[THB] Star City Games Twitter Spoiler - Woe Strider

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

Source:

That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

This card got 5 different numbers on it... I would be hard to remember without constantly reading it, at least at the prerelease.

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

That's a lot of Konrad triggers.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Hey look edh decks now got a loop hole of having 2 viscera seers now

Mapccu

Post by Mapccu » 4 years ago

For standard, not sure if a sac deck will end up having legs. I'm not sure there is enough support for recurring dudes right now. It coming with two bodies is nice though. I'm honestly not familiar enough with the format to say.

For pioneer, it's two bodies with a sac engine and dig for rally decks. I don't see how this isn't a four of. It's got enough extra text to push cartel aristocrat over a bit even if it's higher on curve for rally. The deck green during its time in standard for coco, but it also ran catacomb sifter which led to its more silly turn sequences.

Modern, I think it may be too weak? Although the recursion is much easier to turn on in a format with so much GY synergy. Probably too cute. Horror and goat have no support :p.

Commander, lots of text and options with a reasonable CMC. I think in places where you consider viscera seer you should seriously consider this first. It's an engine that can bring itself back with two bodies in a format that can get very comfortable with all the casting costs on the card. Seems legit great for any creature based deck.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

This looks very interesting. For EDH, it's less efficient than Viscera Seer, but Escape looks really good here. You generally don't need more than one sacrifice outlet at a time, so you can leave it in your graveyard if you already have one. However, if you're missing one, you'll usually be willing to pay a steep premium to have consistent access to one.

I'm not entirely sure what the flavor justification for the goat token is, but it is certainly a nice perk to have - this style of deck always loves extra bodies.

nobody

Post by nobody » 4 years ago

this feels like a user made card rather then a real one. there is so much random stuff going on in it.

TheMagicWord

Post by TheMagicWord » 4 years ago

nobody wrote:
4 years ago
this feels like a user made card rather then a real one. there is so much random stuff going on in it.
Even the flavor of it seems off. We didnt see any of these in the original Theroes. "Uh, these souls are SO evil they turned into gross monsters!" ok.
Check out EDH Magic Online Magic Videos
Check out my The MTG Word instagram for pictures of crazy edh boardstates

Mapccu

Post by Mapccu » 4 years ago

The flavor is you get to offer a sacrifice (goat or another creature) to a recurring (escape) evil (horror) that offers power (scry).

It's a cohesive package but the goat token and the sac ability are redundant in conveying the sacrifice aspect imo.

It feels user made because they're trying to get a single card to convey 3 entities and an action on one card mechanically (the sacrificer, the sacrificee, the creature you're sacrificing for, and the action of sacrifice). All of this is visually represented in the most easily marketable image, the creature.

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

TheMagicWord wrote:
4 years ago
nobody wrote:
4 years ago
Even the flavor of it seems off. We didnt see any of these in the original Theroes. "Uh, these souls are SO evil they turned into gross monsters!" ok.
That's partially because this set focuses more on the underworld than the previous ones, so we are seeing more of what happens to souls under the rule of Erebos. If they eventually become this, no wonder they want to escape.
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”