies donating to charities is always motivated by PR, same way as championing political issues is. WotC, like Blizzard or Apple is one of those companies who wouldn't shy away from making business with WW2 Germany if it meant making a boatload of money.
Everything "moral" and "good" and "charitable" they do is solely motivated by a monetary return.
I think you're asking for a bit much. WotC is a company, and with some definitely questionable practices. Let's be honest - secret lairs and theme boosters are the current obnoxious BS, but the whole concept of a booster pack, with randomized benefits that have a major impact on how strong you can make your deck, is a pretty predatory concept from the get-go - that's pretty much exactly what the worst kind of loot boxes are (although at least you can trade, buy singles, and sell cards since they're a physical item). So I'm not trying to say WotC is squeaky clean here or that profit isn't a very important part of their calculations.

But I think it would be disingenuous to say that people at WotC don't genuinely care about the charity they're raising money for, or that there aren't individuals within the company who want to do something good. A company isn't going to be unanimous in its motivation - I'm sure there are people at wotc (or even moreso hasbro) who don't really give a rat's ass about the charity but see it as a tax write off/method to boost sales (albeit most likely at an overall loss)/way to keep some whiny employees happy, or whatever. But I think it's very likely that there are people in WotC who really wanted to make this happen out of a genuine desire to do good, and saw using their job as a way to do that good. It's not really fair to say that everyone involved is just doing this for purely profit-motivated reasons. Especially when it's a pretty high percentage of the profits, as it is.

And by the same token, WotC isn't a charity. There are undoubtedly people who would be happy to make no money on a product to support the charity, there's probably bosses who want to keep morale high by doing something positive and aren't too worried what it is (while the company engages in annoying shady business practices such as secret lairs represent), but there's also people who don't care about the charity or the employees and only want to appease shareholders, and it's pretty hard to fight against that when that is, unfortunately, the goal of a corporation under capitalism. So, a compromise has been made. And honestly, without knowing what's going on inside the company, it looks like a pretty good compromise to me for the people who care about the charity. They're probably raising a lot of money for it. Seems kinda mean spirited to dump on their efforts just because some people don't care, or are doing it for other reasons. A company is not one mind. There are good and bad elements within it, and it does no one any good to pretend it's a monolith.

The bit about crapping on the playerbase seems like a total fantasy. I can't imagine wotc publicly blaming their players for the poor performance of a charity drive product. If they've ever done anything like this before lmk, but I'd be surprised if even an individual was that tone-deaf, let alone any kind of intentional publicity from wotc. What would even be the point? Who would they be trying to absolve themselves to, if not the playerbase themselves? It's a funny image, though, I'll give you that.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Atraxian

I admit I was a bit uncharitable (pun not intended) towards WotC.
It is just that every time a for profit organization tries to sell products attaching a charity to them it rubs me the wrong way.

About WotC crapping on the playerbase, it is not something direct, but them indirectly endorsing outlets like The Mary Sue (they gave them Vivien Reid as a preview card): that for example is an outlet that constantly disparages potentially half of the population (by extension the playerbase) based on political leaning and between most to half based on gender and skin color.
Angels Enthusiast

DirkGently

Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
About WotC crapping on the playerbase, it is not something direct, but them indirectly endorsing outlets like The Mary Sue (they gave them Vivien Reid as a preview card): that for example is an outlet that constantly disparages potentially half of the playerbase based on political leaning and between most to half of the playerbase based on gender and skin color.
That seems like a bit of a leap to me. Someone getting a preview card doesn't imply that they're in perfect agreement with everything wotc stands for.

Granted, WotC's politics do consistently skew left, but if anything that, imo, indicates that those views are genuine perspective of the people within the company rather than a ploy to drain more money out of people. They've definitely lost customers by sticking to their guns, politically (cue desolator magic and mtg lion howling in impotent rage from the sidelines), and probably not gained much. I mean, someone might be hoodwinked into watching the tedious car crash that was ghostbusters 2016 based on some underhanded advertising that tried to appeal to liberal sensibilities, but nobody is going to keep playing a card game for decades just because the company agrees with their politics.

For an example from the opposite side of the fence, take chick fil a. Now, I disagree very strongly with their politics, but when they say something I disagree with, I don't think it's because they're trying to make a profit, I think it's because they genuinely believe it, because they're very consistent and don't make any effort to appeal politically to people who disagree with them. I don't agree with them, but I can at least respect their honesty.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Atraxian

If you take into account that WotC is pretty eager to cut off people who have a small disagreement with them or are guilty of making an unsavoury joke or making unsavoury comments online, or not saying anything official against the wokemob who attacked long time MtG artist Terese Nielsen, giving a preview card to a politically engaged outlet sounds like an official endorsement of the politics pushed by said outlet.

