[THB] Full Gallery is up

Maluko
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Maluko » 4 years ago

After all the talk about black finally being allowed to remove enchantments, I was surprised for not having seen yet more of these effects in a set about enchantments. I'm glad Pharika's Libation came late rather than never. For one extra mana, it offers more control over what gets sacrificed than Mire in Misery, and is an instant! Too bad it doesn't affect all opponents, but I'm reassured now this will be a trend, even if uncommon.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

The newer, more aggressive spoiler season means there are rarely any diamonds in the last day dump but this set is an exception it seems, and that bodes well for its power level. A few standouts to me this time are...

The Birth of Meletis: I don't recall seeing this, and it seems incredible - I'm eager to play a Wall of Omens that always draws a plains in many decks. The two life and enchantress synergy is very relevant gravy but I'm in on the first two chapters alone.

Dreadful Apathy: That's a very black card name. This will be extremely good in limited, slowing opponents roll and then giving an option to Exile later if they find enchantment removal or have some nasty abilities on the target.

Flicker of Fate: I believe this is a first and is the cheapest way ever to flicker an enchantment. Also notable is that this targets anyone's stuff, letting you mess with targeting. I doubt that makes it in most formats anyways, but I've got my eye on this for limited and for Pauper especially in a format with Sagas.

Karametra's Blessing: This also gets a look for Pauper, as this is a solid pump that triggers heroic AND completely wrecks opposing removal in Heroic/Aura decks. Seems really good.

Sentinel's Eyes: Wow, this is no Rancor but it feels very close. That's a spicy meatball of value for Pauper, Limited, and possibly even Pioneer and Commander.

Chain to Memory: This probably doesn't see play anywhere, but we've come a long way and this is probably as pushed as a Shrink effect can be to still not see play.

Medomai's Prophecy: I don't recall seeing this either. It's VERRRY SLOOOOOWWWW, but "Scry 2, Draw 2, and look at the top card of each player's library" for two is pretty powerful - that's not far off from Ancestral Visions levels of power to be honest, and this is a little more immediate and more easily mussed with. IF the format is slow enough, I can see this seeing play.

Funeral Rites: I prefer Read the Bones and Notion Rain but this is arguably better in this format.

Pharika's Libation: 3 is a lot, but this is still relevant in Commander for giving black more ways to nuke enchantments. This is an instant and offers better fine control; I think it'll be the staple that Mire in Misery hasn't been while we wait for them to REALLY push the power envelop on this effect.

Skola Grovedancer: <Laughs in The Gitrog Monster>

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

Kinda enjoyed seeing the anti-deathtouch tech in Mirror Shield. Overall, lots of interesting cards and it will be fun to see how they shake things up.
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

The N82O Molecule
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

I like how they try to solve the 2-4-1 on auras. sentinel's eyes for example, many others.

escape is really talking to me.

art looks really good, so far id say they did Theros good.

and im super excited that Ashiok left to seek phyrexia!!! even though phyrexia doesn't need another "dimir" walker. . .well maybe they do.

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 4 years ago

Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
Kinda enjoyed seeing the anti-deathtouch tech in Mirror Shield. Overall, lots of interesting cards and it will be fun to see how they shake things up.
Ugh. That card reads "my limited bomb is unkillable, deal with it"

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

Maluko wrote:
4 years ago
Pharika's Libation
The art in this and so many cards is so amazing.
I only just noticed this one though. I love that the minor gods still got cameos on various spells. Man I love the Theros gods

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”