[THB] Gallia of the Endless Dance

Marquis
Spoiler Master
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Marquis » 4 years ago

I think Satyr's are going to need a real power boost this set for satyr tribal to be relevant

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Gallia of the Endless Dance looks to be a very powerful lord - +1/+1 and haste is a very solid buff. Suffers somewhat from Satyrs not having a ton of tribal support, but there may be some other cards printed - we got a bunch of Minotaur cards (like Kragma Warcaller) on the last visit to Theros.

Random discard is obviously a downside, even if it is card advantage overall - you can't just discard Squee, Goblin Nabob every turn (unless it is the only card in hand). Still, I love the flavor. I don't know if the incidental card advantage is enough to play it without other Satyrs in the deck though.

Evenstar

Post by Evenstar » 4 years ago

Wizards can really push a tribe for a set if they set their mind to it, look at Elementals with M20 and Knights with ELD... This is definitely promising.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

Marquis wrote:
4 years ago
I think Satyr's are going to need a real power boost this set for satyr tribal to be relevant
I think this a more of casual/commander card. People like their tribal decks and I think Theros is the only plane we have seen so far from magic that has satyrs as major race. Reminds me of the random centaur lord we got last time for similar reasons.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

For now satyr tribal is bad since most satyrs are stinky but later down the line it should be a batter tribe

That second ability makes it great for aggro edh decks though
Evenstar wrote:
4 years ago
Wizards can really push a tribe for a set if they set their mind to it, look at Elementals with M20 and Knights with ELD... This is definitely promising.
Actually elemental tribal has ben moving stronger and stronger each day and it's not the first time of major push for that tribe

Lorwyn block was the first time and with a 5-color legend and more and more power elementals slowly happening and still tothis day a vast majority of the sets end up bringing a new toy for the tribe like omnath 2.0 in zendikar for example

And surely that tribe will be pushed again in zendikar 3 that's probably what one of the commander decks might be actually (the 2 zendikar decks)

One day elementals will be a all star tribe up there with the slivers and dragons

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Why look only at Tribal? If Varina, Lich Queen could be played with a non-zombie control card pool, why limit Gallia to Satyrs?

Any creature/token based deck could benefit from her 1-for-2 trades.

Pip_Maxwell

Post by Pip_Maxwell » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
Why look only at Tribal? If Varina, Lich Queen could be played with a non-zombie control card pool, why limit Gallia to Satyrs?

Because Varina is self-sufficient as she can make her own zombie tokens to support her. If Gallia made Satyr tokens, she would also be self-sufficient. Without that capability, her lord ability actually goes unused, which at that point you might as well run a different legendary as the commander. There is a plethora of tribal legendaries where you could ignore their tribal benefit, but its fairly wasteful to do so.

For example with Varina its useful to add things like Zombie Master, Rooftop Storm, Bone Miser, and Grave Titan. As while it still digs into Zombie tribal, its also just generally good cards to run alongside her. Zombie Master provides possible unblockability and safety for Varina, her tokens, and any other zombies. Rooftop Storm makes her free to cast the first time or at least cheaper with commander tax, in addition to other zombies benefiting off this. Bone Miser has high synergy with her discard ability and can also trigger her first effect as well. While not necessairly a zombie in its own right, Grave Titan provides more zombie bodies to synergize with Varina's first ability.

So with Gallia as leader of a 100 card deck, what would make the most use out of her tribal ability? Lumbering Satyr provides everything with forestwalk which means Gallia and your other creatures have unblockability as long as the enemy runs a forest. Willow Satyr gets sturdier with Gallia but can also steal enemy legendary creature (possibly commander) with its newfound haste, and with certain artifacts like Rings of Brighthearth in order to steal two commanders with one activation. Revel of the Fallen God provides, with lord boost, four 3/3 hasty bodies to synergize with Gallia's second ability. Xenagos, the Reveler generates mana based on how many creatures you have, which Gallia encourages, but also is a reliable source of Satyr bodies.

After that, everything else that we currently have ranges from middling to poor, the only reason you run them is because the majority of bodies are there to boost the number of bodies in the deck that synergize with Gallia. While a Varina deck wouldn't run the majority of absolute chaff zombie cards because there are better alternatives, even if the deckbuilder chooses to not go full-on for the tribal synergy.

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

I don't really like anthem or lord effects on legendary creatures. They are nice to have, but really shine on regular creatures likelord of atlantis, especially if the creatures they have to boost are not that high in terms of P/T to start with (see pretty much all satyrs printed to date).
The card draw is nice, but never personally liked discarding cards at random, even if, let's face it, if you are about to use that effect it means you only have currently unusable cards in your hand.

As a commander? Eh, it all depends on how many satyrs they will print in this set and how good they are. Currently there are only 19 cards that are either satyrs or make satyr tokens directly in that color identity. I fear this might go the way of Ulrich of the Krallenhorde: the first legendary card of a tribe that many wanted but was so underwhelming that no one was satisfied with.

As for aethetics, I really can't say if that is supposed to be a female satyr or a pre-pubescent, feminine male satyr. Clothes, name, face and braided ponytail suggest a female satyr, but in that case she is flatter than a surfboard.
EDIT: on the other hand, Satyr Grovedancer is pretty flat too, so it might just be their species.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

gotta keep partying! maybe more satyr support will be revealed later.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Pip_Maxwell wrote:
4 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago

So with Gallia as leader of a 100 card deck, what would make the most use out of her tribal ability? Lumbering Satyr provides everything with forestwalk which means Gallia and your other creatures have unblockability as long as the enemy runs a forest. Willow Satyr gets sturdier with Gallia but can also steal enemy legendary creature (possibly commander) with its newfound haste, and with certain artifacts like Rings of Brighthearth in order to steal two commanders with one activation. Revel of the Fallen God provides, with lord boost, four 3/3 hasty bodies to synergize with Gallia's second ability. Xenagos, the Reveler generates mana based on how many creatures you have, which Gallia encourages, but also is a reliable source of Satyr bodies.

After that, everything else that we currently have ranges from middling to poor, the only reason you run them is because the majority of bodies are there to boost the number of bodies in the deck that synergize with Gallia.
Your comment pretty much supported my claim on why people shouldn't "look only at tribal" when it comes to Gallia; current satyr roaster is not strong enough. I suppose we agree with each other.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”