Pronoun: he / him

Post by Marquis » 4 years ago

That's going straight into my Karlov Deck

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Hey, an actual good white card!

- White gets the 5/5 for three treatment that helped put Thassa and Rhonas on the map. That's an aggressive statline even with the devotion hoops.

- That ability is very powerful. Imagine curving Healer's Hawk into Hushbringer or Ajani's Pridemate into this. Making everyone into a pridemate is good stuff.

This passes my test, which is "I'd almost be willing to play this as just an enchantment without the possible upshot of a massive indestructible threat", and I feel comfortable saying it is the best God of this crop so far.

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

Of note, you can put counters on him or other gods when they aren't creatures, or a creature of your that became an enchantment.
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

Mapccu

Post by Mapccu » 4 years ago

Think soul sisters wants this?

Marquis
Spoiler Master

Post by Marquis » 4 years ago

Given that this is an instant win combo with Walking Ballista i can see this becoming a deck in pioneer

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

Marquis wrote:
4 years ago
Given that this is an instant win combo with Walking Ballista i can see this becoming a deck in pioneer
Abzan Hardened Scales it is. Been slowly pulling those pieces together anyway.
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I really like that he enables the kitchen finks combo. :)

Mapccu

Good catch on ballista. Earliest this goes off is t4 and it requires scales I think. T1 dork, t2 heliod, t3 scales and ballista for 1 (comes in twitch two), t4 go for it. Where this is scarier is when you pocket ballista for t4+ and leave up other interaction the. I tap and just win if your opp taps out.

If felidar was too strong for pioneer then I'm skeptical of the longevity in these pieces. It's still a two card combo and we have absolutely zero playable clean answers to heliod right now if he's never turned on, which makes it harder to interact with than Saheeli aside from discard.

It's not like heliod is doing zero on the battlefield. A dedicated life gain deck really just wants to free up ballista slots for an oops I win. Pride mate gives you a really good main game plan.

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

Mapccu wrote:
4 years ago
Earliest this goes off is t4 and it requires scales I think.
T1: Land, Dork
T2: Land, Heliod
T3: Ballista, Radiant Fountain, activate Heliod

I feel like this will probably go the way of Cat Combo in Pioneer. It's essentially just as easy to setup and is in one color. What really sucks is that it means one of those two cards will be banned and I don't want to see either go.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Arkmer wrote:
4 years ago
Mapccu wrote:
4 years ago
Earliest this goes off is t4 and it requires scales I think.
T1: Land, Dork
T2: Land, Heliod
T3: Ballista, Radiant Fountain, activate Heliod

I feel like this will probably go the way of Cat Combo in Pioneer. It's essentially just as easy to setup and is in one color. What really sucks is that it means one of those two cards will be banned and I don't want to see either go.
This may be banned in Pioneer, but this will also become ubiquitous in commander as it gives white their very own "Mike + Trike" instant win combo - this comboes with either Walking Ballista or Triskelion for an instant win unless opponents are hexproof or disrupt you. Not what I meant when I asked for white to be better in commander, but sure...

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Gosh. Given that Felidar Guardian + Saheeli Rai were broken up in Pioneer, this will definitely have to go the same way immediately. Like WotC already will know the effect it will have, so if they were going to be smart about it, you'd not even let it be a thing.

With Heliod, Sun-Crowned also being indestructible it's almost an impossible combo to stop as well if you were patient. The reason being that you can cast Walking Ballista for three counters, so even if opponents respond with removal, you can respond by doing it again.

I feel like with Splinter Twin banned in Modern that a two card combo that is even more resilient will have to be banned as well.

Mapccu

You can respond to the heliod activation to remove ballista and tax mana if they cast ballista that turn. It's much more resilient than saheeli combo though because you could remove the felidar or burn shaeeli during the combo. Here you have to pretty much stop ballista on the stack or after it gets lifelink.

I do have to point out that saheeli/felidar could go off t6 on an empty board, (felidar blinking a land). This requires significantly more resources at one go, but heliod is probably always going to be in play first if you can resolve it.

Maybe modern playable honestly.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Both of these cards are stronger individually than either saheeli or felidar guardian as well if you construct the deck right.

I could see some kind of bant shell where you get aggro with huge mana dorks and stuff.

Thankfully it's not so good with Coco, or we'd be in for a horrible time.

Mapccu

If it were me, I'd probably hit ballista because it has the potential to cause additional headaches down the line (giving it deathtouch for example). I think heliod is probably fine without it and I wouldn't mind seeing a life gain deck be competitive eventually if even for a little while.

GW scales with the convoke Loxadon from rav 3.0, heliod, and a lifegain sub theme could be very playable.

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
Of note, you can put counters on him or other gods when they aren't creatures, or a creature of your that became an enchantment.
And you can use him to put counters on Afiya Grove.

Huzzah for the most extreme of corner cases!

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

theMarc wrote:
4 years ago
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago

If you don't think I will attempt this, you're wrong

That Idyllic Tutor reprint only assists me in this newfound agenda

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

Jace wrote:
4 years ago
theMarc wrote:
4 years ago
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago

If you don't think I will attempt this, you're wrong

That Idyllic Tutor reprint only assists me in this newfound agenda
Asinine %$#%$#% that only other Johnnies will appreciate > combos that actually win the game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”