Not saying there aren't nuances on the matter or employees that actually believe in that (and are turning a game company into a political outlet, which is bad no matter the political leaning).
In the end, I like the game, but not necessarily the ideas or actions of people behind it.

Sorry I derailed the conversation a bit too much. Better if I keep my next comments strictly on the product and how it is marketed before getting reprimanded by mods.
Agree to disagree on the matter?
Angels Enthusiast

DirkGently

Now I'm just kind of confused, because you started off by saying that their politics were a cynical lie to get more $$$, and now you're saying that WotC is too reactionary and quick to cut people off based on the genuine political beliefs of people in the company. Which is it, are they being genuine or not?

But I'm happy to stop talking about it. At least we can agree that secret lairs are some loot box crap that makes WotC look increasingly desperate, as well as manipulative in its business practices.

Remember when new cards getting spoiled was exciting? When you'd count down the days until spoiler season? Now it seems like twice a week there's some new product, and it's a coin flip whether it'll be cosmetic upgrade crap I can ignore, or some exclusive I'll have to track down for my commander collection like a miserable fetch quest that never ends.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Atraxian

From time to time I still get excited about spoiler season (more so a wile ago before I gave up on Arena), especially if there is a chance I can add something to my angels collection, but a constant stream of product announcements spoils that a little.
It is like on the hype train for the ride to start and getting pestered by peddlers every 5 minutes.

You might not want to miss on something you might want/like/need but distracts you from the journey and leaves you with the question: "how many more of them do I have to go through before the train starts or my wallet empties?"
Angels Enthusiast

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

pierreb wrote:
4 years ago
I don't get how these lair get prices. Sometimes, it 29.99, sometimes 39.99. Now this one is 49.99, which kinda cheapen the 25$ donation. Sure, I'll give money to charity too if you pay me more.
It's the perfect business move. You can't actually complain about the 50$ price tag because thanks to charity "it's only 25$".
I'd like to say judos to wizard for doing charity, but i know this is actually just a business to see if people are willing to spend 50$ on a secret lair and, if they do, we'll another secret with 50$ price tag and no charity attached to it.

Proteus

Post by Proteus » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
I'm not going to bother to address the rest of your post, but this is really some pretty tortured logic.

Basically your logic is:
if they're giving away money, they're still making a profit
if they're making a profit, they don't care about the charity
therefore, if they give money to charity, they don't care about the charity

If they were giving some piddly amount, like 5% to charity or something, I'd maybe see your point, but half? It seems very unlikely that the boost they'll get from people buying to support the charity will double the number of sales.
Just gonna point out that Bitterblossom Dreams also had five cards and only cost $30. Year Of The Rat had eight foils and only cost $40. I think the charitable donation aspect would be more impressive, for lack of a better word, if the price hadn't increased to cover part?/all? of it.

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 4 years ago

Proteus wrote:
4 years ago
Just gonna point out that Bitterblossom Dreams also had five cards and only cost $30. Year Of The Rat had eight foils and only cost $40. I think the charitable donation aspect would be more impressive, for lack of a better word, if the price hadn't increased to cover part?/all? of it.
For more data points, Theros Stargazing offered 3 cards for $40.

TheMagicWord

Post by TheMagicWord » 4 years ago

I showed this to my wife who plays with me but doesn't know who any of these characters are or that some of these cards are already expensive and she said it was "really cool".

I am reminded of the controversy with FB's "donations" where you would give them money, then they donate it and get to write it off. Similar to this, when you buy this you are not donating $25 to the charity and spending $25 on cards. You are giving WOTC $50, and they get to donate a portion of that money. Not that I care really, and that won't affect whether I get this or not, but it was a point a few were bringing up earlier in the thread.
Check out EDH Magic Online Magic Videos
Check out my The MTG Word instagram for pictures of crazy edh boardstates

DirkGently

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
It's the perfect business move. You can't actually complain about the 50$ price tag because thanks to charity "it's only 25$".
I'd like to say judos to wizard for doing charity, but i know this is actually just a business to see if people are willing to spend 50$ on a secret lair and, if they do, we'll another secret with 50$ price tag and no charity attached to it.
Ok, that's some plausible cynicism. They do a mix of 30/40 at first to see if people care, then they slowly ratchet up the prices.

Goddammit, capitalism.

Please, if there is a god and there's probably not...don't let them put commander-targeted exclusives in this canker of a product. If I have to buy this crap I'll probably end up going mad and living in the forest just to hide from the product deluge. Amen.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”