[THB] Agonizing Remorse

Marquis
Spoiler Master
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Marquis » 4 years ago

Exile is important. If you were playing thought erasure, you're probably playing this instead.

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

Well... It's not Thoughtseize.

Think this will be as important in Standard as in original Theros? Thought Erasure forces you into Blue, is the difference enough?
Last edited by Arkmer 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

Not needing two different colored mana is important too. I might play a split between this and erasure, because there are times the surveil is important.
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Should their hand be trash, that GY hate part is nice. I still have not coughed up for a Thoughtseize for EDH, so this card might do for a while.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Mapccu

Post by Mapccu » 4 years ago

Exile is pretty relevant, as it can hit the titans on the front end if you fire it off fast enough and save yourself some hassle. It's not dead late game because I think every color has a decent escape card honestly. The 1 life isn't really a huge deal imho. There is a lot of lifegain floating around.

It's splashable, which is also a huge upside. Now decks can be XB or XXb and still run this in the side to deal with problematic things.

I don't think it's fatal push levels of silly, but the card does look like a workhorse (not a finisher, removal, ramp, dig spell but integral to making it past rounds 4-5 in standard).

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

Such beautiful and captivating art I really admire this artist. I hope he has more commissions in the set. Even though I cannot use this card in Commander I plan to pick up a copy for the art alone

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Seems solid for standard - it's been a minute since we've had access to this effect under 3 CMC in monocolor without some sort of drawback (Lay Bare the Heart and Transgress the Mind have limited targets, Thought Erasure surveils but also requires two colors, Drill Bit is exceptionally strong when it works but highly deck, metagame, match-up, and draw dependent).

Exile and being able to hit the 'yard if nothing excites you in hand are also both big deals. If the format is slow enough, I expect this to be a workhorse in Standard and a hopeful in Pioneer (i.e. the two formats where this isn't competing with Thoughtseize).

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 4 years ago

Thoughtseize is legal in pioneer, before anyone gets confused.

The card name is spot on: remorse to not reprint thoughtseize...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”