[THB] MTG Twitter Spoiler: Allure of the Unknown

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

From Twitter:

That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

JoeyB11223
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JoeyB11223 » 4 years ago

Eh could have cost 4cmc? I mean It's basically draw 5 for 5 and by the way your opponent just saw what you drew, they also took the best card from your top 6, by the by they can also play that for free.

Think I'd rather Promise of power or Necrologia etc.

Maluko
Answers: 1

Post by Maluko » 4 years ago

This is an excellent political card for commander. You can team up with an opponent to resolve a difficult board situation for you both. And five cards for five mana is a very good deal, even if you have to sacrifice your best spell in the process. I predict many Commander players, particularly those that love political strategies (looking at you, Queen Marchesa), will be pleased.

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

How exactly would this work in commander, since it uses the phrase 'an opponent' instead of 'target opponent'?

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
How exactly would this work in commander, since it uses the phrase 'an opponent' instead of 'target opponent'?
Caster chooses which opponent, but could choose one they can't target.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
Additionally, they don't have to pick until the spell resolves. This could be useful for bluffing as to which control player will get your free spell, and thus letting it resolve because it might benefit them.

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
Wouldn't it just say target opponent then?

lyonhaert

Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
Wouldn't it just say target opponent then?
As Wallycaine points out, if it said "target opponent" you'd have to pick who as you cast it (and couldn't pick someone with hexproof). This way you can choose any opponent and can keep that a surprise until it's resolving.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Waiting to choose an opponent until after the reveal can be pretty relevant - if one of your opponent's cards is locked under an Oblivion Ring and you flip enchantment removal, you may not want to give them that option. Or, alternatively, maybe you do so they'll pick the enchantment removal and leave you with everything else. Flipping a board wipe and having an opponent cast it for you is also a pretty attractive line. I think I would favor Promise of Power in a vacuum (and definitely in 1v1), but this has some interesting political implications.

Not entirely sure which myth this is alluding to though. Pandora's box?

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Thank you everyone for the clarification.

[mention]Mookie[/mention] given the art and flavor text I'm going with Pandora's Box.

CTNC

Post by CTNC » 4 years ago

I don't know or care how good this is, but I love it. The name even describes why I want to play it. Do I get 5 cards with little drawback or does it backfire spectacularly? I'm happy either way because it's going to make my cards some amazing things through sheer numbers or one of the best cards of your deck destroying you. Maybe even both?

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 4 years ago

This could be really fun with the pact cycle or final fortune and friends. Use scroll rack to stack your top six and then cast this. Throw Hive Mind into the mix for extra spice.

lyonhaert

I like it. I'll get one and try it. Might keep the build in check (e.g., no power blow-outs like Expropriate). On the other hand, "cast it without paying its mana cost" doesn't let them overload or do other alternate costs, but I'm pretty sure they could still pay additional costs.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 4 years ago

It is meant to be played in a combo deck where the combo card th eopponent gets does nothing for them. For example, played in a storm deck, your opponent would get a ritual or cantrip, but you get fuel or pieces for your combo.

At 5 CMC and ditching all lands, it is probably too weak.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

"Lots of arms reaching toward one body? Must be Seb!"
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

pierreb wrote:
4 years ago
It is meant to be played in a combo deck where the combo card th eopponent gets does nothing for them. For example, played in a storm deck, your opponent would get a ritual or cantrip, but you get fuel or pieces for your combo.

At 5 CMC and ditching all lands, it is probably too weak.
This doesn't ditch all lands though? Your opponent can't pick a land, but you still put "all the rest" of the cards in your hand, including lands. In order to exclude lands, it would have to specify "all nonland cards" instead of "all the rest", and also specify where the lands go.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

kirkusjones wrote:
4 years ago
This could be really fun with the pact cycle or final fortune and friends. Use scroll rack to stack your top six and then cast this. Throw Hive Mind into the mix for extra spice.
Unfortunately it's a "may" cast ability.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

This is janky jank from the bowels of Janktown. People seem to be ignoring the fact that an opponent is going to cast the best card, and the fact that lands could take up a hefty chunk of what remains. There are way better options than this. Love that Seb art, though.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 4 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
kirkusjones wrote:
4 years ago
Unfortunately it's a "may" cast ability.
I guess you'd need the Hivemind and two "lose the game" cards then. Harder to pull off for sure, but it still is enticing.

gilrad

Post by gilrad » 4 years ago

I love the design and how every small detail lends its self to political plays in commander, but I'm afraid it might turn into a "Five minute spell" if not policed within groups properly. According to the card, you're allowed to:

-Reveal the six cards to the whole table
-Loudly proclaim to nobody in particular "Now I wonder who will I choose for this spell!"
-Wait for a player to offer picking the least impactful value spell if you choose them (e.g. "I'll choose the Rampant Growth if you pick me!")
-Maybe wait longer as players argue over who deserves to be picked the most (or whether undercutting each other is even the correct play when you're obviously in the winning position!).
-Finally choose a player, and, as long as they're not a backstabbing jackhole they pick the low-impact card while giving you a fist of five cards for a reasonable five mana sorcery.

That said, I do love the potential for this to be a problem-solving card that allows two players in losing positions to balance the board, team problem-solving is one of my favorite flavors of commander politics.

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

People who get too into it and politic too much are a kill on signt relentlessly to me. So let's just say my playgroup would resolve this spell in a timely manner indeed.

Serenade
UnderKing

The exiled card goes to your GY if an opponent casts it, right?

lyonhaert

Serenade wrote:
4 years ago
The exiled card goes to your GY if an opponent casts it, right?
If that's what the card would normally do, yeah. If it's a spell that exiles itself as part of its resolution, then back to exile it goes.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Serenade
UnderKing

You guys love filling your GY! This is basically draw six! =P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”