Marquis
Spoiler Master
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Marquis » 4 years ago

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

Would not have guessed mono-green for the last mythic....

It seems....okay? More a win more card. Granted I'm not the best at evaluating green cards (don't play them much) so I could be way off base here.

EDIT: will admit I misread it, thought it said twice not triple. Good card, still feels win more but lets you fuel game ending X spells easier.
Last edited by Dusk 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 4 years ago

Ridunkulous!

I want to play this with other mana doubler and tron lands, just because

TheMagicWord

Post by TheMagicWord » 4 years ago

This is such a wacky and cool card. Love it!

I feel like if you got this in foil you might blind yourself.
Check out EDH Magic Online Magic Videos
Check out my The MTG Word instagram for pictures of crazy edh boardstates

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

I look forward to these showing up in green decks so Chainer can steal them.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

And into my horde of notions deck you go

That will give my commander 3 activations

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

My Zacama deck got an upgrade for sure :)

sexymsjackson23

Post by sexymsjackson23 » 4 years ago

Straight into my hydra commander.

Drusus

Post by Drusus » 4 years ago

Wilderness Reclamation decks got something new to play with.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 4 years ago

There's better 7 drops for Mono Green EDH particularly Avenger of Zendikar which curves nicely into Craterhoof Behemoth to help close out games. Late game you'd want more value out of your creatures than mana unless you deliberately plan on winning with Helix Pinnacle. If anything Nyxbloom Ancient lends itself more to spot removal while relying too much on asymmetrical abilities to properly function.

Seedborn Muse is the obvious choice since you can potentially tap your lands for triple the amount during your opponents' turns If you're lucky. If Nyxbloom Ancient was a 5 drop it'd arguably be on par with Paradox Engine but as it is, it's not as strong as everyone is making it out to be. I can definitely see this being a busted card in multi-color EDH decks but as for Mono Green deck space is tight enough as it is.
Last edited by Card Slinger J 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

And Maelstrom Wanderer elemental lands gains a new toy. Huzzah. Tapping cradle for 30 seems legit.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 4 years ago

On a side note, how quickly will this card get banned in EDH / Commander?
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

lyonhaert

It won't.

Kinda wish folk would stop pressing that button.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

That's some awful Innistrad worthy art right there

gilrad

Post by gilrad » 4 years ago

Not likely to get banned, most of Those Cards (the ones that everybody plays, and those that aren't playing them are stealing or copying them and everybody is just happy for them to go to the exile zone so we can go back to playing some regular freakin' magic!) end up having lasting effects that persist after a Perilous vault pops, rewarding those who joined in the shenanigans and punishing the players who couldn't.

In the commander metas that the RC cares about, this is basically a must-kill 9 or 10-drop mana doubler that allows you to follow up with something relevant to the board without having to wait until you untap.

That's still really, really strong and kinda uncharted territory, so it might just pass the above threshold simply because it give near-unlimited mana to any well-developed game.

lyonhaert

gilrad wrote:
4 years ago
That's still really, really strong and kinda uncharted territory, so it might just pass the above threshold simply because it gives near-unlimited mana to any well-developed game.
...which is a sign it was close to getting over with anyway.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 4 years ago

This might be the card that gets Nissa banned from Standard. Turn 3 Nissa, playing this on Turn 4, plus Nissa to untap a Forest and add GGGGGG, use four to cast The Great Henge, and being able to add another GGGGGG? That is Christmasland, yes, but... this kind of nonsense has been known to occur.

Mayael EDH wants this all day.

As far as Standard, do we really need anything that causes Castle Garenbrig to generate 18 mana for creature spells or activated abilities (other than Biogenic Ooze)? Seriously, if you create a Voracious Hydra that large, you should just crack someone's dome with it.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

The next set favors big ol' critters? Hmm...
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Sojourner Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
This might be the card that gets Nissa banned from Standard. Turn 3 Nissa, playing this on Turn 4, plus Nissa to untap a Forest and add GGGGGG, use four to cast The Great Henge, and being able to add another GGGGGG? That is Christmasland, yes, but... this kind of nonsense has been known to occur.

Mayael EDH wants this all day.

As far as Standard, do we really need anything that causes Castle Garenbrig to generate 18 mana for creature spells or activated abilities (other than Biogenic Ooze)? Seriously, if you create a Voracious Hydra that large, you should just crack someone's dome with it.
Add Wakeroot Elemental for infinite mana.

Finale of Revelation also seem good as it will net you mana. If you tap 5 lands, that's 15 mana, so spend 12 on drawing 10 cards and you'll gain 3 mana. Then you'll have 15 mana again to spend on all the cards you drew.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Sojourner Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
This might be the card that gets Nissa banned from Standard. Turn 3 Nissa, playing this on Turn 4, plus Nissa to untap a Forest and add , use four to cast The Great Henge, and being able to add another ? That is Christmasland, yes, but... this kind of nonsense has been known to occur.
This + Nissa only lets your forests tap for four green mana, not six - Nissa is adding an additional mana as a triggered mana ability, so this doesn't multiply it. The only other card I can think of that actually multiplies mana is Mana Reflection. Well, and Doubling Cube.

This does look very good though - I'm looking forwards to Reanimateing it as a ritual in my Tasigur deck. Unfortunately, I don't have enough other 7-drops to justify running Neoform to sacrifice a delve'd Tasigur (and there are probably better targets anyway), but that would be a fun line.

Drusus

Post by Drusus » 4 years ago

Nyxbloom Ancient with a Basalt Monolith. So much free mana.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

Everyone's saying "[insert commander here] wants this!" Come on. How many green decks don't want this?! I'm shocked the damned thing only costs seven, has a relevant body, and not just doubles but triples your mana. Triples?! What?

I can't even process the fact that this card exists. I know I'm going to see it a lot, and hate it, but at the same time I want seven.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Drusus wrote:
4 years ago
Nyxbloom Ancient with a Basalt Monolith. So much free mana.
That's infinite actually you make enough mana to untap but still have some in the pool
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Everyone's saying "[insert commander here] wants this!" Come on. How many green decks don't want this?! I'm shocked the damned thing only costs seven, has a relevant body, and not just doubles but triples your mana. Triples?! What?

I can't even process the fact that this card exists. I know I'm going to see it a lot, and hate it, but at the same time I want seven.
To make it crazier mana reflection doubles the mana but cost 6 mana this cost 7 so only 1 more stinkin mana more than doubling it takes just 1 more mana to triple it wow.

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

Desolator's video on this card will be soooo entertaining to watch.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

Serpent_Steve
King of the Elementals!
Answers: 1

Post by Serpent_Steve » 4 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
4 years ago
To make it crazier mana reflection doubles the mana but cost 6 mana this cost 7 so only 1 more stinkin mana more than doubling it takes just 1 more mana to triple it wow.
I mean the one difference here is that Nyxbloom Ancient is a creature (and only a 5/5 for 7 mana) which makes it a hell of a lot easier to remove a creature than a natural enchantment.

Also not every deck will want this. I mean my Kadena, Slinking Sorcerer deck doesn't want this much mana :P. Still I'm surprised the last Theros block had 0 elementals of note for my tribal deck and this one set with 2 (this card and Thryx, the Sudden Storm which incidentally allows this card to arrive turn 6 uncountered)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”