[THB] Black enchantment demon (Magic Noobz)

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

"Image"

It's nice when people put effort into previews, if this video is anything to go on he's a demon and he loves rock n' roll. The die/exile wording on this thing will probably stop it making too widespread a career in EDH.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
The die/exile wording on this thing will probably stop it making too widespread a career in EDH.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can't sack a nontoken and reanimate in response to the trigger and still get the trigger to resolve. Ruling from Arena Rector:
If Arena Rector leaves your graveyard before its triggered ability resolves, perhaps because it's a token and ceased to exist, you can't exile it and won't be able to search your library for a planeswalker card.
But at least it's may and offers some flexibility. I'm tempted to test it anyway in Chainer, just because of the Nightmare part. And also because it kinda helps with graveyard control (e.g. "i want this ETB twice, but then this card is gone so you can't use it").
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

Actually, this is cool for EDH as it lets you trigger for your general, which you can put into the command zone when it is exiled.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 4 years ago

It's very strong for ETB, LTB abilities triggering a second time with the copy. It also double effect of sacrifice outlets.

I wonder if it works in multiple? After "if you do" is fullfilled for all copies in play, so you would get multiple copies? If correct, that would be sick.

lyonhaert

pierreb wrote:
4 years ago
It's very strong for ETB, LTB abilities triggering a second time with the copy. It also double effect of sacrifice outlets.
If you don't plan on getting three or more ETB/LTB triggers from reanimation, yeah.
pierreb wrote:
4 years ago
I wonder if it works in multiple? After "if you do" is fullfilled for all copies in play, so you would get multiple copies? If correct, that would be sick.
Do you mean if multiple non-tokens die? Yes, it would trigger for each of them and you could individually choose to exile each and get a 1/1 Nightmare token copy.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

Works interestingly with the Titans. With Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger specifically, you can pay BR and get that EtB twice and have a 1/1 threatening to do it more if they don't have removal. An interesting option if you have one in your yard already, or just more EtB triggers if you have one in play.

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 4 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Do you mean if multiple non-tokens die?
No, I meant if you have multiple copies of the demon in play.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Nah, this is kind of like sacrificing a creature for an effect, or paying for things with real world money. You do it once and the creature/money is gone.

I don't expect this to make too dazzling an EDH career on the strength of commander recursion alone. Four mana is a nontrivial investment for that, especially as this does nothing against non-death and would also perish in a wipe.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Etrata backup?
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

This guy is pretty good. I like the design. Probably play it in mono-black Golos, most of the creatures don't care if they're 1/1s (e.g. crypt ghast).

lyonhaert

pierreb wrote:
4 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Do you mean if multiple non-tokens die?
No, I meant if you have multiple copies of the demon in play.
Rules-wise, that couldn't happen because of the "... exile it. if you do ..." part. Like in the ruling for Arena Rector, if the card isn't there when the trigger begins to resolve, nothing will happen because it's not there for you to exile it to satisfy the "if you do" part. So multiple demons would each trigger for the same non-token creature dying, but you'd only be able to resolve one per non-token creature at most.
Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
I don't expect this to make too dazzling an EDH career on the strength of commander recursion alone. Four mana is a nontrivial investment for that, especially as this does nothing against non-death and would also perish in a wipe.
But in a wipe it would trigger for each other non-token also dying and you could immediately have copies surviving that wipe if you weren't concerned about recursion for those cards.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
But in a wipe it would trigger for each other non-token also dying and you could immediately have copies surviving that wipe if you weren't concerned about recursion for those cards.
The neat thing is that you'd get a token copy of Nightmare Sherpard, meaning any subsequent non-token creatures you add to the board would gain further insurance.

Granted a lot of black decks have graveyard recursion, but this does get around a lot of graveyard hate, so it is possible that you run this in conjunction with your Living Death, etc still.
For example it gets around Containment Priest and Grafdigger's Cage.

I'm pretty big on this card actually. The fact that it makes a copy of itself when it dies seems like a very resilient card and very hard for your opponents to deal with you not getting value from it.
Last edited by darrenhabib 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

lyonhaert

Doesn't make a copy of itself due to "another non-token".
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Spaz350

Post by Spaz350 » 4 years ago

Honestly, the temptation of curving Ayara, First of Locthwain into this into Gray Merchant of Asphodel is making me want to build some kind of Standard Monoblack Devotion deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”